Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 23-08-2006
Administrator

Default jumps

ok, so not everyone went to the euros this year, but if you did you'd notice the great jumps there which really made the track interesting.

So, who is up for some track work at batley some time ? The double at batley is silly, its just a full-blast hold-on-and-prey job. turn it into one part of a bigger, slower double or triple jump (or even quad!) . Something that cant be ramped at full speed and needs a little timing to get maximum speed through the section.

I dont mind the table top too much but the wheels have no part in jumping that ramp. It is purely the chassis smacking into the face of the jump which sends the car airborne! Give it a smoother take off, flat top (no step) and smoot down slope. nothing much higher than it is now, just nicer to race on.

Any thoughts ? If we went ahead and did some work to the jumps, any ideas how ?!?
Old 24-08-2006
Admin

I'd be prepared to assist
Old 24-08-2006
Administrator

Any idea what we could make the jumps from ? I mean, if they are permenant they need to be pretty solid things.
Old 24-08-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Astro and dirt I imagine but at good angles, thats what all the Southport bumps and middle jump is made out of and they are holding up pretty well.
Did you get a chance to see what the Euro jumps were made with.. under the carpet?

I know on a few yank forums i've seen a link ponder around for making motocross jumps, not the same as our class but apparently if its scaled down it can be made in to a pretty useful guide.
Old 24-08-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

If you want to have them as dirt jumps jim try and use soil with a good bit of clay in, it'll hold together better and the trannys wont get to cut up.

Shape wise, probably want doubles to be rounded but that doesnt work so well when they are large so i prefer to square off the lip of the take off and round out the landing a little. Table tops i'd square off the lips otherwise they are to easy and just mounds.

Shape of the takeoffs i'd say they should be straight for the last 2 thirds of them, with the first third transitioned for a nice smooth entry. Landings the same really, but with a shallower angle and less transition to flat. Slight anti-transitioned landings are a bit easier to land on. Kickups at the lip are a bad idea really in general, they will either kick the car nose up or clip the rear and send em nose down..

It all depends Jim on how tech you want to make them.

Motorcross dimensions would work fairly well but i'd make the takeoffs a little steeper.

Last edited by craigosh; 24-08-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 24-08-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd def be up to help with some more jumps

We need a table top after the big double, another double would be good there but you'd get plenty of snappers from people trying to clear it and landing chassis first on the peak of one of the jumps.

A small double on the straight before the table top would reduce the speed we hit it. Personally I like the table top as it is, there's a definate knack to landing the downslope. If we made the up ramp less violent the cars wouldn't go as high so landing it properly wouldn't be as effective.

We could do with some jumps toward the back of the track, although nothing too difficult with it being far away.
Old 24-08-2006

Something that i havent seen yet at a track is a flat top tripple..

Basically a triple but the middle is a table top section so what you'd have is a jump that the brave could jump and the not so brave could jump to the flat top and power off... both will need timing to get right but its not as bad when you get it wrong as a tripple or 4 pack...

would be good as well if it was a little bit of a step-up also.
Old 24-08-2006
Administrator

yea I do like the tabletop, its crap ! but it works. it shouldnt work quite as well as it does if you get my meaning. and yea, I can down slope that thing all day but theres not that much advantage to it in the heat of battle since its not that big.. still, you DO need to slow down for it and having a jump before it is the perfect excuse to slow things down.

people do break stuff going over the double now just because of the speed.. cars are in the air so long that who knows where they will be when they come down, often on their side or wing.. ! lol
I think a couple more jumps, one either side of the current double (and fill the double in to make it a single) would be top.

I despite flat-bottom landings where you basically hold on and prey..
Old 24-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy

I despite flat-bottom landings where you basically hold on and prey..

Thats my view as well, it's ok to have little kickers that end with a flat landing but i think tracks here in the UK need bigger better jumps that require some skill.. Bring some motorcross/bmx race ideas into it all.

And lets not forget jumps get people interested....
Old 24-08-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

If anyone remember Eden Park Overlanders that track was amazing!!!! The best features i have ever seen and raced on, and probably the best track ive ever seen in the UK!!
In just one half of the lap it had a double, and massive table top, cobbles and a bomb hole! I can remember the track so clearly, even after all these years.

Those who raced with me in Mid-South back in the 90's would remember it.
Old 24-08-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Here's the guide I was on about:

http://www.racingsmarter.com/supercross_track.htm
Old 24-08-2006

It would take a lot of work but, remove the current double and put in the 'Euro's' double double, it would be just the right length.

I would be up for helping to do it
Old 24-08-2006
Administrator

I agree tom, that would be perfect. I dont know how many people broke their cars over the double double at RMC Wien, but I'd guess it was very little. It was quite a slow set of jumps and getting it wrong usually meant a little roll but no breaks.
Old 24-08-2006

i like your thnking tom i discussed this with jimmy when i droped his stuff off after the euros he wasn't convinced, personally i think it'd be great and would work well.

As for the table top i would personally like to see it made bigger ie higher but with better profiled up/down slopes.

Another ider would be to make the tabletop T shaped as this would allow greater scope for track layout as it could be run as a pure table top or as a cross-over as Scotty would call it.
Old 29-08-2006
Mad Member

If you do go with the idea of making the table-top T shaped, then it might be a good move to make the T leg double width. THat way you can use it twice in a track layout.

While on the subject of Batley track, have you had much problems with the new houses at the rear. i.e. noise complaints??