oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Superstox Grumble (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107755)

Apricot Slice 12-08-2012 08:12 PM

Superstox Grumble
 
Superstox.
It looks great but when you try to install the electrics there are problems.
There is little choice but to have the esc sticking out beyond the chassis.

If i go racing without sorting this problem out I just know someone is going to head directly at an apex flat out, t-bone me and smash the esc to smithereens. Sod's Law guarantees it.

I had an idea of putting the ball joints on the top side of the hub arms and mounting the low profile servo upright and between the front wheels. This will give loads of space for everything!
Unfortunately there is a big square hole where the mounting posts would go.

So, I have a choice of making a bumper bar to protect the overhanging esc or cut a whole new chassis without a hole in it.

I know there are some Schumacher guys on here...
I would be prepared to buy another chassis without a hole in. I know you are not going to disrupt your manufacturing to humour a single customer. That would be mad. If however you felt so inclined during a spare moment, I would really dig it big time if you could send me a DFX of the chassis so I can machine a new one.

Cheers
Apricot

DCM 12-08-2012 11:17 PM

Try asking here https://www.facebook.com/groups/336445139755237/

mark christopher 12-08-2012 11:30 PM

If you that worried about your Speedo stick it on top of your servo, I have seen no damage to the cars I have seen race including both of mine. Sorry but your Speedo will get damaged if there was chassis under it, bumpers etc are higher than a chassis in a pile up.

RudolfXC 12-08-2012 11:58 PM

Can you put the speedo stuck to the chassis on one edge?

Chequered Flag Racing 13-08-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apricot Slice (Post 683769)
Superstox.

If i go racing without sorting this problem out I just know someone is going to head directly at an apex flat out, t-bone me and smash the esc to smithereens. Sod's Law guarantees it.

Happened to mine. Knocked to caps of the esc but was able to repair at home.

Chequered Flag Racing 13-08-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCM (Post 683809)

Now that'a a :cool: link :thumbsup:

Apricot Slice 13-08-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks for replies guys. Wow, loads of interesting stuff on the Facebook page!

I could stand the esc on end or mount it on top of the servo but I'm too much of a tidy freak for that.

I will scan the chassis and re draw it rather than trouble anyone for the original.
When its made I'll post a pic.

mark christopher 13-08-2012 08:31 PM

you could put it in a potting box from maplin and wrap it in cotton wool :woot::thumbsup:

DCM 13-08-2012 08:39 PM

A simple resolution is to make a square a bit bigger than the ESC, stick that to the chassis then stick the ESC onto that?

stegger 13-08-2012 08:48 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_0992.jpg

I mounted mine initially as in the picture, but have gone to the side as per standard due to air flow !

Apricot Slice 13-08-2012 09:07 PM

Yeah that would sort it a bit. Don't know why Shumacher didn't make the chassis stick out a bit where the esc has to go.

in order of preference..
Reposition the servo. ((low profile) remake chassis)
Machine a bumper. (probably use some existing holes)
Do what you said.
Just have it sticking out and drive like a pro. (not possible)
Mount on edge or on top of servo.

I think I'm just going to remake the chassis or I'll never be satisfied.
Unfortunately I have to put new rails and ball screws on the cnc router at work first.
Tapping them holes in the rails sure did give the taps a beating today. Hard stuff.

Apricot Slice 13-08-2012 09:31 PM

I can see how the air flow could be a problem.

[IMG]http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...8/IMG_0918.jpg[/IMG]

This is the plan.

russmini 14-08-2012 08:35 AM

Mine all fits no problems in the space between the steering turnbuckles and LiPo. Hobbywing Justock esc, Spekky SR3500 rx, KO 2413 servo and a MRT PT mounted on top of the servo.

No heat issues etc etc.

:thumbsup:

mark christopher 14-08-2012 09:31 AM

How are you guys getting yours hot and needing more air flow? My hobbywing 1s runs nce and cool at 65 mpr.
Why not use a fan for air flow?

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 11:18 AM

What do you think would be best for chassis. 2.4mm thickness or 3.2mm?

mark christopher 14-08-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apricot Slice (Post 684232)
What do you think would be best for chassis. 2.4mm thickness or 3.2mm?

Do you. Want to protect the Speedo or alter the handling?

neallewis 14-08-2012 11:52 AM

I really don't see what you will achieve making a new chassis mounting you servo as you describe?

The car works great out of the box, with low-profile or 1/12th servo mounted in the stock position. There is plenty of room to mount the radio gear on the chassis without it hanging over the side. just look at the many examples of other peoples setups here or on the gt12 facebook group. mount your receiver in the position described in the manual, up front. This leaves plenty of space to mount the speedo without it hanging over. If it really hangs over that much, it must be a jumbo sized unit, and i'm sure it would be cheaper to replace it for a new £50 1S unit, rather than going to the time, cost and effort to remake the perfectly good chassis that comes with the kit.

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 684245)
Do you. Want to protect the Speedo or alter the handling?


Is that a rhetorical question? Presumably you are suggesting that 2.4 thickness would be best.

When I was wondering about chassis thickness I had in mind a vision of an old Mardave Mini (the one with no suspension at the back) doing wild bouncy flexy things.
In my mind, a rigid chassis is best because the part that you have control over is the spring. Anything else doing the bouncy business mars the results of adjustment. Although in practice, something more flexible may be better.. I am unsure.
My guess is that Schumacher have got it right.
I have ordered a piece of each thickness so may as well try both.

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neallewis (Post 684250)
I really don't see what you will achieve making a new chassis mounting you servo as you describe?

The car works great out of the box, with low-profile or 1/12th servo mounted in the stock position. There is plenty of room to mount the radio gear on the chassis without it hanging over the side. just look at the many examples of other peoples setups here or on the gt12 facebook group. mount your receiver in the position described in the manual, up front. This leaves plenty of space to mount the speedo without it hanging over. If it really hangs over that much, it must be a jumbo sized unit, and i'm sure it would be cheaper to replace it for a new £50 1S unit, rather than going to the time, cost and effort to remake the perfectly good chassis that comes with the kit.

Its a regular sized esc and it does not fit. It just doesn't.

mark christopher 14-08-2012 01:14 PM

why not just buy the new core 1s speedo, small and will fit ok, and only £46 from mbmodels

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 684284)
why not just buy the new core 1s speedo, small and will fit ok, and only £46 from mbmodels

bit of GRP, £5

mark christopher 14-08-2012 01:45 PM

Time cutting, making it spot on and your speed is still in the same place for impact, the bumpers are higher than the chassis as I said

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 02:33 PM

I do this sort of thing for a living so its more fun than hassle.
It would really bug me seeing the speedo vulnerable hanging over the side every time I look at it. And not looking isn't an option.

If you were god and had to live as a man, would you really have put the nuts on the outside? Na, didn't think so :)

woody_woody 14-08-2012 05:50 PM

core 1s speedo
 
i recently bought and installed the core 1s speedo , it fits perfect on the chassis , before this i used a novak gtb 2 , that did have overhand but not enough to frett about it getting damadged ......just go with the kit reccomendation , you will be fine

mark christopher 14-08-2012 07:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apricot Slice (Post 684326)
I do this sort of thing for a living so its more fun than hassle.
It would really bug me seeing the speedo vulnerable hanging over the side every time I look at it. And not looking isn't an option.

If you were god and had to live as a man, would you really have put the nuts on the outside? Na, didn't think so :)

took some quick pics and i really think your going over board, car taking the hit has no body, car hitting has a foam bumper and body that would hit speedo EVEN if there was chassis protruding from the speedo :confused:

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 09:25 PM

I Like the adjustable camber arrangement.

mark christopher 14-08-2012 10:02 PM

It's not for camber,camber is adjusted by different spacers under the lower plates, the turn buckle was something I added to see if it did what I thought not yet tried it out. But that front end is made for oval.

Apricot Slice 14-08-2012 10:37 PM

I didn't notice the trailing 'oval' arms.
Whats the idea behind the turn buckle?

mark christopher 15-08-2012 07:22 AM

Just wondered if it would do anything, not tried it yet

snail speed 15-08-2012 04:31 PM

I think the best option to prevent the esc hanging over the edge it to buy a mardave. I do see where mr slice is coming from. It does look a bit over the edge. 2.4mm would be enough i think

mark christopher 15-08-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snail speed (Post 684729)
I think the best option to prevent the esc hanging over the edge it to buy a mardave. I do see where mr slice is coming from. It does look a bit over the edge. 2.4mm would be enough i think


ok how many tc cars do you see with the motor/lipo hanging off the edge, and how many actually get destroyed?

Apricot Slice 15-08-2012 07:19 PM

Mr Chequered Flag Racing's esc got destroyed.

snail speed 15-08-2012 07:30 PM

Granted the speeds are lower but having a esc only held on with just over half fixing it down any one would be worryed. The difference is a lipo is secured with tape and mountings. also a motor is screwed down. So they arnt going to move. To finish first you first must finish.

mark christopher 15-08-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snail speed (Post 684820)
Granted the speeds are lower but having a esc only held on with just over half fixing it down any one would be worryed. The difference is a lipo is secured with tape and mountings. also a motor is screwed down. So they arnt going to move. To finish first you first must finish.

well im not worried bout mine, but then i use good tape! if your going to take a hit to take out my speedo the car is going to be busted more than the speedo.

mark christopher 15-08-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apricot Slice (Post 684813)
Mr Chequered Flag Racing's esc got destroyed.

and i doubt having grp all the under it would have stopped it! the bumpers ride higher than the chassis!

Apricot Slice 16-08-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 684849)
and i doubt having grp all the under it would have stopped it! the bumpers ride higher than the chassis!

The further something sticks out, the greater the chances of it getting pinged off or broken. No two ways about it.

Apricot Slice 16-08-2012 04:07 AM

Think I will make a number of other adjustments while I'm at it.
Figure the battery could be moved back 5mm or so. Get rid of unused holes. New camber straps to give clearance for the servo mount posts. Not bother with area clearances for sub c cells, don't need them. Probably reshape the outer edge of the chassis. Shrink down the battery area a tad to fit my lipos nice n snug. Also was thinking about an alternative to Velcro.
CAD and CAM are such great toys.

Anyone know what gives the cleanest cut on laminates. Maybe a tungsten carbide straight flute cutter?

manic 16-08-2012 04:48 AM

I would do some with what ever cuts it ok then figur out exactly what uou want then get it done by water jet cuttinh or even that rc cnc company ..

Manic

Martyn (Bomber) 18-08-2012 03:49 PM

No problem with electrics here, even with 2s saddles :thumbsup:

http://s19.postimage.org/hsxk7lnyq/IMG_1739.jpg

http://s19.postimage.org/653id1ytu/IMG_1741.jpg

Rat Monkey 18-08-2012 09:42 PM

Deleted, duplicate


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com