![]() |
Charging from a Car Battery?
I have a generator, but its a pain. I want to buy a car battery to charge my lipos when outdoors. Anything I need to look at when purchasing a car battery? Any recommendations? Will it charge for a day without problems? I may then try and build myself some charging type box.
Thanks Martin |
Get a lesuire battery from a camping/carvan place, not halfrauds. 75Ah should see you fine for an all day meeting. Make sure you get a half decent charger for it and don't store it on the garage floor as the cold kills the cells.
Something like this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/numax-75...battery-p96547 Hope that helps, Ian |
Same situation I was in. Thought a geni would be good but on occasion it was a pain to lug around, start and stuff.
Ended up getting on one of these after reading various reviews. Had it for a year with charging batteries and Tyres warmers at the same time outdoors. Elecsol 100Ah Leisure battery. The higher the capacity (AH) the better. Forget normal car batteries as they are designed for cranking power and not being constantly used during the day without a charge. Better still would be the 110AH version but heavier to carry around. Choice is yours really. Here is the manufacturers website. They sell on ebay for the same price. http://www.tayna.co.uk/ELECSOL-100-C...eft-P5579.html http://www.tayna.co.uk/ELECSOL-110-C...ery-P5553.html I am sure other people have opinions but these have worked well for me and other racers I know. Laterz. |
Try your local car breakers and get one from a medium sized Diesel car....got one for £15.00 and lasts a days charging easily.....
|
this is the one i use i can get a few days racing out of it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90AMP-LOW-...#ht_2317wt_905 |
Thanks guys explains a lot. Makes me think why on earth did I buy a flipping generator. I will research a little more.
Any suggestions for a good charger. As I imagine these are super important Thanks |
If you go with a leisure battery you want a charger that can float charge and maintain it between meetings so you don't need to worry about the battery and can just grab it off charge for the next meeeting.
A lot of caravanners recommend this make: http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/?gclid...Fcod4Qod81ApEA It's just worth looking for one that can be hooked up permanently. |
Go for the CTEK or Ring chargers. They are both excellent. I found Amazon was the cheapest place for the Ring Charger I bought. They can charge and maintain a battery so there is no worry about it overcharging etc.
As for the battery you can get a 100AH on ebay for £70 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260963030359) or for around £55 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190516260577) you can pick up a smaller 85Ah. If you are just charging lipos then you will probably get away with the smaller and lighter 85Ah. |
I use one of these to charge and maintain my leisure battery and its worked faultlessly for 10 years http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255205
and have had one of these for four years now http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV31MF-P3694.html the leisure battery happily ran three chargers and a soldering iron for a whole days racing the other weekend. |
| All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com