Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 03-01-2007

Turnbuckles, Associated do some nice Titanium ones that are the right size for the 501, the Yoke ones are a fraction too long, and speaking with RC Champ they are putting together a Lunsford set of the right size as well, however they are waiting on delivery.

As for shock shafts I have no idea, I was going to look at slinging on the up rated DF03 TRF style shocks to see if they worked, and I also seem to remember that Schumacher still have in stock the shock shafts for the CAT3000 in various lengths, might be worth looking at.

I have also tried Schumacher springs and they sort of work as well, might be worth a try.
Old 03-01-2007

What's the difference between the Aerational shocks of the 501 and the blue aluminum shocks made for the DF03?

The aerational ones do not look stylish at all and quite similar in design to the yokomo's and AE's.
Old 03-01-2007

As far as titanium turnbuckles go I've just ordered some from 3racing, but I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities. I got 38mm (spot on) and 48mm (ideally should be 46mm, but they don't do any).

The shock shafts are a slightly trickier problem. However, the Kyosho RB-Ultima Type-R Evolution uses titanium nitride shock shafts that are almost identical in length to those used by the TRF501X:

Front
Kyosho = 37mm (#W6003)
Tamiya = 36.5mm

Rear
Kyosho = 46mm (#W6004)
Tamiya = 45.4mm

I don't know the diameter of the Kyosho shafts for certain, but the various spacers used in the dampers do have internal diameters of 3mm (the manual is available on the Kyosho website).

Plus, I'm assuming Kyosho quote the length using the same definition as Tamiya, i.e. from the lower edge of the lower circlip (used to secure the piston) to the end of the shaft (including the thread). Anyone know any different?

Does this sound like a reasonable solution or have I missed something obvious to everyone, but me?!
Old 03-01-2007

Repeat post - doh!
Old 03-01-2007

Dunc wouldnt mind knowing where you can get hold of those shafts from, if you could give us a clue I would be grateful.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2007

Kyosho have a pretty good presence in the UK now, so I assume most model shops should be able to get hold of the shock shafts for you. Try http://www.kyoshoeurope.com for a list of main stockists.

Personally, I was going to get some bits from RC Champ anyway, so may just tag the shock shafts onto my order.

Whatever route you choose, hopefully they shouldn't prove too difficult to come by.

Did my post convinve you to give them a try too, then?!
Old 03-01-2007

It will save me from going through all my Spare shock shafts to find one that might work.
Old 04-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Kyosho have a pretty good presence in the UK now, so I assume most model shops should be able to get hold of the shock shafts for you. Try http://www.kyoshoeurope.com for a list of main stockists.

Personally, I was going to get some bits from RC Champ anyway, so may just tag the shock shafts onto my order.

Whatever route you choose, hopefully they shouldn't prove too difficult to come by.

Did my post convinve you to give them a try too, then?!
Just ordered some from RC Champ, they are Special order Only 5-6 days from Tamiya! Arse!

Anyone Had any Luck with Pinions BTW?????
Old 04-01-2007

Steve, were you just trying to order more of the standard shock shafts from RC-Champ?

It looks like the Kyosho shafts are a no go down to lack of availability. There appear to be some of the rear ones around, but RC-Champ said Kyosho had sold out of the front ones. A call to Kyosho UK confirmed the fronts are not available and they have zero stock of the rears. Kyosho USA have some fronts, but don't ship to the UK!

I'm going back to plan A and will try the Yokomo shafts. They're not quite the right length, but I'd rather have something that isn't going to bend. I'm being lent a set, so should be able to confirm their diameter in the next day or so.

You never know, they may be better. They should at least suffice until Tamiya (hopefully) release their own version.

If people are interested the Yokomo part numbers are:

40.7mm titanium nitride coated shock shaft #YS-5S-2T
43.5mm titanium nitride coated shock shaft #YS-5M-2T
Old 04-01-2007

Regarding pinions, Helger do the Corally long boss ones. These should do the trick and are good quality.
Old 04-01-2007

Champ Can get them, they are just special order only at the mo!
Old 05-01-2007

Send a message via ICQ to KingBob Send a message via MSN to KingBob
Default Shock shafts

Glad to see i'm not the only one with shock shaft problems.

My 501 had it's maiden race this evening, got hit headon by another driver who was out of control, and actually snapped the shaft where the thread starts. Now i too need to find a replacement
Old 05-01-2007
Administrator

man thats bad luck - I have three sets each of front wishbones, hubs and hub carriers as well as some other bits, never broke or bent a shock shaft in my life so didn't think of it.
Its not a stopper though, stick some B4 front shocks on and carry on racing like it never happened !
Old 05-01-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Just a thought, might be worth trying a set of Dark Impact shock shafts?? they are about the same length?
Old 05-01-2007

The kit shock shafts are rubbish (bendy).

Elliott.
Old 05-01-2007

Do Tamiya use a different material for the Dark Impact shock shafts - I've not seen anything to suggest they do?
Old 05-01-2007

Dunc the uprated TRF style DI shocks do look like they use a different material.

Just had to replace the reciever in my 501, what a pain in the arse job that was, re-routed the arial to use an old schumacher arial mount using the RHS undertray mounting screw as a fixing point, now no more trying to thread the arial wire through the bulk head.
Old 05-01-2007

It's not very clear, they appear to be bog standard steel to me from all the pics I've seen. But then it's very difficult to judge on looks alone. Can any owners confirm material and length (from lower circlip groove to the end of the thread)?

I've not installed, or even used, it yet, but I have a Futaba 2.4GHz system for my 3VCS. The receiver has no external aerial wire at all, just a small 'nodule' on its upper surface. Very cool!
Old 05-01-2007
Administrator

the aerial wire routing is indeed crap at best - ok if you leave your receiver in but I can't afford another receiver so need to remove it after ever race to put in another car
Old 05-01-2007

Dunc you poseur!!!