oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/10th OFF ROAD (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Gluing cut staggers (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136518)

forbesy 17-09-2013 10:41 PM

Gluing cut staggers

I'm seem to struggle a little gluing staggers up and making sure they sit straight against the rim :(

What tips and techniques have you got when gluing yours please???

smokes 17-09-2013 11:00 PM

don't glue them they just bunch up

forbesy 17-09-2013 11:02 PM

You need to on Kyosho rims!!!

Dudders 17-09-2013 11:18 PM

Get James Lucas to do it, like me!

forbesy 17-09-2013 11:23 PM

Lol dudders. But you don't learn that way :eh?:

Dudders 17-09-2013 11:34 PM

And you don't ask stupid questions on forums! If in doubt I give the tasks to others! LOL

smokes 17-09-2013 11:47 PM

Trim the inside diameter of the tyre, to make the diameter that sit in to rim groove(s) a touch bigger. I noticed the glue tends to cause bunching by being forced into the inner vertical step of the rim and the innner wall of the tyre as you are applying the glue. due to the tyre being so tight on the rim. or use a very slow curing super glue...

forbesy 17-09-2013 11:49 PM

I thought about cutting a v in the bead of the tyre to drop glue in and work it around the rim

neallewis 17-09-2013 11:50 PM

I don't glue staggers or cut staggers on centro rims. Never had one come off yet.

Dombrasky 18-09-2013 12:05 PM

nope I don't glue either and never had one come off

adam_u 18-09-2013 04:25 PM

I usually cover my fingers in glue and some of it eventually ends up on the tyre and rim, total pita those tires!

Adam F 19-09-2013 09:05 AM

Cleanest method I have found:
  • Mount dry tyre on dry rim. (Make sure its to the edge all the way around)
  • Pull tyre bead from the rim at the top and run a bead of glue (has to the thin stuff) on the rim and place the bead back in the position you want it.
  • Tyre bead forces the glue around the rim so it will be instantly glued in place.. (you may need another small blob on the other side if its missed any)
  • Leave it to dry whilst doing the other rim and then repeat for the other side.
This way, you dont get the glue inside the return edge of the tyre and its fairly true as you dont have to try to re-position the tyre whist the glue is drying.

Chris-S 19-09-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy (Post 803761)
I thought about cutting a v in the bead of the tyre to drop glue in and work it around the rim

I cut 4 v's around the bead and drop a small amount of glue in each. Havent had a tyre come off yet.

HOTSHOT III 20-09-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy (Post 803739)
I'm seem to struggle a little gluing staggers up and making sure they sit straight against the rim :(

What tips and techniques have you got when gluing yours please???

I've just found a new way to glue these!

Fit the tyre onto the rim as normal, then pull up the bead and carefully work a small (2-3mm diameter) phillips screwdriver between the tyre and rim so that it comes out the other side (so it's holding both tyre beads away from their respective grooves on the rim).

When you turn the screwdriver clockwise it works its way anticlockwise around the wheel (because it grips the rubber tyre and slides on the plastic rim) meaning you can apply a spot of glue where the tyre and rim meet, move the screwdriver around a bit and do it again until you've worked your way around the whole wheel.

So far i've only used this method to glue one side at a time but it worked very well and produced no mess so I expect if you're organised you could do both sides at once. I should be OK doing the other side as the screwdriver end will be able to fit inside the tyre carcass. Just be careful when you pull the screwdriver out as these tyres are so tight on the rim, this could cause a spot of glue to go somewhere you don't want it to (I always wear safety glasses when gluing tyres).

You can also use this method to glue motorcycle and MTB handlebar grips if you have a long enough 2mm T-Bar allen key to reach inside the entire length of the grip.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HOTSHOT III 20-09-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III (Post 804262)
I've just found a new way to glue these!

Fit the tyre onto the rim as normal, then pull up the bead and carefully work a small (2-3mm diameter) phillips screwdriver between the tyre and rim so that it comes out the other side (so it's holding both tyre beads away from their respective grooves on the rim).

When you turn the screwdriver clockwise it works its way anticlockwise around the wheel (because it grips the rubber tyre and slides on the plastic rim) meaning you can apply a spot of glue where the tyre and rim meet, move the screwdriver around a bit and do it again until you've worked your way around the whole wheel.

So far i've only used this method to glue one side at a time but it worked very well and produced no mess so I expect if you're organised you could do both sides at once. I should be OK doing the other side as the screwdriver end will be able to fit inside the tyre carcass. Just be careful when you pull the screwdriver out as these tyres are so tight on the rim, this could cause a spot of glue to go somewhere you don't want it to (I always wear safety glasses when gluing tyres).

You can also use this method to glue motorcycle and MTB handlebar grips if you have a long enough 2mm T-Bar allen key to reach inside the entire length of the grip.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just done bead number 2 and it's all good:)