Thread: BJ4WE Slipper
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Apologies for the resurrection of this old thread, but I've just found it while researching what to do about the slipper in my BJ4WE.

I'm weighing up either doing this mod, or fitting a B44 slipper and centre shaft mod, mentioned in another thread, and the PDF instructions are available online, I found them with Google.

What are the handling differences likely to be between the two? What kind of surfaces does each favour? It's possible I would build one BJ4WE for each surface type.

Jordix hasn't been here in a while, and I believe he sold his BJ4WE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordix View Post
here you got it:

associated parts

1766-B4/T4/GT ligthweight outdrives
6589-5/32" x 5/16" bearings
7677-differential rebuild kit for RC10GT

or you can order 7677 items separately
7666-diff rings
6575-thrust bolt and t-nut
6574-thrust balls
6582-thrust spring
6573-thrust washers

-I used duratrax spur gear (78T or 81T) but I think are the same that kimbrough spurs.
-For last yor will need eight 1/8" differential balls, associated or any other (these are 1/12 cars ball differential)

you must make some dremel work because the differential bearing dont fit the spur center hole (outer diameter of the bearing its smaller), I saw that standar 540 motor bearing do it but internal diameter its worst...

I made a plastic part (like a bushing) to fit the gap between bearing and spur internal hole, you must put special attention to make it well rounded because if not the spur will be eccentrix, (I have to test the resistance of this piece, I think will be better in metal material but its more difficult for me making it).

Now you can mount the diff. and tighten till the spring full compression, then loose 1/4 turn.

When you mount the diff. you have to do it with T-nut towards front center shaft and insert first rear shaft (I "touch" with dremel the rear upper deck inner edges a bit for easily outdrive insert through).

Now you will see that front outdrive bearings need a spacer to stay in its correct site of the bulkhead, its very easy to make a spacer for this, you need a 4.5mm spacer (from a brass ballpen jeje).

In the rear outdrive bearing I used 2 or 3 shim spacers (ASC2293)

It can be that spur touches the center bulkhead cap so you know: dremel work in the center bulkhead, only a bit...

Some pics (for sucolega AJAJAJA):

The problem of the spur centering comes fron T-nut/front center shaft, with a shortest t-nut or shaft the spur wold be perfect in its place but...

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...