oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   X-Factory (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My X5 lipo mounting (and couple sneaky X6 ones) (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19226)

super__dan 09-02-2009 10:47 PM

My X5 lipo mounting (and couple sneaky X6 ones)
 
So I've changed the way I'm mounting the Lipo in my X5, I must admit to totally ripping off Phil Sleigh's design as it was much better than what I came up with initially.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture016.jpg

It's simply a peice of Carbon slotted for a strap, then screwed into the back of the chassis at the right height for the cells you're using.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture014.jpg

Front end is a battery post drilled in the right position

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture015.jpg

Couple of self indulgent photos of cars with new SMC lipos in them (4000mah 28C), they are really good so far though only used them a couple of times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cture008-2.jpg

And a couple of X6 for good measure, they are a perfect fit in the new chassis with the new battery straps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cture010-1.jpg

Wiring not quite up to ideal standards but with still trying various things in the new car and weight positions I'm not too 'worried' ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture011.jpg

Just as a disclaimer I should point out I've no idea if these will be BRCA legal this year until the list comes out ;)

DCM 09-02-2009 11:02 PM

will that battery strap on the X6 work with LiPo cells with the corally tubes in them?

super__dan 09-02-2009 11:05 PM

Yup,

I've seen Trackpwer and LRP/Nosram packs in various team cars/trucks. you have to have the connectors on the pinion side though.

_sleigh_ 09-02-2009 11:19 PM

Yeppp, I can confirm the new strap fits just fine on LRP/Nosram & Trakpower cells. The connectors just need to be at the "Y" end of the X-Factory wording on the strap.

Fiddybux 09-02-2009 11:23 PM

That's brilliant. Love the way you've fitted that LIPO to the X5 there.

You know, they say mimicking is the highest form of flattery....I feel you've given me some inspiration to get the dremel out.

Can I just ask though, did you need to dremel the chassis much? It looks like you've removed one of the battery post bosses and the half moon at the back, but that's all it seems.

Also, the side section on the strap that reaches back towards the chassis....does this attach anywhere or is it just touching the side of the belt tunnel?

Finally, regarding the small piece of CF that the strap slides into, how is this attached to the chassis. Are there nuts on the other side of those screws or have you just screwed into the chassis directly?

Very nice work! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

Thanks.

_sleigh_ 09-02-2009 11:47 PM

Ok then...

The chassis will require the following items dremelling;
- Rear half moon
- Both original battery mounts bosses
- The rear aerial mount (depending on the size of your LiPo)

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling. :)

Paul_Sinclair 09-02-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _sleigh_ (Post 207071)
The chassis will require the following items dremelling;
- Rear half moon
- Both original battery mounts bosses
- The rear aerial mount (depending on the size of your LiPo)

You'll probably also have to touch up the rear part of the servo mount bosses.


Very clean install Dan!

YoungChazz 10-02-2009 02:26 AM

Nice professional job there, Danny boy. Proudaya.

millzy 10-02-2009 10:33 AM

whats an 8.5 doing in that x6. get some man power boy :)

i had a chat with Thumbs Harris on the weekend at the FTX about his x5 and runnig Lipo and i am very tempted

Fiddybux 10-02-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _sleigh_ (Post 207071)
Ok then...

The chassis will require the following items dremelling;
- Rear half moon
- Both original battery mounts bosses
- The rear aerial mount (depending on the size of your LiPo)

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling. :)

Thank you Phil. Will definitely give this a go.

Body Paint 10-02-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millzy (Post 207145)
whats an 8.5 doing in that x6. get some man power boy :)

i had a chat with Thumbs Harris on the weekend at the FTX about his x5 and runnig Lipo and i am very tempted

Was a 7.5 in mine Sunday Mills, and the clutch was set well loose to tame it down.

millzy 10-02-2009 02:37 PM

in your x6? yeah i had a 6 sensorless in my b4 and the clutch set "whore" loose keep her tame also

its your x5 i liked- i love my b4 and im 98% stuck with it but 4wd is more open market

super__dan 10-02-2009 04:20 PM

The bit that sticks out is indeed from the T4 battery strap I used to make, however it gives that extra support so left it on there.

Phil have everything covered above really, I just screwed into the chassis with two short 4/40 screws, it is essential you countersink inot the carbon though to clear the front of the wishbone. There is not really much load on this to be honest, so as long as you don't crank those screws down there is enough support for this, worst case though run some glue round the edge to really toughen it up.

Mills - Firstly, I thought you had given up? Are you back? Nationals? Sounds serious if you're afte a 4wd again or do you still have your old X5?

I really like my 8.5, on 25*76, it's perfect for say York indoor. Probably not enough for outdoors though, plan to run a 7.5L then.

millzy 10-02-2009 04:40 PM

im doing the W.R.C.A and having a laugh with racing . might do the f2 and f3 finals ( yeah im an f3 now booo) ive did the odd micro meeting last year the EPR national in 4wd and the W.M.C.S GP in 2wd and 4wd . but no Nationals for 2009 to busy with the Taly track and the Kids :):)

I dont have my own 4wd at the mo, i sold my old x5 to Southwell when i gave up for something like £25quid ( still with that huge hole in the chassis) i am very impressed with the work that’s gone on with the x5 since i last drove one, i spoke to you and Tom last year about the new Ackerman bar and its developed again since then

Body Paint 10-02-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millzy (Post 207240)
in your x6? yeah i had a 6 sensorless in my b4 and the clutch set "whore" loose keep her tame also

its your x5 i liked- i love my b4 and im 98% stuck with it but 4wd is more open market

7.5 in both cars, had an LRP X11 in the X-6 (which is the same power as a novak 8.5) and an X12 7.5 in the X-5. Both cars were plenty quick enough.

super__dan 10-02-2009 10:59 PM

Yeah I'm currently most often on a 7.5 in my 4wd too indoors but anticipate wanting a 6.5L outdoors. So 7.5L 2wd and 6.5L 4wd I think (maybe not in wet).

Fiddybux 18-02-2009 02:28 PM

Hey Dan,

You know your SMC LIPO you show here, would you mind measuring it for me.

My Trakpower 4900 seems too long to fit in the chassis, even if I dremel out the half-moon, the rear antennae tube etc.

Based on my measurements, my 4900 comes half way across where the battery post is, and as such, is inaccessible.

Thanks,

Russ.

Big E 18-02-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddybux (Post 210278)
Hey Dan,

You know your SMC LIPO you show here, would you mind measuring it for me.

My Trakpower 4900 seems too long to fit in the chassis, even if I dremel out the half-moon, the rear antennae tube etc.

Based on my measurements, my 4900 comes half way across where the battery post is, and as such, is inaccessible.

Thanks,

Russ.

For the LRP lipo which is fairly long I had to just dremel away a little of the servo mount. I also had to take a bit off the servo post mounts which are not round anyway then mine fitted in, you may need to do the same.

E.

Kecky 18-02-2009 03:32 PM

I've fitted a 3600 trakpower in mine, and the length and width of that is the same as the 4900. The 4900 is 1.2mm taller that is all (according to the trakpower website).
To fit mine, i dremelled the half moon, the rear battery post mount and half of the front mount along with taking a little off the servo mount.
I then re-drilled and conter sunk the chassis to re-locate the battery post. I didn't need to touch the antenna tube location, as i have the battery sitting as close to the outside edge as it will go.
If you want me to post any photo's just let me know.

Body Paint 18-02-2009 03:54 PM

If you look closely at Dans pics you will see that he has cut a small amount off the rear of the servo mount as well as reamoving the half moon from the rear of the chassis. I have fitted Trakpowers in my X-5 in the same way, they are tight, but they do go in.

super__dan 18-02-2009 04:02 PM

Having offered up the TP cells they are a little longer if you have the heatshrink overlapping the ends, you can trim that back to make a little room. The other thing that makes a difference is servo type. The XX4 servo mount is handed for the variations in length of servo. A KO is a long one, where as the Sanwa/Airtronics ones are small (2mm?). This means the airtronics in mine (currently) fits with only the half moon removing. I aim to put another 2123 back in the X5 soon, at that point I suspect I will have to shave down the servo mount some, not ideal perhaps bu do-able.

bigred5765 18-02-2009 04:14 PM

we robbed phills/dans idea, and fitted a trakpower lipo in you do have to remove the back of the servo mounts but it does go in,

Fiddybux 18-02-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kecky (Post 210290)
I've fitted a 3600 trakpower in mine, and the length and width of that is the same as the 4900. The 4900 is 1.2mm taller that is all (according to the trakpower website).
To fit mine, i dremelled the half moon, the rear battery post mount and half of the front mount along with taking a little off the servo mount.
I then re-drilled and conter sunk the chassis to re-locate the battery post. I didn't need to touch the antenna tube location, as i have the battery sitting as close to the outside edge as it will go.
If you want me to post any photo's just let me know.

Hi Kecky,

I'd be very grateful if you could post a top and bottom photo.

I thought about relocating the battery post mount, but wondered whether it would be too close to the original and therefore weaken the area.

Also, how do peeps go about filling the holes where the NiMH's were sunk? Is it just a case of nasty, but effective, gaffer tape?

Cheers.

super__dan 18-02-2009 07:45 PM

Tape for me but others have filled them. I presonally don't have anything other than Araldite to do that which would be an expensive do! I do run hard cased Lipo though, would want it shielded with soft cased.

Fiddybux 18-02-2009 08:49 PM

Cheers Dan...that's what I do now. But I'd like a tidier job.

Anyone done something tidier than tape?

sime46 18-02-2009 09:40 PM

Mine with Cat sx bits. Seems to work ok...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...6/catx5004.jpghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...6/catx5002.jpg

Fiddybux 18-02-2009 09:43 PM

That's nice....presumably you are using the anti-roll bar links to hold the rear end brace for the battery strap?

Has it never slipped out sideways though....looks a little loose at the rear?

Kecky 18-02-2009 10:02 PM

The below picture shows what i have removed.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSCI0567.jpg

This picture shows the empty screw hole from the original battery post with the new one located at approx. 3 o'clock to it.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSCI0570.jpg

This picture shows the lipo fitted.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSCI0573.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

sime46 18-02-2009 10:03 PM

No mate. Its as tight as you like. I'm really pleased with it. If you look closely you'll notice its a tad offset and its almost wedged in? It moves more in my Cat tbh.

Fiddybux 19-02-2009 11:43 AM

Thanks for the pics Kecky, but have you got a larger one of the LIPO fitted. Finding it hard to see the detail on that one as it's a bit small. :confused:

From the other pics the new post seems very far back and to the edge. Is this right or am I missing something?

Thanks everyone.

Kecky 19-02-2009 12:11 PM

I'll sort some more pics later :)

Lee 19-02-2009 01:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fiddy,

Kecky uses the same style of brace as me, he must be a genius too. :lol:

here is a pic of mine with a 4900 in, it has never come undone, you have to hook the strap on at the back before you put it over the post up front.
Attachment 5510

Attachment 5511

Attachment 5512


Please note the white wheels.

If you need any more pics just give me a shout.

Kecky 19-02-2009 01:06 PM

Well the battery strap from my Mi3 was hanging around doing nothing, so i thought i'd put it to good use :lol:

Lee 19-02-2009 01:09 PM

It's the best use for a TC i have seen yet :thumbsup:

Fiddybux 19-02-2009 01:29 PM

Okay that's much clearer. No need for extra pics Kecky.

Cheers Lee!

Al3xis007 23-02-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 210516)
It's the best use for a TC i have seen yet :thumbsup:

lol i used a tc5 one!

Fiddybux 03-03-2009 10:00 PM

So how's this fellas? :thumbsup:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...x/lipoinx5.jpg

Used the X5 belt pulley bar, a screw up from the underneath though the aerial mount into that, and then the aluminium bar screwed to the original X5 strap.

To get it out you just rock all the parts backwards after taking the clip out of the front.

Well pleased with it, but thanks to you guys for the inspiration and advice concerning where to dremel etc.

Russ.

ScottyP 03-03-2009 10:20 PM

Anyone tried Lipo saddles in the X5?

Would balance out pretty good I would have thoughts with the speedy, receiver, cap etc on the RHS of the car. Would probably mount the RHS saddle further forward though, opposite the motor.

Easy to mount I would have thought too with the old skool Schuey saddle straps.

Cheers,
Scotty P.

bigred5765 03-03-2009 10:49 PM

good idea

Lee 04-03-2009 12:38 AM

I tried saddles and i much prefer the car with a stick pack in. With the saddles i just felt the car rotated too fast and felt unpredictable, very skittish on the rear which is not like the x5 at all.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com