Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 02-03-2011

now this in one thread i can put a lot of info in this i for one raced at sandown park race course in the middle of it with Mark saddler as a wee lad back then with Terry his dad who was then wasp racing then there was brian, nick adams, kevin moore also back in them days i can even remeber what car i was driving then this was called a bolink digger and the the first cat and the first dogfighter called the superdogfighter-yz10 Terry and his m8 made lots of different parts for many cars as they were the ones who started the multi fit gears by the means of an outter ring gear which was held onto by 6 screws they even made lots of alloy parts for the Tamiya vannessa lunchbox and the midnight pumpkin in the way of bodymounts and gears for them as for the company RW Racing this was owned by Ron Winters who saddly passed away hence the name RW the next name SRM this was a company down in southampton who it was owned by Simon ??? cant think at mo lol but they made parts for the Kyosho mid custom special and the lazer which we run down at the reedy race of champions at new romsey running on a surface of what was known back then as MOT hoggings which turned everything pink when it was wet and the club was run by a guy called Bill Jones if you got on the wrong side of him he would say pack your gear away and go he even told this to a Dutch guy as he went over a fence that was an out of bounds area what ever Bill said went he even at one of the reedy race called in a pump to drain out the bomb hole in his track as it rained all weekend this was funny, at this event the was a new champion called Masami Hirosaka who drove the first cat at a world championship as this was built for him the night before racing commenced he was only 19 then the car was powered by a motor called a uno and not a reeedy motor he was very quick with it he could even drive a car with the transmitter turned upside down back to front and even with his feet as he done a demo doing this i hope this might bring back a few memories like it did to me

spec racing did take over from wasp racing and also they brought out PAP as well
Old 02-03-2011

here some photos for you of some Wasp products

Old 20-03-2011

Default Wasp racing - Terry Sadler, Alan Stote

Hi Gareth, This is Mark Sadler. I have great memories of your dad please PM me so we can catch up.

To all of you that have ,made comment on this forum its great to know that what my dad sold, built, produced or just "re-badged" helped you all out over the past 20 odd years!!

Unfortunately Terry died in January of this year at age 63. He was struck down with a vicious dibilatiting disease that finally got the better of him.
Sorry for the bad news.....

On the up side his grandson now 13 and I still race in the touring car scene although did turn our hands to the buggys over the winter.

Any one wants to talk or catch up then PM me.

I was with Mike Blandford of Racecraft recently he now resides in Isle of Wight.

My mum dug quite a few pictures out so if you want to have a look Gareth or anyone then let me know.

Mark Sadler
Old 15-05-2011

Thanks for all the comment chaps, Huge thanks to someone on the forum that told Mark sadler about this post... i thank you for that massively as you got us in contact

Great to here about the old times the new RC stuff sounds very techy!

all the best and thanks again

Gareth
Old 15-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps3300 View Post
MMS did a lot of the nice black alloy bits for the CAT, as well as Team Tanaplan.

Here is some info and a picture I found of the Fury - hope you like.

That amazing mate! my one was the black anodized body, mark sadler had the red (in the pic)

It's been a long long time since i've seen one of them cars, thanks for the pic bud
Old 17-05-2011

I remember the name very well, as a lad I was a big fan of the band of the same name too which added a bit of coolness to the RC brand. Remember running a portable tape player off the same 12v we used to charge our nicads with to listen to the music. Happy days, thanks for bringing back the memories!
Old 18-05-2011

Thanks again for the nice words

I'm hoping to meet up with one off my old team mate soon to talk about old times (20 years later!) and maybe pick a few bits off him which my dad made!

and for anyone who remembers my dad was Alan Stote.
Old 12-11-2011

Gareth,

We were working with Terry in the 80's on bringing parts to the states. Any relation?

My apologies if this was answered. i didn't read the whole thread.

-Bob
Stormer Hobbies
stormerhobbies.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by G stote View Post
Hello guys

I was on google searching for any information/pictures of my late fathers parts and cars he designed and made which was wasp racing, the search lead me to a different RC forum where someone kindly pointed me in this direction so i thought i might try my luck on here

I was arround 9-10 years old (now 30) when we used to race at sand down race course in a little team, dad made uprated parts for top cats, couger etc along with pinion gears, spur gears, slipper cluches (which on my google search found some in oz!) he also designed his own car which he made 4 of, the 4 cars where anidized red, blue, bare aluminium (first car made) and black which was mine.

If anyone has any pics of the cars, parts or any info i'd love to hear/ see it!

Radio race car done a few articals on the car and parts does anyone have them issues?

I know its a long shot but worth a try!

Thanks in advance

Gareth
Old 20-12-2011

Great thread. Sorry to hear about Terry.

We had LOADS of parts off of Wasp, my dad (David Hart) used to call into Morningside garage pretty much every week I think... Matched SCE's, checkpoint motors etc etc.

Had a Wasp gearbox for my Procat which did away with the 2 rear belts that always got crossed up and shredded. I think the Fury used the same setup?

Yes, still using the sodering iron...
Old 28-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Gareth,

We were working with Terry in the 80's on bringing parts to the states. Any relation?

My apologies if this was answered. i didn't read the whole thread.

-Bob
Stormer Hobbies
stormerhobbies.com
Terry and my father worked together, my dad done the machine work (or some of it).

Mark was Terrys son, i believe his user name is masons 01.

I seam to remember my dad (Alan stote), Terry Sadler, Mark Sadler and a few other went to the states with some products, whether thay went to sell products or race i'm not sure? i was very young at the time so was'nt invited/or alowed to go

cheers

Gareth
Old 28-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
Great thread. Sorry to hear about Terry.

We had LOADS of parts off of Wasp, my dad (David Hart) used to call into Morningside garage pretty much every week I think... Matched SCE's, checkpoint motors etc etc.

Had a Wasp gearbox for my Procat which did away with the 2 rear belts that always got crossed up and shredded. I think the Fury used the same setup?

Yes, still using the sodering iron...
Yes the Fury had a geared set up rather than belt.
Old 07-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamxray View Post
now this in one thread i can put a lot of info in this i for one raced at sandown park race course in the middle of it with Mark saddler as a wee lad back then with Terry his dad who was then wasp racing then there was brian, nick adams, kevin moore also back in them days i can even remeber what car i was driving then this was called a bolink digger and the the first cat and the first dogfighter called the superdogfighter-yz10 Terry and his m8 made lots of different parts for many cars as they were the ones who started the multi fit gears by the means of an outter ring gear which was held onto by 6 screws they even made lots of alloy parts for the Tamiya vannessa lunchbox and the midnight pumpkin in the way of bodymounts and gears for them as for the company RW Racing this was owned by Ron Winters who saddly passed away hence the name RW the next name SRM this was a company down in southampton who it was owned by Simon ??? cant think at mo lol but they made parts for the Kyosho mid custom special and the lazer which we run down at the reedy race of champions at new romsey running on a surface of what was known back then as MOT hoggings which turned everything pink when it was wet and the club was run by a guy called Bill Jones if you got on the wrong side of him he would say pack your gear away and go he even told this to a Dutch guy as he went over a fence that was an out of bounds area what ever Bill said went he even at one of the reedy race called in a pump to drain out the bomb hole in his track as it rained all weekend this was funny, at this event the was a new champion called Masami Hirosaka who drove the first cat at a world championship as this was built for him the night before racing commenced he was only 19 then the car was powered by a motor called a uno and not a reeedy motor he was very quick with it he could even drive a car with the transmitter turned upside down back to front and even with his feet as he done a demo doing this i hope this might bring back a few memories like it did to me

spec racing did take over from wasp racing and also they brought out PAP as well
Maybe are paths crossed many moons ago then? i would of been around 9-12 years old at the time though racing mostly at sandown.

While putting the chrimbo decorations in the loft i come across a couple of old trophy's

One from sandown i believe and one from chesham, was chesham the track with the big banked corner with writing on it, really good track?

Old 07-01-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Awesome, Sandown was fun...
Old 07-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by G stote View Post
One from sandown i believe and one from chesham, was chesham the track with the big banked corner with writing on it, really good track?
The track you describe was EPO (Eden Park) now known as EPR in sunny South London.

Chesham, was the lare grass track next to the "Deep Mill Diner" on the road between Amersham/Chesham and Great Missenden. It had a couple of permananent lumps and bumps in it, one in concrete. Always had a HUGE long straight too
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
The track you describe was EPO (Eden Park) now known as EPR in sunny South London.

Chesham, was the lare grass track next to the "Deep Mill Diner" on the road between Amersham/Chesham and Great Missenden. It had a couple of permananent lumps and bumps in it, one in concrete. Always had a HUGE long straight too
Having a flick through google images the EPR track look as i remember, big green rastrum with the fence around the track although the track was very different back then ..it used to have a more jumps and a adverser camber step up?
Old 18-08-2012

Gareth...

Wow... it's amazing that I found this thread. Sooo many years have passed... I hope you remember me and the great times we had racing at Sandown.

I must admit I was terribly saddened to hear about your Dad. He was an amazing inspiration to me at such a young age. Something I held on to for a long time... even after I had left the hobby. I remember going to his house to buy a used ProCat from him... that thing was tricked out like no-one could imagine these days. The precision engineering was 2nd to none. The pepperpot wheels... the slipper clutch.. etc etc. amazing.

Do you remember the days??... (apologies to most but this was a personal major part of my life) spouting names.... It was me and Stuart Cartwright pitted together... then there was you & your Dad. Mark Saddler.. Guy & Bob Walker... Barry Gunson.... Andy Matton... I wish I could remember more. I apologise for my poor memory....

Not That I can contribute loads... but hey.... They were great times.... and your dad was someone I looked up to in a big way.

Mark - If you read this.... I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. He was an absolute legend to me. Your Mum & Dad took me in, and let me do my frickin work experience at their place!!!! I can't image many do that! I have sooooo many fond memories of those days..... wow.

Well.... my fond past aside.... I have now re-kindled that flame.... I currently live just west of Houston... where the RC scene is pretty massive. Sh!t I have to learn to do jumps now!! haha.. I love it... and wish I were better like we all do.

So... Gareth. I hope you are well... and possibly that you remember our racing escapades. We had fun... That's what it was all about.

My best regards to you all,
Paul Manwaring
Old 18-08-2012

I think that I used to run a wasp belt on my cat xls. They were far more reliable than the original schumacher ones.

Did they used to do a ball diff as well ? For the xls.

The club that I first raced at was oaks park ramblers.

Old 18-08-2012

wow there are some names on here that bring back memories, I still see Guy Walker now and then, and his brother Jamie is best mates with my brother James, unfortunately Bob Walker passed away 3 years ago.
Andy Maton is still out there racing and we have crossed paths too in recent months back at EPR where we did quite a bit of racing as youngsters!!

Darren is right Chesham was a huge track with a massive straight and the big issues in those days was getting the duration out of your 16 double and 1200 batts or whatever we ran!!!!!

Yes there was a belt for the XLS, orange i think,

Wasp did a rear one piece light alloy diff to replace the 3 piece version that came originally with the cat breed of cars, As did MMS which made them from nylon.

I think Sandown Park racecourse now has a go kart track where we used to race. i remember the trailor there that had a shed attached to it, that was race controll during the day, where Bob would be, and once the meeting ended all the sand filled hoses and tyres would go in there and then it was hidden round the back so it couldnt be seen from the grandstand otherwise they kicked off about it.
Funny tho because we absolutely destroyed the grass and that could definately be seen from the grandstand.
Buggys were slowing down towards the end, and hybrid touring cars were coming into play, people were running touring car shells on buggys that had limiters in the shocks to take away the droop and foam tyres

Surrey radio controlled model car club then moved to Tolworth and built a purpose built on road track which went on to run for many years with the birth of touring cars and the F1 tamiya cars.....

7 years ago I took my then aged 6 son to race, he went on to race nationally in touring cars and has gone on to buggys and was top junior under 16 in the mid south this year.

Thanks dad it costs me a fortune!!!

I'll dig some pictures out and get Dudders to put them on here because I havent got a clue!!!

Thanks for the kind words for both Alan and Terry, Gareth Alans son and I are pleased they did a good job.
Mark Sadler
Old 07-09-2012

Great thread. I remember wasp well. I started racing at Surrey radio control car club in 1986 and Mark Saddler, Guy Walker and a chap called Tom Colthard were unbeatable. I remember the swb cat had just come out and Terry Saddler was having to explain how to build the cars as the instructions were so poor!

It's amazing how many drivers from the club are still racing. There were so many great clubs back then and so much invention in customising kits. People I speak to now can't believe the number of healthy clubs and series that existed.

I saw the wasp car at the go at the nec (one of the most amazing meetings I have attended), it was a nice bit of kit with deleting wishbones etc. it suffered from being a bit heavy from memory.

If you do want pics of the old club I think I have some, with everyone racing on old school chairs!

Thanks for the memories,

Luke
Old 07-09-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Mark,

Bring them to the Apex meeting, I'll scan the 100's in....

All photos of the old days are ace!