Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 02-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

No Sorry, but my diff could do with some help after just one meeting .
Car was amazing to drive though
Old 02-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Titanium is not stronger than steel, only lighter. The reason we use Ti turnbuckles for strength is because you can make them a bigger diameter to get the strength, but they are still light as they are made from titanium.

G
Not true; generally speaking titanium and steel alloys are of comparable strength, but as you correctly pointed out titanium is less dense (by around 45%).

You can't say "titanium is not stronger than steel" without knowing the grade, i.e. quality, in question. There are sufficient varieties of both alloy to 'prove' such a statement either way.
Old 03-04-2007

I've read somewhere that Yokomo plates should fit. Haven't tried it myself though.

I use the Kanzen ceramic 3mm balls and WOW : what a difference. I also made diff shields from self adhesive vinyl.

Haven't had a problem with diffs coming loose, but I always put some extra locktite on the diff lock nut. I also compressed the diff spring several times before mounting.
Old 03-04-2007
Administrator

I just got the photos from lee martin at the cactus event. there are 2500 photos so it's hard to find a Tamiya one on there, but I saw one of Hupos car clearly showing the new camber mounts which look a lot stronger.
Old 04-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to grindog

Has anyone had any problems with the wheel nuts coming undone? It happened twice with my front wheels coming off under braking I notice on one of the setups it lists the use of a losi 8/32 locknut but i cant find these. What car are they from?
Old 04-04-2007
Administrator

Yeah we have had that problem.. just loosening off a little during a run. Not sure what can be done about it though. The kit nuts are metric aren't they? so not sure what this losi nut thing can be about unless they were using some BJ4 parts on the car?
Old 04-04-2007

Had the same problem too. And yes, the nuts are metric, so I can't see a Losi nut fit.

Solved it at first by putting some Locktite 222 on the threads. As a more practical sollution, I used some plain ordinary Tamiya steel locknuts from an old touring car I had and they didn't came loose since.
Old 04-04-2007
Lee-Mag

i had this years ago when driving a tc3, i ended up putting the nuts on backwards so the nylock goes on first, suck it and see
Old 04-04-2007
Administrator

the loctite might be worth a try.. Are there any metric nuts with serrations on the back ? you know, so they lock onto plastic wheel and can't move without some proper force.
Old 04-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
the loctite might be worth a try.. Are there any metric nuts with serrations on the back ? you know, so they lock onto plastic wheel and can't move without some proper force.

I used to have them. I think even from Tamiya (Monster Beetle ? ), but they were bloody hard to get off sometimes (Had to spray WD40 on them). I remember they had a goldish colour.
Old 04-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindog View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the wheel nuts coming undone? It happened twice with my front wheels coming off under braking I notice on one of the setups it lists the use of a losi 8/32 locknut but i cant find these. What car are they from?
Both myself and another TRF 501X owner that I get together with have had this same problem due to the alloy wheel nuts.Ive lost 2 drive pins and a wheel on ocassions.I just replaced the wheel nuts with steel ones.
Old 04-04-2007

It seems that there is not enough nylon on the nut. Very annoying for a car of this class! Looks like i will try to hunt out some old cat 3000 nuts and see how they are?
Old 04-04-2007

I have a Losi Type R touring car and the wheel nuts from that kit fit the Tamiya perfectly. Looks like losi have gone metric. it states the thread is a M4 X 0.7mm
Old 04-04-2007

Same issue on mine. I have used the TC4 blue alloy nuts (the less thick) and they fit perfectly! Issue fixed!
I though they were imperial not metric. But they fit. I have heard the Losi alloy nuts fit also.

Gil
Old 04-04-2007
Administrator

Hmmmm. Well I assume the 501X nuts are metric, but I'm not 100%....
Old 04-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Just noticed the rear shock shaft was bent in crash as well!!(rebuilding for sunday) Anyone know what other models fit? Model and part numbers would be great if you know them please
Old 04-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
Just noticed the rear shock shaft was bent in crash as well!!(rebuilding for sunday) Anyone know what other models fit? Model and part numbers would be great if you know them please
Yokomo titanium nitride coated shafts will fit directly:

FRONT: YS-5S-2T (40.7mm)
REAR: YS-5L-2T (49.6mm)

Don't worry about the lengths compared to that quoted in the manual, they use different criteria. The Yokomo shafts are exactly the same overall dimensions.