Thanks all... I hope I'm not coming across as a noob as that was not my intention (although I am new to LiPo's, I have lots of RC battery experience).
Whilst I respect all of the comments I think it's important to point out to those that may stumble across this thread that:
It's no longer accepted science that LiPo's can be charged at 1C max. There's anecdotal evidence of 3S being charged at 3C and 2S being charged at 2C many times and without incident. And if there is no temperature change at 1C then it's a reasonable conclusion that the chemistry of the battery can tolerate a higher charge rate.
There's no evidence that I can find that charging batteries at a safe charge above 1C will shorten their life. Equally, there seems to be no firm evidence that charging them at less than 1C will lengthen their life.
The risk aversion that led many to settle on 1C seems more related to generation 1 LiPo's from circa 2006/7... although of course I am no final authority on this.
I will do a 1.5C charge in a safe bag and report back on temps, times and balance.
With respect to discharging, I accept that this wouldn't be common practice but again, should I need to (e.g. disposal), what rate should I use?
Having said this, if somebody cares to disagree in the interests of useful information for all then please go ahead...
|