Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 11-04-2008

Coming out of corners oversteer can be easily cured by either less anti-squat, softer rear springs or lowering the inside ballstud @ the rear. I would try the springs first
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 12-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Go back to the original chassis ............ get an SP suspension upgrade pack (LAW35) and it will all be sorted.

I've tried a KMC converted car (bought off ebay, sold 2 weeks later) just out of interest and it was very, very poor compared to the standard chassis arrangement!! It was the rear end that was the problem there too.
Old 12-04-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Go back to the original chassis ............ get an SP suspension upgrade pack (LAW35) and it will all be sorted.

I've tried a KMC converted car (bought off ebay, sold 2 weeks later) just out of interest and it was very, very poor compared to the standard chassis arrangement!! It was the rear end that was the problem there too.
It had been fine up until recently. I've been running the KMC chassis for ages now and really like it - even more so outside.

It's either something to do with going brushless and the way the power is delivered is causing the problem, or it could be something as simple as the last set of tyres I put on (we all run yellow full spikes) are duff.

Something has to be causing it!!
Old 23-04-2008

I'm quite sure this have been posted here some place... But does anyone have an chart for the Kyosho shock pistons versus the Associated pistons?

Are they quite similar, or are they way different?

Thanks for answers!
Old 20-05-2008

im running stock set up anyone got any suggestions on who to git rid of a on power push
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Which car ...... ZX5 or ZX5-SP??
Old 20-05-2008

is a sp
Old 21-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What sort of surface and what tires are in use front and rear?
Old 21-05-2008

hard packed clay high traction, using inside jobs all around, no oneway. im starting to think im just goin to have to deal with it
Old 21-05-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

A one way will remove lots of power on understeer.... but can make the car twitchy on very bumpy high traction tracks, should be okay on clay though I would think.

Give it a try!
Old 21-05-2008
Woop Woop Member

either add the oneway as that will aid on power steering, try 10 degree blocks as on the standard zx5 they gave you less going in but more coming out or posibly try adding a degree or 2 of rear antisquat as this will make the car try and climb up itself under power so will give you more onpower steering. hth

nathan

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 18-06-2008

Right then - built and now fine tuning a few bits to RogerM's set up as a good starter for the weekend coming. (Our track - outdoor, grass, bumpy to very bumpy, jumps and high grip.)

Front
Q1 - I can't quite read location of ball stud on front Hub on the set up sheet posted. Is it toward the front or back?
Q2 - Axle height spacer - is this the location of the spacer itself, or the result of the location of the spacer (I hope that makes sense)

Rear
Q3 - Hub spacing. It states back. Do you put the spacers at the back - therefore Short wheel base, or is it the Hub at the back therefore Long Wheel base?

General
Q4 - I have followed everything, but the ride height is pretty high - i.e I have unwound the rear shock adjusters all the way and only now are the wishbones just showing level. On the Front the same and have the drives showing level (slightly smiley wishbones) I notice 3.75mm on the ride height for the front? Where's that measurment from and too?

Phew - that's it!
Old 30-06-2008

I took the recently upgraded ZX5SP for a spin yesterday.

Turning not as tight as I would like, but I think I have a solution for that.

Real problem was the corning stability. Taking it fairly easy, plenty of grip, but it kept going up onto 2 wheels. Push any harder, it was going to roll it's way back to the eighteenth century. The camber link is raised as high as it can go on the rear hubs, but anymore and it will rub on the inside of the wheel when drooping. Could put spacers in the rear shocks to limit the droop and then put more spacers than the existing 3mm on the rear hub, but don't really want to, as I hear that's not such a good thing.

Anyones thoughts on this would be great.
Old 30-06-2008

have you tried cutting spikes off the outside of the front tyres, 1 row at a time, 2 rows max. You could try and get the car to roll more (raise inner ball stud or lower outer) so that you can see it going and have a chance to steer out of it, instead of it just leaping off the track with no warning. My final suggestion maybe to stiffen the rear springs so that the car doesn't just dump and roll. Post a set-up and myself or Roger can help (we need to know where you are to see where you could go)
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 30-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
have you tried cutting spikes off the outside of the front tyres, 1 row at a time, 2 rows max.
I took the 1st outer row on the fronts. Turning circle was pretty wide so I didn't dare take another row off. (Although on the S4 I have two rows off and it's superb now). I think I'll adjust the ball studs on the steering rack slightly as its just clipping the gear box. Once I have done that it should get a touch extra steering and I'll be happy to take another row off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
You could try and get the car to roll more (raise inner ball stud or lower outer) so that you can see it going and have a chance to steer out of it, instead of it just leaping off the track with no warning. My final suggestion maybe to stiffen the rear springs so that the car doesn't just dump and roll. Post a set-up and myself or Roger can help (we need to know where you are to see where you could go)
The set up was copied (as best I can - see last post) to RojerM's posted one. Oil, springs, shock type etc. Shock mounted positions are all the same. I did have a couple of queries, but your reply has just highlighted an obvious error on my part. I was raising the rear hub spacer - I need to lower it there and raise it the inside to let the car roll.

I'll make the changes, take another row off the front tyres, give it another spin and I see what happens. On some areas of the track it was a totally different car - much improved and am looking forward to getting it tweaked.

Once that's done I'll post up a set up sheet and results.

Thank you
Old 01-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok ......

firstly the set up has moved on a little since then ..... still need to get it hosted but my PC at home, with the set-ups on, has had an OS failure and I need the time to get the data off the HDD before I re-instal .... will be weeks before I have the time!

I will try to write it in words later when I have a moment....

You need to take a fair amount of the material off the ball cups for the inner end of the track rods .... some people I know have gone to the Yokomo rose-joints as a solution but you don't need to ... just trim generously!!!

Once you have free movement of the rack trim the parts off the chassis the bell cranks touch right back to the thicker section.

Now you'll turn inside anything!!!

As Simon said, post up a set-up exactly (inc tires and track surface) and we'll try to help ..... can't say I'm short of steering!!!
Old 20-07-2008

Default lazer zx-5 sp setup help.

hello, i have just assembled my lazer zx-5 sp and i was wondering if there was any need to know information regarding the setup on this car. i was especially wondering about the front and rear toe in or out and what degrees either way would be the best for an all around race setup. also anything else would be much appreciated. also what would be a setup change that would help keep the back end of the car from sliding around. thank you very much.

boots.
Old 30-08-2008

Maybe one of the most drawn out sagas but.....

I am trying to eliminate the bump steer on the ZX5 SP - It's aweful.

Steering knuckle as standard (thought about switching them but looks like they'll knock into the wishbone?)

Spacer under the Hub Carrier. (Attempting to lower steering knuckle), slight change but not enough to write home about.

Really need to raise link on the steering rack - but obviously doesn't go any higher than it's higher of 2 settings.

Do you run your car with bump steer and live with it or am I missing something?
Old 19-09-2008

For the original ZX-5...are there specific part breakages that I should be concerned about ie) upgrade.

I just bought the 3Racing chassis and I was wondering if it would be worth while to upgrade to the carbon shock towers and center piece. Are there any aluminum upgrades that I should consider for added durability.

Kyosho Lazer ZX-5
4PK Futaba FASST
Old 19-09-2008
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I run alu tower mounts on mine, both as an original and an SP. Mine is quite an old car and the material is supposed to be much stronger now, so may not need doing. Other than that I've never broke anything that I've not broken on any other car. Seems to be as strong as most others