Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 23-02-2007

Speaking with Spektrum, they say that it all depends on what side of the factory the capacitor was made, good side or the dark side!!!

Apparently there is no easy way to tell.

Would Northy have a dvining stick to find out if the cap is of the Evil or good variety???
Old 23-02-2007
Mad Member

I had ezacly the same trouble with my Zx5, i tried everything.

In the end, a new Ko receiver was used and no glitching at all.

It might be worth the hassle just to eliminate it, could very well surprise you.

Col.
Old 11-03-2007

here is my car today with a very small GM Racing ESC but in future I will dreive a LRP Brushless system.
Old 11-03-2007

Have also a look on my battery guards, I use the ones from academy perfect fitted into the chassis
Old 11-03-2007

and from top, have also a look on the antenna mount, very simple but better than the stock
Old 14-03-2007

Hi,

here is mine:

Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

Good thinking with those cell mounts mobilow - very neat! I will have to look for some of those, do you have a part number? They just slot in without any work right?
Old 14-03-2007

The part number is VP 007 from Academy, but I also see something equal from Yokomo afaik. But you have to cut the chassis. It was easy for me cause I used an old Academy chassis as a stencil. I used a dremel and for the edges a fine diamant dentist tool.
Old 14-03-2007

shell we start a new treat: TRF501X Tuning ?
Old 21-03-2007

Send a message via MSN to grindog

Do you think this layout that i found on the tamiya site is a little impractical? Its supper neat but with the speedo and motor that close, do you think that heat could be a problem with brushless?
Old 21-03-2007

No that looks fine to me, super neat though I like it.
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!
Old 23-03-2007

I attempted to copy the tamiya websites car so rewiring was required

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/P3230023.jpg
Old 23-03-2007

The brushless setup in that car on Tamiya's site is pretty much identical to mine except the speedo is the other way round (the solder tabs on mine are facing outwards, maybe not the best idea so I may well turn it round) and the motor is sitting round the other way with the solder tabs facing forward, and the leads going over the top of the motor. I unsoldered the leads off the motor and soldered on three 3.5mm stubby corally type tube connectors so I can plug in different motors. I've got a 100mm Hall lead on the way as well, the one with my motors are about a mile long! At the moment I haven't got room for the heatsink on the speedo as mine is one of the later evo speed controllers with the bigger power capacitor which woin't fit anywhere apart from on top of the speed controller! I'm not too fussed at the moment, I'm running indoors (with a 5.5 motor set to 60% throttle travel on the transmitter... technically cheating but the guys at the club don't seem to mind) I'll be bunging my 15.5 motor into it when it arrives. For the outdoor series this year I want the motor heatsink with fan, and the clip-on motor heatsink and fan as well, otherwise I can see my motor and speedo getting a bit toasty...
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 23-03-2007

Damn that capacitor! Mine is quite small so is out of sight under the wires.

The car seemed to turn out ok considering the beer intake during this job
Old 26-03-2007

It must have taken me more than a week of messing around before I settled on this set up.
Old 26-03-2007
Mad Member

Wow thats neat!!! Iv had so much trouble trying my new 4.5 gtb in that after having the car fully built up for 3 weeks, it still hasnt turned a wheel.

I came up with what i thought was a neatish install, but now iv got around to fitting the shell and undertray i see that the motor wires are bulging out the shell and look terrible. How do your motor harness wires look as well. Do they bulge the shell out a lot?

Lastly, how did you mount the receiver, i guess youv used a new aerial mount. Have you had any glitches etc.

I'd be really grateful if you could send us some more pics of the install showing the rx and the pos of rotation for the motor etc so that i can re do mine.

Either post them on here or you can email me direct

colinmilner@aol.com

I was literally comtemplating on selling a brand new gtb 4.5 and purchasing a nosram setup as its so awquad with this setup.

I'll take a few pics of mine, and you can see what i mean.

THanks

Col.
Old 26-03-2007
Mad Member

Here we go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3260089.jpg (71.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg P3260087.jpg (76.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg P3260086.jpg (68.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P3260085.jpg (81.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg P3260084.jpg (78.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 26-03-2007

Hello Col,
I know the feeling,I had my car built for a few weeks but it took me ages to work out how to keep wires from fouling the body.I left the body clear but trimmed so I could keep checking for clearance the whole time.In the end I spaced the servo forward a little to allow the GTB to sit a little further forward,rewired the whole GTB and even soldered the motor wires on a distinct angle forward.As for the motor,I turned it so the tabs were facing as low to the chassis as possible and modified some corally type tubes to help with faster removal when needed.In the end the sensor wire does rub on the body and undertray a little but its not bulging or anything.I hope these pics help,cheers-Jason.

Old 26-03-2007

I personally prefer the nosram/lrp setups as the hall lead isn't hardwired into the back of the motor and isn't a mile long, plus it's all shrouded so it doesn't get tangled up in stuff. Also the speedo is a lot smaller, even with the heatsink and fan stuck to the top. I've done the same as Bormac has, soldering stubby corally tubes to the motor terminals and plugging the speedo into the motor. Hopefully in a few days my other motors will arrive and I'll have 4 brushlessesesess ranging from a 15.5 up to a 5.5 and with these corally connectors on the motors I can swop them over without unsoldering them. I managed to thermal my speedo this evening so I'll be investing in a heatsink with fan, I can feel a hole in the bodsyshell coming on though. I might have to see if anyone around here has a lexan vacformer, I can get a new body shell, fill it with plaster of paris, then add a few raised bits and scoops and stuff for cooling the motor and speedo (and batteries!!)
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 27-03-2007

It goes without saying the GTB is not any easy unit to fit into this car.I am very tempted to go back to my brushed set up I have sitting to the side right now.Basically this setup is working ok for me and the car is fast and jumps brilliantly too.