Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-12-2008

Default When will it be allowed to race using just "electricity"?

I don't really get this whole list thing.
Which battery is legal to race with? What size and so on?

Finally lipos are getting acceptable but you still have to stick to the ones that are legal according to some list.

Why not just drop it and let people race on whatever batteries they choose??
Be it NiMh, LiPo, LiFe hell even Pb!
Old 19-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
I don't really get this whole list thing.
Which battery is legal to race with? What size and so on?
you will if you read this BRCA Electric Board
Old 19-12-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

The electric board is there to keep everyone involved in the sport safe, making sure that the batterys used and motors we use are safe and suitable for the job. It also help set an international standard so that all races around the world are usign the same type of batterys motors so that when they race each other they are on a level playing field.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 19-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Saying that is a bit naive, i mean its like telling F1 teams they can do what the hell they like to there cars, it just wouldnt work for the sport.

Rules and regulations, especially regulating performance parts like this is to keep it fair for everyone, otherwise teams with almost unlimited money (for example, the AE factory team) will be able to develop there batteries and stuff to make them perfect, which will kill off people who are funded off there own backs.

Anyway, theres plenty on the BRCA board to use, its not like your gonna get stuck.
Old 19-12-2008

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
The electric board is there to keep everyone involved in the sport safe, making sure that the batterys used and motors we use are safe and suitable for the job. It also help set an international standard so that all races around the world are usign the same type of batterys motors so that when they race each other they are on a level playing field.

A
you sure about that?
example

lipo saddle packs are safe and suitable for the job, yet not legal
nimh blow up, yet we can use em
only uk and efra follow eb list, rest of world dont, different lipo list, some dont use the eb some dont use parts of it
Old 19-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
lipo saddle packs are safe and suitable for the job, yet not legal
nimh blow up, yet we can use em
At what point will you grow out of your anti-NiMH pro-your-sponsors-product agenda?

To keep making blanket statements like "NiMH blow up and LiPo are safe" does not help racing safety at all.

All cells are dangerous if treated improperly.

The spate of unexpected NiMH failures happened with one type of cell which is no longer on the market. I think most NiMH users would agree that the most recent cells are a lot easier to care for and do not pose any more risk than any other type of cell on the market.
Old 20-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
At what point will you grow out of your anti-NiMH pro-your-sponsors-product agenda?
I agree, it was getting old a year ago when the BRCA banned the dangerous cells. Reminds me of software companies who tell us all how dangerous the internet is unless we buy their own anti-virus software instead of just giving sensible advice.

Telling those of us who have happily used nimhs since 3000s first appeared, and the majority of r/cers (the bashers) who use 2400/3000/3700mah batteries, that they can all blow up doesn't persuade anyone to throw them all away and replace them with lipos it just chases people away from the hobby.

As for the "safe" lipos, if they are that safe why are they having to be scrutineered to make sure no one is charging them over voltage or warming the packs.

Back to the topic, if there was a free for all then there would be nothing to stop a manufacturer creating a new cell at any time, if a new cell is available just before the last round or two of a championship that's visibly better it means everyone buying new cells for one or two events.
Or if another new cell is again visibly better than all the rest, if there's a free for all if Horizon Hobby import them they hang on to the newest cells for their Losi drivers as with no EB list (specifying they must be readily available) there's no reason to let Associated drivers run them.

The EB list also ensures the batteries are available in the UK, through an official distributor, rather than everyone having to buy them direct from the far east. It also ensures batteries have a maximum price limit, I remember the early 90s when without a price limit US racers were paying the modern equivalent of £100-120 for team spec battery packs. Any pack on the EB list has to sell below the BRCA price limit.
Old 20-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
I agree, it was getting old a year ago when the BRCA banned the dangerous cells. Reminds me of software companies who tell us all how dangerous the internet is unless we buy their own anti-virus software instead of just giving sensible advice.

Telling those of us who have happily used nimhs since 3000s first appeared, and the majority of r/cers (the bashers) who use 2400/3000/3700mah batteries, that they can all blow up doesn't persuade anyone to throw them all away and replace them with lipos it just chases people away from the hobby.

As for the "safe" lipos, if they are that safe why are they having to be scrutineered to make sure no one is charging them over voltage or warming the packs.
He'll never get over it, and as for being a good advert for his sponsor...

LiPos are just on their up-cycle, so expect to have to replace them regularly as the new ones come along. Just look on the US forums at all the things now being peddled in the name of LiPo - reminds me of NiCad/NiMh a few years back!

The reality is that if you can drive, you can drive, and if you can't, no amount of battery technology is going to make a difference. Just buy something off the list and race often. Gary Player was accused of being a lucky golfer. His reply was "the more I practice, the luckier I get."

LiPo will simply bring different problems, it won't be as simple as people think. Buy and enjoy, don't sweat it!

(Talking of software, I saw this on someone's strapline on another forum. "The box said use Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux." Just tickled me...)
Old 20-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post

To keep making blanket statements like "NiMH blow up and LiPo are safe" does not help racing safety at all.

All cells are dangerous if treated improperly.

The spate of unexpected NiMH failures happened with one type of cell which is no longer on the market. I think most NiMH users would agree that the most recent cells are a lot easier to care for and do not pose any more risk than any other type of cell on the market.
posting incorrect facts again i see!

ib 4200 your refering to
so what about the ep's that were poping and also at a 12 th national this year where a cell on the current list went bang.

to the above 3 i have nimh, still use em, so that kinda sh1ts on your comments
Old 20-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

[rant]

Ffs, any cell can explode! iv seen a GP3300 go bang, but it WAS the IB4200's that were regularly exploding and causing major problems, not the EP cells. All the bad press focused on the IB4200's.

Also, i have seen a modern cell explode at one of this years indoor regionals, it was an NRG 4600, i dont know how it had been treat but it was a modern cell off the modern list, but only 1, there not going bang left, right and centre.

Why dont you trust your cells? do you not trust yourself to charge them sensibly? or is it just paranoia? I trust my cells and have no reason not to. I dont equalise too often, i dont notice a performance drop and have never had a problem. I look after them, they are charged to a strict temp cut-off and milivolt cut-off so i have had no problems and wont have any problems.

I find all the crap about NiMhs being old technology and not safe ect ect really annoying. I know that nimhs are perfectly competative, i know nimhs are perfectly safe when treat right, i also know that lipos are perfectly competative and perfectly safe when treat right. And one more this, i know that both nimhs and lipos can be very dangerous when not treat correctly.

[rant/]
Old 20-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
[rant]

Ffs, any cell can explode! iv seen a GP3300 go bang, but it WAS the IB4200's that were regularly exploding and causing major problems, not the EP cells. All the bad press focused on the IB4200's.

Also, i have seen a modern cell explode at one of this years indoor regionals, it was an NRG 4600, i dont know how it had been treat but it was a modern cell off the modern list, but only 1, there not going bang left, right and centre.

Why dont you trust your cells? do you not trust yourself to charge them sensibly? or is it just paranoia? I trust my cells and have no reason not to. I dont equalise too often, i dont notice a performance drop and have never had a problem. I look after them, they are charged to a strict temp cut-off and milivolt cut-off so i have had no problems and wont have any problems.

I find all the crap about NiMhs being old technology and not safe ect ect really annoying. I know that nimhs are perfectly competative, i know nimhs are perfectly safe when treat right, i also know that lipos are perfectly competative and perfectly safe when treat right. And one more this, i know that both nimhs and lipos can be very dangerous when not treat correctly.

[rant/]
trust em? if i didn't id not still use em.
Old 20-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
trust em? if i didn't id not still use em.
Oh eye, misread your comment on that