Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 29-05-2016

Default Hello everyone. Looking for some advice please.

Joined Bury Metro today after a 20 year break from RC racing. I used to race at Fitton Hill in Oldham on a Friday night.

I've posted this in general general chat on the main forum so apologies for repeating myself I just thought it would good to hear from people who race on my home track on a regular basis.

I have done some searching on the forum but can only seem to find older posts about this.

I have a 1/10 Schumacher cat k1 aero and currently has a castle motor in that I am not very impressed with and it's far too much torque for the car.

I've seen some old posts about the speed passion v3. I just wanted to ask what your opinions are please. It has a castle creations SCT combo 4 pole at the moment. Will this speed controller be fine with most motors? I have read 6.5T is the way to go for 4wd but some people say 7.5t would be better?

Is the KV rating important? I am running turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 2s 7.4 30c 60c lipo saddle pack if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help. Look forward to meeting you all soon.
Old 29-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Was that you practising down at the track when I left? If so that car is crazy quick and probably too much!

Which motor to go to will depend on the exact Castle setup you have. If you've got a Sidewinder esc you are stuck running sensorless, whereas the Mamba Max Pro has the option of running sensored. Sensorless systems are most common for bashing about, but racers almost exclusively use the smoother more controlable sensored systems. If you have the Sidewinder I'd just sell the esc and motor together and go for a full sensored system. If you have the MMP you could just swap out the motor for a sensored one.
For reference motors that are quoted as 3800kV tend to be sensorless, motors quoted as 6.5t are sensored.

Speed Passion motors have a rep for being a little 'soft', lacking punch compared to similar winds from other brands. However that makes them smoother and easier to control so many people like them. They are also very cheap for decent motors. The main downside is the built in plug system which looks great but you will soon learn to hate....

6.5t is the most common wind for 4wd's these days, but Bury's track layout tends to be more technical than an outright power track and you can run lesser winds without being left too far behind. Your cells are OK, but have a relatively low current rating so I wouldn't use them with a monster power motor as they won't last long.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Was that you practising down at the track when I left? If so that car is crazy quick and probably too much!

Which motor to go to will depend on the exact Castle setup you have. If you've got a Sidewinder esc you are stuck running sensorless, whereas the Mamba Max Pro has the option of running sensored. Sensorless systems are most common for bashing about, but racers almost exclusively use the smoother more controlable sensored systems. If you have the Sidewinder I'd just sell the esc and motor together and go for a full sensored system. If you have the MMP you could just swap out the motor for a sensored one.
For reference motors that are quoted as 3800kV tend to be sensorless, motors quoted as 6.5t are sensored.

Speed Passion motors have a rep for being a little 'soft', lacking punch compared to similar winds from other brands. However that makes them smoother and easier to control so many people like them. They are also very cheap for decent motors. The main downside is the built in plug system which looks great but you will soon learn to hate....

6.5t is the most common wind for 4wd's these days, but Bury's track layout tends to be more technical than an outright power track and you can run lesser winds without being left too far behind. Your cells are OK, but have a relatively low current rating so I wouldn't use them with a monster power motor as they won't last long.
No that wasn't me.......

That's great advice and I am disappointed to say it is the sidewinder. So I will be selling up. How much is it worth? Any idea?

Right so what set up should I go for then? 7.5t motor and a new esc wil be required and by the sounds of it better batteries. I would prefer to stay with the saddle pack though if poss?

Can of worms here me things but what motor, esc and batteries? Please keep in mind I haven't got a massive budget as I have only had the car a week!

Thanks again.
Old 29-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Your batteries will be fine for now, I'd use them till they start to puff up (you'll see) and then replace.

There are plenty of decent esc's out there at not too silly prices. You want a 120A esc ideally - which can be had for around £70 if you get a Hobbywing Xerun V2.1. Its an older model but has an excellent reputation. The Sky Toro TS120 is a few quid more, and more modern.

If that sounds a little steep Speed Passion do a combo of the Reventon R esc (70A) and their 7.5t motor for £75. Its a cheap way to get all the stuff needed, but that motor is right at the limit of what the esc can manage. OK to start with, but you'll want to upgrade further down the line. But then you'll probably want to do that anyway!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)