oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Scale / Petrol Powered (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Traxxas Onroad supercar! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86910)

qatmix 30-11-2011 05:02 PM

Traxxas Onroad supercar!

WOW! 100mph!

http://thercracer.blogspot.com/2011/...tr-rc-car.html

Stuweatherman 30-11-2011 05:05 PM

Now all they need to do is to introduce a driving licence for this as its way too much for your regular RTR buyer/driver. Broken leg anyone??

Robbiejuk 30-11-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuweatherman (Post 589052)
Now all they need to do is to introduce a driving licence for this as its way too much for your regular RTR buyer/driver. Broken leg anyone??

Totally agree, Now you can walk into a toy shop and buy a ground attack exocet missile without a character reference, background check or any insurance :thumbdown:

Origineelreclamebord 30-11-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuweatherman (Post 589052)

+1, I think it's very important to make sure these cars are only sold to people with a feeling for what's responsible and what's not - that means at least 5 minutes of driving experience and the knowledge that these cars don't belong near anything: From ankles to kerbs :lol:

Still, besides the body I think they have released something awesome here! :)

12-nitroman 30-11-2011 05:29 PM

iphone

but it requires an iphone to unlock the restrictor speed on the esc?
thats sucks

unless you can do it through a castle link

jim76 30-11-2011 05:34 PM

but you can only go 100mph+ if you have an iphone?! what a load of crap.

car looks really good, but why the stupid apple tie in?

Origineelreclamebord 30-11-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim76 (Post 589064)

car looks really good, but why the stupid apple tie in?

Didn't notice that - There must be a way to do that without an Apple, though I think they did a cool thing on using an App for measuring your speed and such - if it also compatible with other smartphones, that is.

I read earlier somewhere that Traxxas was doing something in a completely new segment... By the looks of this though they perfectly managed to do that :lol:

colmo 30-11-2011 07:09 PM

No dimensions given, but stated to be 1/7th scale.

I'm guessing the design is a lot leaner than, say, a brushless converted 1/8th circuit racer.

The chassis mouldings look the most innovative feature - I can image plenty of folks trying to make a 1/10th equivalent for their TC speed projects.

Col 30-11-2011 08:21 PM

After careful(ish) reading I think the iPhone is simply used as a realtime display for the telemetry.
This is the phone mounted on the transmitter:
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ard-6407_o.jpg

12-nitroman 30-11-2011 09:34 PM

i don't think so,i looked at a review on youtube from URC and he did mention that traxxas have said you need to take a speed restrictor off and to do so you need teh traxxas link app on your iphone,but he said there might be a possibility that you may be able to do it on the esc.

either way this car isn't my cup of tea .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 589142)
After careful(ish) reading I think the iPhone is simply used as a realtime display for the telemetry.
This is the phone mounted on the transmitter:
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ard-6407_o.jpg

Col 30-11-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12-nitroman (Post 589206)
i don't think so,i looked at a review on youtube from URC and he did mention that traxxas have said you need to take a speed restrictor off and to do so you need teh traxxas link app on your iphone,but he said there might be a possibility that you may be able to do it on the esc.

either way this car isn't my cup of tea .

Non of that crap should bother you!
The thing that should make it not most peoples cup of tea is the $1099 price

shortcoursegoat 30-11-2011 10:02 PM

least its not another revo knock off lol

Origineelreclamebord 30-11-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmo (Post 589107)
No dimensions given, but stated to be 1/7th scale.

I'm guessing the design is a lot leaner than, say, a brushless converted 1/8th circuit racer.

The chassis mouldings look the most innovative feature - I can image plenty of folks trying to make a 1/10th equivalent for their TC speed projects.

The sizes are on the Traxxas Website (click)

It's more like 1:6 than 1:7 - using the 257mm wheelbase from the average touring car as a base that is (1/6th scale is 428mm in wheelbase, 1/7th scale is 367mm - the X-01 has a 404mm wheelbase). So like anything from Traxxas, they seem to underestimate the size of it :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 589216)
Non of that crap should bother you!
The thing that should make it not most peoples cup of tea is the $1099 price

I think it's not that bad a price that does 100+ mph 'out of the box,' though for that price they could at least have included an Iphone :lol:

Anyway, I think your average custom project to get at that speed - without losing 'some' bits of chassis' along the way - would cost more. I really embrace ideas by manufacturers to slowly work their way to purpose built big scale brushless cars (even though there are already some small brands offering 1/5th scale brushless cars). This I think is a big step in the right direction, perhaps we'll see one of the bigger brands like HPI or Traxxas do a brushless 1/5th scale buggy soon? :)

Stuweatherman 30-11-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord (Post 589242)
This I think is a big step in the right direction, perhaps we'll see one of the bigger brands like HPI or Traxxas do a brushless 1/5th scale buggy soon? :)

Maverick (HPI sister company) already produce the Vader which is a 1/5 scale brushless buggy. http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV12701

Gayo 30-11-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 589142)

You don't want to look at the speedometer while driving that 100mph land missile :o:o:o

Nice toy though :lol:

FormulaRon 01-12-2011 07:23 AM

If you do have the iPhone docked, I reckon the transmitter will be quite heavy which is uncomfortable when racing

ryanlownie 01-12-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim76 (Post 589064)

Doesn't mention that?

As Stu mentioned it's primarily used for telemetry but watching the video it also allows you to adjust trims, epa e.t.c all from the iPhone, pretty cool idea!!!

johnboy 01-12-2011 10:54 AM

It looks a right bit of kit. :thumbsup:

mattr 01-12-2011 11:23 AM

Not many tracks big enough to really let the brakes off on that one are there?

I mean, a 5th/6th/8th scale petrol/nitro will only hit something like 50 or 60mph and won't have the instant hit of torque (and acceleration) of a brushless like this. Trying to double the top speed and then knocking a huge chunk off acceleration times...... lot of tracks going to need to upgrade the catch netting!! (either that or they will sell a shed load of pinions/spurs to drop the top speed and make it useable!)

mark christopher 01-12-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares (Post 589378)
Doesn't mention that?

As Stu mentioned it's primarily used for telemetry but watching the video it also allows you to adjust trims, epa e.t.c all from the iPhone, pretty cool idea!!!

it does actually say you use the iPhone app to open the 100mph there is a sentance in small print beginning with *