![]() |
LRP Flow - erratic running & intermittent problem on power up
Just installed an LRP Flow Works in my B44.2, and have encountered an issue I've not experienced before. Hoping it's maybe something obvious...
When I switch on the motor sometimes spins-up (at low speed) for approx 1 sec before stopping. This seems to happen every time after battery reconection, but sometimes doesn't do it with the power switch just being toggled. Also, if I hold a constant throttle, the motor speed frequently makes speed step changes (eg. slow, faster, slower, stop, slow, etc). Re-calibrating, re-setting and trying another sensor wire hasn't worked... anyone else experienced this characteristic with any ESC? For info: Rx is Futaba 603FS, servo is Savox 1258 and motor HPI Flux Pro 5.5. Motor is not meshed to the spur at the moment. Cheers Jason |
Jason, I've had that issue with the motor turning over for a couple of seconds when it's first switched on. Usually I re-bind the receiver/transmitter and it resolves the problem. I know you use futaba radio gear but it might be worth trying.
Dave |
Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply. I've tried rebinding Tx/Rx, and the issue remains. Plus, the other issue is also present - the motor speed not being constant on constant throttle - very obvious step changes in motor speed, with it sometimes stopping then restarting too. Will try my 2WD's receiver. |
Sounds like a bum speedo.
|
Quote:
|
Does it still do it under load - ie whilst driving?
|
Quote:
|
Try a differant make of motor or just a differant motor ?
|
Quote:
|
Theres a pattern forming here Jason!
|
couldn't agree more!
|
Have you tried a different set of lipos i had a similar problem with my sons 44.1 on Friday it was almost as if the esc had a mind of its own swapped the lipos,,, issue went :ocheck all your wires plugs and lipos might help:)
|
UPDATE:
Testing by the shop reportedly showed none of my issues. So I then sent the ESC and one of my HPI Flux Pros direct to SMD Ltd, in the hope of getting to the bottom of this. ...SMD returned it to me a couple days later with a note saying: Quote:
So at my local club last Sunday we all had a look at it running on a different radio system, and we all witnessed the same erratic (non-commanded) behaviour as described earlier in this thread. (As an aside, the ESC would not run at all when connected to a colleague's Intellect saddles - it reported low voltage, ie. <6.4V, when they metered at ~7.5V). The spinning-up at power-on as previously described appears to (possibly) be related to enabling throttle failsafe in my Futaba system. But, as expected, this never causes such an issue in my LRP SXX v2 Competition or Orion Vortex R10 ESCs. This video demonstrates the erratic running, ie. step-changes in speed and the sudden burst of high speed (@ 37s). Note: I have used the throttle sub trim in this video to prove constant throttle, but behaviour is identical in normal use and when running in a buggy. Click the picture to see the video on Photobucket http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...ticrunning.jpg Presently waiting/hoping for a reply from LRP. Obviously this unit is simply unusable for me. So the question is, if there's nothing wrong with this LRP Flow, then what is wrong with it....?? Cheers Jason Note: It does this with HPI Flux Pro motors, a Speed Passion motor (seen in this video, connected by 4mm plugs - hence the temp electrical insulation), multiple sensor wires, and different radio systems. All of which are proven/verified components. |
Then disable the failsafe.
|
Quote:
|
Thanks for posting this up. I was considering selling my speed passion for an lrp. Guess I'll wait and see if this problem becomes more frequent across the forums!
|
Update:
Quote:
Their response was that they'd not seen, or heard of, such an issue before with a suggestion I was in error when calibrating the speedo (no, I'm not)... All they offered was to look at it if I sent my Flow, motor *AND* radio kit (!) to them in Germany. Which I refuse to do for many, hopefully obvious, reasons. Has anyone else out there had Flow problems?? |
Jasonithink this is scandalous the way you've been treated here. If I were you I'd go back to place of purchase, send them it back and tell them to deal with or you are taking it further. Only in this hobby would you be treated like this.
You've spent £100+ on a unit that doesn't work. You're well within your rights for a full refund. |
Could you try you try plugging it into someone elses radio gear who is not using the same as you just to try or find someone with a flow to try your gear on i carn't see it being that but worth a try then you'll know for definate I've not had a problem with mine i am using Sanwa radio gear with Thunder Power motors . It doe's sound like you've been dealt with unreasonably but if they carn't find a fault at SMD why should they replace it and sending it to germany with your radio gear aswell is just ridiculous
|
My Flow has been tested with other radio gear and motors by members at my club. Same symptoms. This fact was communicated to LRP. I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread too?
My kit all works perfectly with other ESCs, eg LRP SXX v2 Comp and Orion R10. |
Jason
This is shocking, i would contact SMD - Jamie Booth and as him to sort out this problem, theres no way you should be having these problem with a brand bew speedo. I've heard of flow problems with another member at the glasgow club too. |
If your transmitter allows create a new model, and reverse the throttle. then rebind the ESC.
Worth a try |
Lrp flow
Hi I had the same issues with mine and tryed everything. then someone told me to reset the mode on my transmitter And that did the trick . Hope this helps
|
tellor there are loads of esc with errors and the old v1 and v2 sxx and pearl were both problem esc with sensor board faults, i have seen many of these go in the past i had two in a row of the pearl v2 and they didnt last 2 heats cutting out and loosing sensor timing at 4min into a race with the esc temp being 45deg c and both time sent back i was told it wasnt my fault it was hardware also i know of 2-3 other ppl that have had problems with older lrp/nosram esc
|
Jason Birch had this type of issue with his lrp flow about 3 weeks ago, I don't think the quality of the lrp kit is as good as it used to be.
|
Seeing as this is the main forum in the UK market, user error or not this thread is not doing LRP any favours and will put off new buyers of the Flow in case the fault isn't isolated case.
I would hope someone from LRP or the UK distributor will look into this matter ASAP and get it satisfactorily resolved for all parties, even if it’s a refund based on an unidentified fault. Good luck getting it sorted Jason! |
sitrace your correct on rc tech forum the hobbywing and speedpassion threads
have regular help advice from the makers and hand out email addresses to get hold of the techinical side hopefully lrp can add some advice on this matter soon? also see tellor has removed his remark on esc not having faults and it use the users fault sounds like sensor fault to me ;) |
I had a similar problem with an Orca vritra pro ,It would not work properly with my Sanwa 2.4ghz system (similar problems to yours) but when i tried it with my old Sanwa 40mhz system it was perfect. Just a thought!:o
|
Here's what i found during testing...
I raced it with a Tekin, no problems, then tried to run it with an HPI Flux and it didnt like it, subsequently i tried it with Novak, Gm, Dualsky, Speed Passion and all the same result where the motor doesnt hold a steady throttle revs all over the place. Tried it with Orion and thats ok, and mates run his with LRP and thats ok as you'd expect. It's not a new phenomenom GM speedos a few years back used to be fussy as hell with motors. It's a great speedo, just be carefull what you match it with. I've gone back to Orion R10 Esc cos I have all sorts of motors, and a personal hate of LRP motors. |
Thanks for posting that, Tweaky.
If there is such an incompatibility then LRP should declare it in sales literature and manuals. Otherwise, as in this case, an ESC that glitches with certain motors (without any warningto buyers) is unfit for purpose. Note: I sent my Flow to SMD along with a new HPI Flux Pro motor... It was returned with the statement no fault found as per an earlier post in this thread. |
[QUOTE=Tweaky;744749]Here's what i found during testing...
I raced it with a Tekin, no problems, then tried to run it with an HPI Flux and it didnt like it, subsequently i tried it with Novak, Gm, Dualsky, Speed Passion and all the same result where the motor doesnt hold a steady throttle revs all over the place. Just thought i would add what i know i have been running my lrp flow since they came on the market with a novak motor & an orca motor and have had no problems so this problem can only be in some not all Mark |
Has anyone changed the software so some work and some don't?
|
Quote:
However, bottom line so far is that no parties have acknowledged I have a fault. So I am grateful to anyone who posts in here sharing their same experiences. Thanks, Tweaky. |
This is starting to worry me about using lrp i have used there speed controls for years and tbh i havnt had no problems but i am not looking forward to the outcome if i ever do have a problem come on lrp/smd sort this out there is obviously a problem
|
I posted this problem before chrismas,took it out the car sent it to smd,told by jamie that he does not know how the tp mitor behaves.But got tested and it was ok,but mine just went off during the run,all the time,got it reset works fine now so i wonder if some have bum software and reflashing it sorts it
|
Are you guys running the latest firmware?
|
I've had simular problems with mine as well with Specktrum and KOProp..
I fixed the run-on at turn on by setting throttle to be reverse and re-programming end points.. However I still have a problem where the car will run for 3 - 4 laps great then starts spluttering on acceleration for no reason. When it gets like this it really upsets the balance of the car and makes it to hard to drive. This is using a thunder power 13.5 motor, great for 4 laps then poor for the rest not impressed so far.. I'll try some other ideas I've been presented with... a) Lower Voltage Cut-Off b) Longer Sensor Wire - Not sure why but was recommened... c) Replace motor with new one.. Odd when it's faultess on the tekin.. |
Try using a power cap
|
My old Sanwa/Airtronics radio did this with all my LRP speedo's. The radio wasn't binding withd reciever quick enough. Some speedo's I couldn't even use due to the slow binding nature of Sanwa receivers. Now I run Spektrum and all speedos work with no issues.
|
I'm having a very similar issue. I'm weighing in just incase we need to bring this to LRP's attention with various ESC/motor combos. I'm running a Works Team with 8.5 RevTech. Holding the throttle at any position the motor will wind up then slow down...wind up and slow down pretty rhythmically. This is on an Xray Xb4
|
| All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com