Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 28-06-2014

Default help on bosscat diff

Hi all - Well my bosscat rear diff died today.

It was the plastic diff outputs! The trilobe washer buried itself in them.

Does any one want to part with a alloy set for some dollar.

Alternatively if these are really hard to source if someone could supply a accurate drawing or lend me a set I will convert into 3D data and get some cnc machined at work.
Old 29-06-2014
Awesome Admin

They do pop up from time to time but if you have the capability to make some then I may be able to help you out with a pair to work from.
Old 29-06-2014

That would be great! As plan on rebuilding both bosscat ones and making another set for my procat build.

What about the A544 diff washer. are these used on any other cars or will they need turning up too?

The plastic ones i have remaining use a tri lobe washer which i am guessing is only used on sport diffs not the pro one.
Old 29-06-2014
Awesome Admin

Yes the tri lobed washer is for the sport but what you want to use is the hex one like the one I use in my diffs

These are a lot more reliable that the ones in the pro diff. Let me have a sort out and I'll see how meny I have
Old 30-06-2014

Ok sounds like a plan. Bosscat now in bits..Started the diffs clean up and ordering other bits for build, found some decent high torque short belts too.

hoping these outputs arent too complex in machining terms. will probably have a job lot done cost depending. Will get my china office on the case once detailed up in 3d/2d.
Old 01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Yes the tri lobed washer is for the sport but what you want to use is the hex one like the one I use in my diffs

These are a lot more reliable that the ones in the pro diff. Let me have a sort out and I'll see how meny I have
Justin; you would have to change over to an old style drum diff in order to use the hex-diff halves as they won't work just substituting them into a Pro-Diff. The comp-spec Pro Diff uses alloy outputs that have no key-ways at all - they rely on the friction between the two parts. I was lucky enough to abtain one of these diffs from CAT3K which along with a good condition Sport diff I was able to build one good part.

I've got say that this is one of the best buggy ball diffs I ever built - so smooth & free & at the same time, no slip... a complete revelation compared with the MMS/Schumacher Hex diff I had previously fitted. So far i've only done two race meetings with the car - one with an 8.5 & then the last week with a 6.5 brushless - but the diff held out fine & still feels smooth.... which is better than I could achieve with my old Atomic Carbon Losi CR2
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 01-07-2014
Awesome Admin

Hmmmm I'll have a look at the weekend as I've got pretty much everything I need to build up a new bosscat pro diff and I'll compare the two.
Old 01-07-2014

Hi chaps to be clear I have 2x rear bosscat sport diffs which are been changed into pro diffs.

The only parts I need or need To reproduce are the diff output drives and the friction washers

Are we saying the cat 3k uses identical outputs to the bosscat diff? Guessing can't be as built my cat 2k and outputs are for very different dog style drive shafts.
Old 01-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_c View Post
Hi chaps to be clear I have 2x rear bosscat sport diffs which are been changed into pro diffs.

The only parts I need or need To reproduce are the diff output drives and the friction washers

Are we saying the cat 3k uses identical outputs to the bosscat diff? Guessing can't be as built my cat 2k and outputs are for very different dog style drive shafts.
.... no sorry - I got my output parts from fellow Oople member whose username is CAT3K (Paul).... As far as I know these alloy outputs are Bosscat specific, unless they are the same on the Cougar2 & possibly some Cougar based Nitro basher cars?? - would be good to know.

P.S; I could do with a spare pair of the U1243 diff washers if you ever come across a batch load
Old 01-07-2014
Awesome Admin

I think I may have some new washers and daz75 may have some but I think I pretty much cleaned him out of Procat / bosscat stuff a while back
Old 01-07-2014

Ah I understand now

Would it be possible to borrow a set of outputs from someone and diff washers? Or buy a set from one of you chaps?

the plastic ones from the sport aren't similar to the pro ones due to washer shape so can't copy these(:
Old 01-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
I think I may have some new washers and daz75 may have some but I think I pretty much cleaned him out of Procat / bosscat stuff a while back
still some stuff left
Old 01-07-2014

I think I might still have some Bosscat pro diff parts kicking about. I'll have a look

Paul.
Old 02-07-2014

hi Paul thanks I will try and get the cad drawn up today based on images from internet then should just be a case of tweaking dimensions to suit.
Old 02-07-2014

Right then 3D + 2D cad 90% completed. Just need some diffs and washers to do the check dimensions and sort tolerance stacks.

I will cad up and make the washers too. Guessing these will be a harder material than the alloy diffs, probably a stainless steel.

Cost depending I will probably get a fair few extra made as nobody seems to sell these any more. I will obviously sort out whoever lends / sells me the set.

Once these are done I can start to look at replicating all the other alloy wasp parts for Procat / Bosscat etc.

http://www.oople.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1404319157
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diff cad.jpg (142.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-07-2014
Awesome Admin

Wow you have been busy robin I'll see what I can dig out tonight I've been busy and not had chance
Old 02-07-2014
Awesome Admin

So I've had a quick root around and found some bits.
First are the diff washers you can see all the part numbers so you can keep an eye out.

Thickness

Wall

Od

Id

Here's all the new parts for the pro rear diff I'm just missing some friction paper. I'll take a good look at the weekend and see if I've got anymore out drives if not you can borrow these robin.

Old 03-07-2014

Some great info there Justin!

P.S; there isn't any friction paper between the diff washer & the face of the diff output - I just 'stuck' the washer on using some dabs of grease It is also recommended that you hone down your diff washers... even though they are new.
Old 03-07-2014

Super! Washers all drawn up now thanks, Cad'd up a few other Bosscat bits while waiting, F+R H brackets and lay-shaft covers. Next up is the eccentric adjusters and Z bracket.

Will pm you my address details when I get home.
Old 04-07-2014

Well since the boss cat is now back in bits again in a moment of weakness thought I would treat it to a full fibre-lyte carbon kit with a 4mm rear shock mount.