![]() |
Steering issue on Mardave v12
Just got myself a Mardave V12 secondhand and its awesome , love the fact there so cheap to keep going and so simple that hopefully even a newbie like me can get to grips with fixing stuff etc.
Its a lovely little car but I am having one problem. At first when I gave it a wurl I noticed that the steering was sticking a little, especillay when turning left. A mate of mine who also just got a mardave said it might be the ballcup joint things are too tight. Sooo i had some old tc3 ones and they are easier to adjust so I put them on there and it helped a little as far as it seems to centre more now. But it still seems to turn way more to the left than it does to the right? Anyone come across this before and know what i can try as at the moment I think it would struggle to go right on a course. Hopeing to get it up and running for sat as My Friend Mark has started going to a place in Sherburn in Elmet and want to test the world of Mardave out =D Cant wait to try it, it has a awesome fiesta shell on it. P.S should I get a bumper or try and tabe some foam block on front inside of shell? |
get a bumper and put some foam on it like they do in TC and do the following
|
Nice one ty for the tip I will try it tomorrow and see if I have any luck
|
....also check out page 1 of the mardave section - thread starter mardave help...I had I think exactly the same problem as you when I first got my Mardave.
|
ty will try find it now
|
also the Ball thread might be catching under neath on the A arm
|
Quote:
|
Before doing anything else check that its not your radio settings, disconnect the servo saver(check by hand now to see if the steering moves freely) and place the car on a stand so the wheels are off the ground. Then turn on the radio and the car and set the steering trim to centre. With everything still turned on replace the servo saver trying to keep the front wheels straight as you do this, at worst your front wheels may point a little one way or the other, now use the steering trim to fine tune to centre. If you are using a digital radio check the steering throw settings are set equal left and right, if all above fails to cure the problem the servo could be faulty.
hope this helps. |
also the Ball thread might be catching under neath on the A arm
+1 on this one. Both my mardaves had this issue. one i grinded the thread shorter. My new one i have just replaced them with tamiya balls and ball cups. |
Hi guys,
I did a quick video to show the problem I am having. Youll notice there is loads of left turn and not much right. Plus left wheel sometime wants to point left. Ty for all advice when i get some time gonna try those things Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LbzU1cpAcI |
Wrong number of spines on servo saver for your servo.
|
Quote:
I have not been at this long so dont understand sorry. |
Different servos have different numbers of spines on the bell. You need to make sure the servo saver has the same number of slots. For example savox servos are futaba standard so u need a futaba standard saver.
|
Quote:
explained in the above post here's a small list of servo's and their teeth count 23T * Airtronics: 23T * JR: 23T * KO: 23T * MRC: 23T * Multiplex: 23T * Sanwa: 23T * Spektrum: 23T 24T * Hitec: 24T 25T * Ace/Thunder: 25T * Blue Bird: 25T * Cirrus: 25T * Duratrax: 25T * Futaba: 25T * Hobbico: 25T (Some servos like the CS-170 uses 24 splines) * HPI: 25T * Kyosho: 25T * Power HD: 25T * Savox: 25T * Tamiya: 25T * Team Associated: 25T * Tower: 25T * Traxxas: 25T |
What he means is . . .
If the servo is XXXX make and it has 24 splines on it then you need 24 spline Servo saver Look on the packet of servo saver before you buy it it will say to fit XXX servo or 24 spline / 26 spline Also cheap servo's do not return back to neutral ( some times ) Most use HiTec 225mg (mg=Metal Gear and ballraced ) and sell for less than £20 good servo as well http://www.rc711.com/shop/hitec-hs22...l?currency=SEK |
it has a acoms as-17 on it at mo, no idea what splines it has or what the servo saver is as its 2nd hand.
I guess best thing is to just buy a new servo and servo saver? |
kimbourgh should be grey on acoms 23t i think
|
|
Looking at the vid the servo seems to centre from one direction but not the other, so if I were you I'd get a new servo also.
|
Quote:
Not sure if Fastrax are rebadged Kimbroughs or how good they are. Kimbroughs are the favoured one in 12th pancars. Kimbrough can be bought in the UK from most LHS. http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/s...ategory_id=176 |
Never use a cheap servo for steering you have to spend that little bit more or your day is ruined by servo faults like .. . .
You can go down the straight and it pulls left so you give it a little right input . . . now its pulling right so you give it a little left input . . . this is the signh that servo is not centering and could be sticking ball cups etc Disconect the balls look at servo saver is it at the top central ? Move left and right slowly is it centering if not its servo if yes then connect left side ball link try again if all ok then connect right side try again if not then the fault is on the right side :thumbsup: |
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I managed to find a Kimborough one and ordered last night. I am not sure if the servo is a good one, my friend said its about an 7 quid servo. I will have a look at some more expensive Acoms ones maybe so at least I can use the servo saver i ordered. Edit Cant seem to find any other type of Acoms one =C oh well I will if i can find spline number the list that is same as acoms. |
I think Acoms are a 23 had to find out info even with google =C, so will see what prices are from list in earlier reply. I have a spektrum controller which seems ace so I will look at those.
|
|
just get one of these along with a futaba style servo saver and ure sorted for a very long time
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sc...products/36399 |
Quote:
shop about you may find a good used one for £20, £25 |
Quote:
in a mardave i wouldn't fit any thing plastic geared just me but i would always fit a metal geared servo :thumbsup: |
I just run Kyosho KS-1401's in mine,their basic 1/8th scale steering servos.:thumbsup:
|
I wanted to go with something that is 23t so that the kimsbourough servo saver i ordered for the acom as-17 can be used on it, which is why i looked at spectrum.
Decided to go and get one of these at modelsport this week: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/spektrum...products/34476 This one has metel gear like some of you suggested. Look good? |
I use whatever I find in the pit box or shed :thumbsup:
If I fail to find anything thats not rusty or clockwork then hitec hs225 from whatever shop has them in stock is my choice. Great little servo though not as fast as some it does use alot less voltage to run. |
Ko2413 Ftw!
|
Quote:
I think was running a traxxas 2075 servo in my mardave at the time (never had any probs with either of my plastic geared servo's and been using them for many months now in 2wd and sct). Am pretty sure that I also had to alter the lengths on the track rods (that connected to the servo saver) and think ended up having to make them different lengths (?) and that ultimately solved the problem. Hope that helps a bit |
My kimborough servo saver turned up today and a friend has a servo he does not need so going to get that on there as it seem the servo fitted is a bit dodgy as frend looked at it and said bearings in it gone or something.
Anyways new servo and saver going on there tomaz and if that fail ill get a spektrum server to go with it. |
Hi guys,
My servo saver has turned up but i need to ask a really stupid question =C. The holes don't seem to be big enough to fit the screws (the ones the ball cups fit on). Whats the safest way to make them bigger? Really sorry for such a stupid question |
Quote:
Best way is to drill them out with a drill bit that's little smaller than the threads on the ballstud you plan to use. Then the ballstud can cut a thread as you screw it in. Then put a nut on the thread to make it secure. You could also try a bodyshell reamer if you have one. But do this from one side then the other rather than straight through from one side. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
if you dont know ask. .. no matter how stupid you think it is :thumbsup: |
Managed to do it with the body reamer.
Steering still has a lil more right turn but not much and it centers perfect with that kimborough. Thank you all for your help. Was hoping to try it out today but my sister was ill so couldnt get there but in a couple of weeks gonna give it a good ol blast =D |
a kimbrough servo saver is £4.95, go onto kamtec.co.uk , they will sort any mardave parts you need at cheap prices mate, i had the same problem, a futaba s3003 servo will cost you around £8 then just order the matching kimbrough saver that should sort out the problem.
|
| All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com