oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   R/C Graphy! (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Decided on a Nikon...but which one?? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10295)

P_B 27-04-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAClark (Post 118184)
Also worth mentioning is the Pentax K20D and the Samsung GX20 which is almost the same camera, but with revised and improved menus.

Don't think about the Pentax if you're at all bothered about shutter noise, it's like a bloody whipcrack! However, if you want a decent camera with great ergonomics the discontinued K10D is now available at £399 which is a stupidly good bargain and leaves a lot more money left over for lenses.

I also know where it's possible to pick up a factory refurb D80 for that price at the minute, PM me for details.

If I were starting from scratch again I'd certainly be going for the cheaper body/better lenses route, it gives an easier upgrade path later as bodies are improving in specs and dropping in price all the time, whereas lenses remain fairly steady (i.e. good ones are always expensive!)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...taxlogo_x6.jpg

Spoolio 27-04-2008 07:42 PM

Thanks for all this guys. Will go to Jessops for a feel on a Canon in the week. What are lens prices like comparing Canon v Nikon?

glypo 27-04-2008 07:58 PM

About the same really, when trying to compare like for like. Hard to compare exactly as even within each make for similar focal lengths you get different quality glass, different AF speeds etc, but generally they are the same.

And for Canon, just like Nikon, you also get all the other lens manufactures as well. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/cate...spx?cat02=2020 Somewhere like here is good for comparing lens prices. As you can see hundreds of lenses available for both, and like-for-like roughly the same price. Going to Jessops to check them out is a good idea, you can get a feel or Canon and Nikon and see them next to each other and see what suits you best. I'm not sure with the Nikon, but with the Canon Jessops sell for the same price as online shops too.

jimmy 27-04-2008 08:12 PM

Worth haggling at Jessops and going to another jessops to play them off one another. I got my D200 cheaper than hongkong prices from Jessops in Huddersfield. Went to both Jessops in town and the second gave us 50 quid off, bargain.

Pete - that logos classic! haha

stegger 27-04-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glypo (Post 118065)
stegger - In the shops, and online, the 40D with 17-85mm IS is £859.99, so with £140 cash back (done via Canon) works out final cost of £719.99. Not sure how that compares with what employees get, probably best not to say or I'll get jealous :lol: I hope my credit card is feeling brave as the cashback offer runs out end of June so I need to purchase before then.

That's £90 cheaper than i can get it from work:confused::thumbdown::mad:

Spoolio 27-04-2008 08:59 PM

Lots to think about now, perhaps I was a bit hasty naming this thread "Decided on a Nikon" :).

I know its probably a dumb question but as a generalisation will all DSLR's have a fast enough shutter speed to capture a fast moving RC car assuming use of the correct lens of course.

Thanks for the info about Jessops by the way. I know its probably an unfounded worry but I shy away from online shops when its an expensive thing I'm buying. I like the "take it back" factor if I have a problem, and most shops in my experience will try to get as near to an online price as they can so its not such a deal breaker these days.

jimmy 27-04-2008 09:19 PM

Fast enough shutter speed - just depends on the light and what effect you're after. It's more about the shutter lag (time from pressing to taking the photo) and I think any DSLR will be fast enough in that regard.

CAClark 27-04-2008 09:24 PM

Yeah, I don't think DSLR's are slower than 1/4000th, which is ample fast enough. though actually getting to use that is another matter. I think the reality is you could buy a canon of any flavour, or Nikon, and it would be ample up to the job of shooting RC cars.

Then comes the fun of choosing lenses!

CAClark 27-04-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_B (Post 118264)
.....lenses remain fairly steady (i.e. good ones are always expensive!)

Annoyingly true! :lol:

Spoolio 30-04-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAClark (Post 118392)
Yeah, I don't think DSLR's are slower than 1/4000th, which is ample fast enough. though actually getting to use that is another matter. I think the reality is you could buy a canon of any flavour, or Nikon, and it would be ample up to the job of shooting RC cars.

Then comes the fun of choosing lenses!

That being the case, tonights latest development has really tipped things up. The missus :wub has said its OK to go for a D300 if I want. The problem is I do want - rather too much! But I understand that the D300 is so good that only top quality lenses will do it justice. Can someone please tell me to just go buy the Canon 40D and be grateful I can spend twice as much on a camera as I spent on my first 2 real cars!

I went to Meadowhell tonight and fondled a 40D and thought it was nice - much better than the Sony alpha - but didn't bother with the D300 as it was out of budget, until I got home, bugger!

glypo 30-04-2008 11:54 PM

I expect that despite the price difference, you will find very little difference in terms of image quality for normal use. As people have said here, at low ISO's it can be impossible to tell the the difference between quality of a £350 bottom of the range SLR and a £3,000 top of the range body. So image quality won't be the defining factor, but instead extra functionality.

So it's just justifying to yourself whether the extra functions supply you with sufficient value. Personally I find it hard to justify the extra money, and prefer the prices of cameras around the Canon 40D / Nikon D80 price range. With the money saved you can afford a nice high quality lens and the cameras certainly up to the job of getting some nice shots.

jimmy 01-05-2008 12:11 AM

I've not handled a 40D or 20D or whatever - But the D300 is based on the D200 which I had at the Worlds in Japan and it's definitely a nice meaty strong body. Good enough to take out in the rain and not worry if you drop it:thumbsup:. I've dropped my D3 - I managed to break a grand worth of lens in half but the body was fine:o.
I think the Nikon cameras are nicer built and feel nicer to use than most others- but hey, that's me. The D300 isn't far off the D3 in fact I think it sits alongside it as the top line camera (the D3 is full frame obviously) - so it has the same but more useful focusing (better frame coverage than the D3) and I think if you add the battery grip at a later date you can get 8fps out of it, which puts it along side the best sports cameras around.
If I didn't have the D3, I'd have the D300 for sure - it's ace!

Spoolio 01-05-2008 10:05 PM

Jessops do a bundle deal with a Canon 40D + EFS 17-85mm IS USM lens + EF 70-300mm IS USM lens for £1239, less £140 cashback. Is this a good price? I don't know what the diff is twixt an EF and EFS lens.

If its not a good deal I think I may just go for the 40D + 17-85mm IS USM lens for £720 after cashback. I've calmed down a bit now and think the D300 will be overcooking it for my needs and I'd be better putting the extra cash to other stuff.

CAClark 01-05-2008 10:41 PM

Whether you purchase a 40D or a D300, both camera's are more than capable of shooting RC cars. There is no question. Both will provide great high iso performance. I'm a Nikon D200 user myself. Personally having held a Canon 30D (very close to the 40D), while i prefer the general ergonomics of the D200, I found the Canon had a better sized grip. And the Canon felt very solid in the hand as well.

I still think trying both out in a shop to see which feels better in the had is the best bet. If I had done as I say, I would have bought a 30D rather than the Nikon!

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoolio (Post 119635)
That being the case, tonights latest development has really tipped things up. The missus :wub has said its OK to go for a D300 if I want. The problem is I do want - rather too much! But I understand that the D300 is so good that only top quality lenses will do it justice. Can someone please tell me to just go buy the Canon 40D and be grateful I can spend twice as much on a camera as I spent on my first 2 real cars!

I went to Meadowhell tonight and fondled a 40D and thought it was nice - much better than the Sony alpha - but didn't bother with the D300 as it was out of budget, until I got home, bugger!

Spoolio 05-05-2008 07:16 PM

The deed is done, the Nikon I finally decided on is....a Canon EOS 40D :lol:. Just felt nicer in my hands - now can't wait for the battery to charge so I can go learn how to use it.

CAClark 05-05-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoolio (Post 121194)
The deed is done, the Nikon I finally decided on is....a Canon EOS 40D :lol:. Just felt nicer in my hands - now can't wait for the battery to charge so I can go learn how to use it.

:lol:

Good choice, you'll have no worries as all with your choice, look forward to seeing your exploits!

Thomas P 05-08-2008 06:52 PM

Jimmy, any idea on a good alround "lens" to get some closeup shots/zoom shots..ya see i dont even know the Eng word for thoose...

the stock "lens" is Ok, for me, but i want to get some clooser even if i am @the side of the track...no not more then 200-270£ the camera is a NikonD60, realy pleased with it..

cwp 06-08-2008 05:51 PM

try looking for a D200 own both D200 D300 yes the D300 is beter but on A3 print you cant tell them apart at low iso. I have seen D200 for £400.00
second hand.I normaly by second hand lenses fixed focal with af.I have some zoom lenses just like the old af lenses there cheap as well.