Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > Events Organiser > 10th Off Road Events

Old 03-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I booked time off work to come to this event, if I couldnt make all the days I wouldnt have booked in.
It does seem wrong to allow people to practise on the exact track well before the event! Not that its gonna make a difference to me haha

So in theory we could come along for the whole week leading up to the event and have as much practise as we want.
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
I think it's pretty fair to critisize the fact that people can practice for ages above the majority and it could be ok for everyone, you just don't allow practice until the designated day, then all is fair
They made the track using a new track barrier system. It's a lot less destructive than the previous system. It also means that the layout is now permanent.

So yes the local drivers will have a lot of mileage on the track, but the layout isn't as that hard so in about 2 packs you should be able to workout the "need to know" sections of the track. Then its just a matter of getting the setup right en getting a few packs in.

But if the have the entire thursday to practice and part of the friday, you should be OK by then.

It's not that the UK nationals are held on non permanent tracks, so there are also the drivers with home track advantage. It's just a part of racing. And believe me, in the end it will be bigger names in the top 3. Not the local warriors. But I do expect 1 or 2 making the A-main.
Old 03-01-2011

To the Organisers of EIR 2011,

Firstly I would like to point out that the only reason I am attending this year is because of the GREAT job you guys did last year!!

However, it is VERY important to me, and I'm sure others that work and have families etc... That you make it 100% clear on the entire format. I don't know whether I'm reading different posts incorrectly due to a break down in language? (Though it's 1,000,000 times better than my linguistic skills!!)

I think the format is the same as last year, which is below and the same as last year?

Friday - practice
Saturday - Qualifying
Sunday - Qualifying/Finals

Kind regards,

Matt Owen
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie stella View Post
To the Organisers of EIR 2011,

Firstly I would like to point out that the only reason I am attending this year is because of the GREAT job you guys did last year!!

However, it is VERY important to me, and I'm sure others that work and have families etc... That you make it 100% clear on the entire format. I don't know whether I'm reading different posts incorrectly due to a break down in language? (Though it's 1,000,000 times better than my linguistic skills!!)

I think the format is the same as last year, which is below and the same as last year?

Friday - practice
Saturday - Qualifying
Sunday - Qualifying/Finals

Kind regards,

Matt Owen
Hi Matt,

This is whats on the EIR2011 site ( http://www.blackcountryarena.com/VerEN/uk_EIR2011.htm )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Race format

Qualifications and the finals are run in 6 minutes.
3 minutes were left between each round.
3 best qualifications are selected to compose the final

Thursday, February 3:
Room opens at 10 am.
11 hours free practice

Friday, February 4:
Room opens at 9am
9am to 18 hours of confirmation of commitments
First qualification 13hrs00
4 qualifying races

Saturday, February 5:
Opening of the room and the track at 7 am
Confirmation of enrollment 7hrs10 to 8hrs
First departure at 8hrs30 hours
6 qualifying heats

Sunday, February 6:
Opening of the room and the track 6hrs30
First departure at 7:30 am
6 finals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is incorrect I'm sure Low_E will correct this
Old 03-01-2011

Hello,
The rule is on the webside in English http://www.blackcountryarena.com/VerEN/uk_EIR2011.htm

For the GP of Kampenhout the layout of the track is the same on the year

@+ JP
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadandson View Post
Hello,
The rule is on the webside in English http://www.blackcountryarena.com/VerEN/uk_EIR2011.htm

For the GP of Kampenhout the layout of the track is the same on the year

@+ JP
Thank you.

It might just be me, however, I don't remember any qualifying on the Friday and the link clearly states that the format will be identical to 2010...
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Thx Janus.

To all that think we don't organise the event in a fair way: I'm sorry you feel this way about the whole thing. I can asure you that a LOT of effort has been made to make a new layout, as we do about once or twice a year.

As we are rather few, it is a huge task for us to rebuild all boarding. The people that will come for the second time on our indoor track in Lodelinsart will notice that very big improvements were made.
But building a complete new layout, say about two weeks before the event; just to be sure that everything is fine, nothing overlooked ... and then closing the track for our loyal locals, who have payed for a year-subscription, is simply impossible for us.
The people who reject the whole procedure and want to drop out, can always do so by sending an e-mail to JP (eir2011@blackcountryarena.com) but we will be sorry if you do.

About qualifying on Friday: AFAIK it has always been scheduled that Q's would start on Friday. However, there will still be about 6 Q's on saturday also, and only a few best results will count for the Q-result.
This way we give everybody a maximum of driving time ... and people (as myself) who can only arrive on saturday, will still have plenty of time to get some good results.
(There will be 10 Q's in total and only 3 will be decisive)

and as Janus said:
all info can be found here:
http://www.blackcountryarena.com/VerEN/uk_EIR2011.htm
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie stella View Post
.... and the link clearly states that the format will be identical to 2010...
You are correct. That is an error, I'm afraid.
It will not be identical to 2010

The track will be open for practice from thursday (afternon) till friday (afternoon)
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowie View Post
You are correct. That is an error, I'm afraid.
It will not be identical to 2010

The track will be open for practice from thursday (afternon) till friday (afternoon)

Thanks Ludo!!

Can I reiterate that I DO understand what it takes and am not questioning your decisions. All I wanted to be made clear was when qualifying started and you have now answered that. I'm sure everyone who attends will have a good time as we all did in 2010.

I don't quite understand though that you wouldn't want the same chance as everyone else by missing 4 rounds. Don't forget that it's not always your mistakes that cause you to have a bad run. Why not just reduce the rounds to 6 qualifying and make Friday practice only. It seems to me that all would be fair this way. Anyway this is my opinion only and just an idea for you.

I am still looking forward to my visit next month very much.

Thanks again mate,

Matt
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

When was this public knowledge regarding qualifying starting friday ???????????????????????????????????????????

I have to question the idea of this.... Surely if some people can't make it till Saturday then you will have better chance on the friday evening....

Seems like someone has made an error, and as i am not the only one reading it differently ????
The practice thing has never bothered me, but the starting on friday does... especially if some people may not be there etc.
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
When was this public knowledge regarding qualifying starting friday ???????????????????????????????????????????
AFAIK, from the start.
JP passed me on all texts that would be published on the new to make BCA-site. Among those texts, there was the publicity for EIR 2011 and as such the rules, categories, planning, ...

I just checked the text that I translated, back in august 2010 ... and it allready mentiones 10 Q's, starting on friday(4) , with the remaining 6 Q's on saturday.

Quote:
I have to question the idea of this.... Surely if some people can't make it till Saturday then you will have better chance on the friday evening....

Seems like someone has made an error, and as i am not the only one reading it differently ????
The practice thing has never bothered me, but the starting on friday does... especially if some people may not be there etc.
Well, JP is well aware of the fact that this is different as in other competitions, but it is his idea/purpose to give ALL drivers as much racing time aspossible, thus 10 Q's and 6 Finals ... and all this for a modest entry-fee
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowie View Post
AFAIK, from the start.
JP passed me on all texts that would be published on the new to make BCA-site. Among those texts, there was the publicity for EIR 2011 and as such the rules, categories, planning, ...

I just checked the text that I translated, back in august 2010 ... and it allready mentiones 10 Q's, starting on friday(4) , with the remaining 6 Q's on saturday.

Well, JP is well aware of the fact that this is different as in other competitions, but it is his idea/purpose to give ALL drivers as much racing time aspossible, thus 10 Q's and 6 Finals ... and all this for a modest entry-fee
Ludo, I'm sure Spenner and many others travelling a long way are well aware about value for money etc.... I know it's a modest charge as I would've happily payed double for last years friendliness and hospitality alone.

I think all we want to know is exactly WHAT'S HAPPENING. Please don't take any offence!!

It just doesn't make sense when you mention wanting to cater for your loyal club members when not all of them can make the qualifying on Friday. This surely gives you a disadvantage not being able to do all rounds as I mentioned before it sometimes take more than just good driving to have a good round.

I wouldn't want to out qualify someone like the Big E. I know it won't happen!!!!!!, it's purely an example! Although do you remember that Wednesday night? LOL. And then people turn round and say well he had high scores in the first four rounds cause the other chaps couldn't make it.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Mmmm I'm a bit surprised about the home advantage worries. Our most popular race ever, the belgian GP in kampenhout, is a permanent track with the same layout waaaaaaaaaaay before the event. However that didn't stop any of the UK boys to come over and have a great time on and off track.

Now for the EIR, suddenly this is a problem? Even if you do change the layout drastically, the home advantage is huge on any track. Yes also on any of your national tracks (I've been and raced at 3, making H, F, I and whatever finals where I didn't practise, and C-finals where I did practise only once, on a different layout - reverse direction!).

Also realise that this is an indoor astro track, so the astro doesn't have any sand, rain etc on it, which keeps it very 'fresh'. The effect is that it has weird driving characteristics when a new layout is put. The more you drive on it on the same layout, the more the small hairs fold in the driving direction, and the more neutral the grip gets. So in fact it is very good to open up the track weeks prior to the event. This will make sure that the grip doesn't change too much throughout the EIR2011 event.

Also, JP is still adding features to the track, so the vid you've seen isn't the final track. He also constantly changes small things to make the track better, less prone to breaking stuff, securing the obstacles etc... He also constantly asks a lot of drivers for input and comments, and tries to listen as much as possible. That way you get a track where everybody will like at least some parts :-) I can assure you that the track is getting very good, with a lot of nice features: long turns, chicane, sharp turns, small jumps, doubles, corner jumps, a slippery part, whoops, etc...

And although the track is not easy, it shouldn't be a problem to learn with some 1.5 days of practise available. It's not like it has the southport back section or stuff like that in it
(now THAT'S a home advantage!!!)

I do agree on the qualifying on friday, it's a bit weird, but it's JP's decision and already online from the start (except for the 'same as 2010' error). If the round scores are added by points, this is a problem if on friday only half of the drivers are racing. If they will add up laps and times, it could be fair as you still have a good chance then when only driving on saturday.

Just my 2 cents. Well maybe a bit more
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Personally I don't have a problem with the practice.. It happens everywhere and by the looks of things this track is what they intend to stick with. My only issue is the starting Friday... I was definitely informed it was same as last year, I will still be there although it now makes things more of a rush, and also how many drivers didn't know this and will be there for sat??? This makes the meeting a bit less attractive in terms of results etc??

Anyway, it's done now and I do hope these things can be addressed more clearly in future.
Old 04-01-2011

Hello,

Flipside on the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrLZIm67y4

I have not seen the announcement of the race said it was the same format as 2010.
I propose that the ranking does not take place with points but with the number of run and time (Tours/temps in French). What do you think?
Wouter si tu pouvais mieux expliquer que moi le classement au nombre de tour et au temps ce serait sympa, merci
To help you entainer property, the BRCC decided to open the track all night of Friday.
Again sorry

JP
Old 04-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Was it round by round qualifying last year?
Old 04-01-2011

delete
Old 04-01-2011
Mad Member

What JP suggest is simply adding your 3 best times together, for example:
18 laps in 5m05s
18 laps in 5m13s
18 laps in 5m01s
= 54laps in 15m19s

Do that for everyone and you get a ranking in between round by round and TQ system.

If there are a lot less people on friday (which I doubt), they will have a slight advantage because some heats will have fewer people in them. But the advantage won't be as big as when you take the normal round by round system with points. Of course they also have more runs they can ruin (7/10) while people coming on saturday only have 3/6).

JP also says the track will be open friday all night long. Most people who can't make it friday during the day, will probably arrive friday night. So you can still go to the track and practise as long as you want, so you can start your first Q on saturday with a decent setup.

JP, a possible idea could be to make the 4 qualifs on friday 'controlled practise', like they do on the euro's. Or maybe 2 controlled practise and 2 real qualifiers, if you really want to keep some qualifs on friday. That way most people have 8Q's, and some will have 6, which makes the difference a bit smaller for those people.

Controlled practise is also great to make sure the counting system works well and to have people adjust to the start and ending procedures for each run, marshalling etc... That way, everyone knows exactly what to do in the real qualif, so you don't lose time waiting for marshalls, putting away cars etc...

I'm just thinking out loud, I don't wanna upset anyone! Just trying to help, it's not even in my benefit as I'm not racing the EIR2011
Old 04-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Personally i'd prefer straight 3 out of 10 to count round by round as normal, this give everyone an even opportunity and rewards the most consistent drivers not just the drivers who have had the most track time
Old 04-01-2011

I like your proposition Wouter, 2 Controlled practice and 2 Qualifications

I send a email another drivers to ask it's ok

With discuss today with BRCC Team for the TQ by Round by round

JP