oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Glueing cells together (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3700)

chrispattinson 17-05-2007 10:58 AM

Glueing cells together
 
Having never glued cells together in the past, I thought I would make the effort this year. Will PVA (white glue used by joiners) suffice?

jim76 17-05-2007 11:37 AM

probably won't hold that great.
I use araldite rapid, it's not as stupidly strong as normal araldite and sets with a slight flex to it. just mix it up and run a thin bead along each cell and press together. Just strap in the car for a couple of hours for it to set!

BenG 17-05-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim76 (Post 39650)
probably won't hold that great.
I use araldite rapid, it's not as stupidly strong as normal araldite and sets with a slight flex to it. just mix it up and run a thin bead along each cell and press together. Just strap in the car for a couple of hours for it to set!

I second that. Araldite really sticks em together. I did stop doing this though, and it doesn't really seem to have much effect, unless your cells shoot out, they tend to bend less with a nice bead of araldite in the cracks,:D;)

BenG 17-05-2007 11:50 AM

as a thought, why not run insulation tape or simmalar around the outside of your cells.

That works too. and stops em shorting

notlawnomis 17-05-2007 11:56 AM

Isn't that going to stop your cells sitting in the chassis properly Ben, or do you mean the ends??

I've never bothered Chris, if your cells are strapped into your car OK you shouldn't have a problem, unless their not supported properly during storage??

If you what something to do you can paint a few bodyshells for me and get the electrics into my car for the regional?? :D

chrispattinson 17-05-2007 12:06 PM

Is it that obvious Im done preparing for Bury??? haha.

Anyway, you've seen the state of my bodyshells and wiring.

I'll just leave the cells alone then, Ive never had a problem with them before.

sosidge 17-05-2007 12:10 PM

I'm with Simon, no point gluing the cells as they will be held in place by the battery strap, in fact a little movement helps to get them in the car neatly.

mole2k 17-05-2007 12:25 PM

I've never glued together my cells although some people at my club would swear by it. As long as you dont pull at a corally withing holding the cell i've never had any problems with having the cells only held by the battery bar. Although I have see the younger kids bend them in magical ways.

Elliott Hopkins 17-05-2007 12:40 PM

I've used RTV 118 silicone glue before. Slightly posher than clear window sealant. It holds well supporting and supported by the bars, but is flexible enough to absorb any knocks.

I think the clear is better than the white stuff. The clear stuff has a STRONG all pervading smell. So use in a well ventilated area.

I use it at work.

Elliott.

p.s. Thinking about it silicone glue is good, because you can peel it off if you need to modify the cell configuration.

Apply it to both sides of the gap once the cells are built. It should flow through the gaps slightly.

bigred5765 17-05-2007 12:44 PM

hot melt glue guns works best, there cheap quick and strong hold

Richard Lowe 17-05-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred5765 (Post 39664)
hot melt glue guns works best, there cheap quick and strong hold

...and goes soft when the cells heat up :o

I used to use Araldite when I built cells, now I get Nick at Demon to do them. He uses superglue I think and does a really neat job ;)

BenG 17-05-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Lowe (Post 39674)
...and goes soft when the cells heat up :o

I used to use Araldite when I built cells, now I get Nick at Demon to do them. He uses superglue I think and does a really neat job ;)

Yeah, I found that out when I plugged em into a nosram discharge board.

I went to sleep, woke up and £90 worth of stuff is hot glue gun melted to the desk. :o:D

I laugh now, it could only happen to me.

bigred5765 17-05-2007 01:43 PM

god how hot do u get the cells, hot glue has a very high melting point
but i must admit at the mo super glue was on my last cells as i couldn't find glue gun

dan_kitty 17-05-2007 01:49 PM

ive been shirink wrapping mine and then cutting out the ends for equalising.

BenG 17-05-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred5765 (Post 39679)
god how hot do u get the cells, hot glue has a very high melting point
but i must admit at the mo super glue was on my last cells as i couldn't find glue gun

One of the cells was damaged or had shorted somehow (maybe brushed against the metal strips on my desk) so it had a high resistance, and generated more heat.

losixxx 17-05-2007 02:14 PM

shrink wrap mine and use tyre glue, hold's them no problem at all

Slimboyfat 17-05-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losixxx (Post 39695)
shrink wrap mine and use tyre glue, hold's them no problem at all


Yep, if you have to glue thats the easiest way....its what i do.

Southwell 17-05-2007 03:00 PM

Decent battery bars and you will have no problem, i never glue mine.
It's only when you use cheap bars that they bend and warp easily.

Lee 17-05-2007 03:03 PM

Why do you glue them, there is no way they can come out of a modern off road car, i can understand doing it when i raced on road and the cells were taped in:o

chrispattinson 17-05-2007 03:51 PM

Just looking for any last minute prep I could do before the weekend, Ive decided against glueing now.

I find I ahve to use cheaper, thinner battery bars when using the cells in the B4 to prevent them being too wide for the chassis, maybe that says more about my soldering than the battery bars though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com