Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default 3d drawings to 3d printing

Anyone know who is able to do a 3d design from an original piece as im struggling to find a 3d printing company that can do this?
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2017
Danf1275 Danf1275 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 118
Default

I've reverse engineered a few bits and bobs - I use Pro/e
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2017
alex97's Avatar
alex97 alex97 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Not to sure
Posts: 551
Default

Also look for someone with a scanner? They'll be able to scan the model and then produce the 3d render of it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2017
Danf1275 Danf1275 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 118
Default

One of my previous projects

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E8...ionId=55960019
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danf1275 View Post
Nice, issue ive got is shapeways cant make my design in alloy so asked if theyd do kevlar fibres in their plastic but no, so have no option but to go via another company. I can get a few made out of shapeways plastic and just need it in a cad design so I can send it to be made. Alloy version thats not suitable just fyi iin below image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0448.jpg (159.5 KB, 65 views)
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2017
Rs fruitbat Rs fruitbat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: West wales
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Nice, issue ive got is shapeways cant make my design in alloy so asked if theyd do kevlar fibres in their plastic but no, so have no option but to go via another company. I can get a few made out of shapeways plastic and just need it in a cad design so I can send it to be made. Alloy version thats not suitable just fyi iin below image
What do you want making ?
__________________
Hpi baja
Turingy TD10 touring car
Rc10 Graphite ( unused )
Cobra
Team associated Rc10 x3
Schumacher Cougar x2
Schumacher Procat
Original Tamiya Hornet
Original Tamiya Lunchbox
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2017
rcjunky's Avatar
rcjunky rcjunky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 399
Default

once you've got a cad model get it printed on a markforged printer with kevlar or carbon fiber in it
__________________
Andrew Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
selling rf dex210 pivot blocks, pm me for details
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2017
Danf1275 Danf1275 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Nice, issue ive got is shapeways cant make my design in alloy so asked if theyd do kevlar fibres in their plastic but no, so have no option but to go via another company. I can get a few made out of shapeways plastic and just need it in a cad design so I can send it to be made. Alloy version thats not suitable just fyi iin below image
If it's a Shapeways model, it may be worth approaching it's designer - it is possible to add a 'download model' option to your own part. They may be prepared to do it briefly for a few quid.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs fruitbat View Post
What do you want making ?
The picture i attached shows the mods ive done to the knuckles and thats what i want made, my current race car aptly named by Racer mag is a Lazer ZXRS and basically specd out vintage car to race at competition level now, issue ive got is due to the amount of power the knuckles / ujs vibrate which causes the king pins to vibrate out and yes changed bearings to ceramic and tried almost everything so my solution was to reverse engineer the knuckles and added a hex on top & bottom to fit a slim line nyloc nut as i hate losing races due to the knuckles coming out.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danf1275 View Post
If it's a Shapeways model, it may be worth approaching it's designer - it is possible to add a 'download model' option to your own part. They may be prepared to do it briefly for a few quid.
Thats what they did and each variant sent wasnt up to the standard, the hex holes were too small, the bearing holes also too small. Its a shame as shapeways are really good.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
once you've got a cad model get it printed on a markforged printer with kevlar or carbon fiber in it
Thats the plan, just im not a drawing designer, i design my idea in my head and describe it to someone and it gets made like all the stuff fibrelyte did and do for me but describing is one thing, getting it made to my standards will be problematic without a 3d design.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2017
alex97's Avatar
alex97 alex97 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Not to sure
Posts: 551
Default

Autodesk offer a free copy of Inventor. It's a student copy but it will do everything and more than you'll ever need. You don't need a student I'd either. There is videos built in on how to use it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-05-2017
StwBald StwBald is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Consett, Co. Durham
Posts: 257
Default

I could do the design work for you on inventor, if you a part available to send thru. Send me a pm if ya interested.
__________________
Stewart Baldridge
--------------------

Yokomo Yz-2, 7.5, Speed Passion, Xpert
Yokomo Bmax4 III, 5.5, Orca, Xpert
Futaba
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158845
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2017
fredswain fredswain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
Default

I've modeled these in Creo. It is an Optima Mid knuckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hub.jpg (39.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I've modeled these in Creo. It is an Optima Mid knuckle.
Sorry for the delay, had a really busy schedule over the last few day.

Ok, interesting. Apologies for sounding stupid but is the kyosho item OT16 as im using a Lazer ZXR and if so yes.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Autodesk offer a free copy of Inventor. It's a student copy but it will do everything and more than you'll ever need. You don't need a student I'd either. There is videos built in on how to use it.
Issue ive got is im okish on 2d, I can get by but 3d is just beyond me. Then due to unforeseen circumstances Im now a full time carer so finding time is my biggest issue as at the moment im getting one hour to myself at around 21:00 and im totally exhausted. I will have a look at this when I get some time so thanks for letting me know as I wasnt aware.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17-05-2017
Vantiz Vantiz is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Do any of these parts have drawings somewhere that i can use to make models, i draw 3d models at work and use cnc machines but like to mess around drawing at home

(signed up to this site yesterday to find out about getting into rc racing and came across this post )
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17-05-2017
Conrad's Avatar
Conrad Conrad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
The picture i attached shows the mods ive done to the knuckles and thats what i want made, my current race car aptly named by Racer mag is a Lazer ZXRS and basically specd out vintage car to race at competition level now, issue ive got is due to the amount of power the knuckles / ujs vibrate which causes the king pins to vibrate out and yes changed bearings to ceramic and tried almost everything so my solution was to reverse engineer the knuckles and added a hex on top & bottom to fit a slim line nyloc nut as i hate losing races due to the knuckles coming out.
The bottom kingpin used to come loose back in the day with alot less power. That said I usually broke most of the OT16's that were ever fitted to the car well before the kingpin fell out. The Tomy Intruder had some magnesium front hubs that did kit the ZXR but they used to strip threads instead of breaking the hub.

Nice, simple solution though Have you tried just removing some material by hand to give enough room for a slim M3 nut?
__________________
[swithracing.co.uk] - Swith Racing
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
The bottom kingpin used to come loose back in the day with alot less power. That said I usually broke most of the OT16's that were ever fitted to the car well before the kingpin fell out. The Tomy Intruder had some magnesium front hubs that did kit the ZXR but they used to strip threads instead of breaking the hub.

Nice, simple solution though Have you tried just removing some material by hand to give enough room for a slim M3 nut?
Wont work as the sections too small if you contimplate doing it, so weakens the edge and makes it more fragile than thin glass, but yes like you I lost a couple of major events, missed a major A and a lot of frustration due to them coming loose and it was quick back in the day, but thats the past and finished the design ive had in my mind years back but the technology wasnt up for it until now.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18-05-2017
Welshy40's Avatar
Welshy40 Welshy40 is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantiz View Post
Do any of these parts have drawings somewhere that i can use to make models, i draw 3d models at work and use cnc machines but like to mess around drawing at home

(signed up to this site yesterday to find out about getting into rc racing and came across this post )
Its basically a lazer zxr knuckle ot16 with a wider top and bottom section to house a slim nyloc nut as per that picture above. Ive had an offer to try doing it and hopefully will be able to get it drawn correctly so it can be made, and once its tweaked to get it right I can find the correct resin mix that can with stand my testing and im renown for testing to destruction until the design is perfected so once its correct I want every Lazer zx/zxr owner to be able to buy it and as most people know I make nothing from my designs / items sold by fibrelyte and other sources, i love racing and this cars made my name on the racing scene and want to share this with others.
__________________
www.kamtec.co.uk
www.fibre-lyte.co.uk
www.nuclear-rc.co.uk/
answer-rc.com/uk/en/
Sworkz UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Team Fabiix Batteries (Yuasa), always in front when using sanyo scrcs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com