Old 04-08-2012
Mad Member

Default AC201 FF, Front Wheel Drive Buggy

Here is my project/prototype car, a TRF201 based front wheel driven buggy:

Specs/Features List:
- TRF201 Gearbox
- DB01 Front Uprights+Caster Blocks.
- TRF HL Aeration Dampers.
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension with Inboard Dampers.
- Trailing Arm Rear Suspension (2 Degrees Toe-In, -2 Degrees Camber each side).
- Developed for use with a Low Profile Steering Servo and 'Shorty' (=95mm long) LiPo Stick Pack.
- Compatible with modern Pin-Type Rear Wheels on the whole car.
- BRCA, EFRA and BNK Legal to run in 2WD Dlass.
- Approx. 284mm Wheelbase, 250mm Width.

Existing/Production parts in the design:
- TRF201 Gearbox.
- TRF HL (TRF201) Aeration Dampers.
- TRF201 Steering Arms+Servo Saver.
- DB01+TRF201 Suspension Blocks on the front suspension.
- DB01/DF03 Hybrid Universal Shafts (DF03 70mm dogbone, DB01 rear axle).
- TRF201 45mm Titanium Turnbuckles (for camber links).
- TRF Adjusters on the whole car.
- DB01/TRF Rear Wheel Axles (for the rear wheels).
- 4x Pin-Type Rear Wheels.

So you might ask, why front wheel drive!? Well, the thing is, I've built one before from a Tamiya FF01 touring car and DF01 buggy parts. It was a basic car and the weight balance wasn't optimal at all, but I liked the way it drove. From that point on I really wanted to build a serious FWD buggy.

Also, these cars seemed to have potential (at least from what I've heard) back in the late 80s/early 90s. However, I feel these cars didn't get a good chance to prove how good they are, and since development on these buggies has practically stood still for 20 years, perhaps it's time to redo this and see how well these cars could do on modern tracks with modern equipment, materials and geometry.

Lastly, I've been told these cars carry more cornering speed than RWDs... which could prove, especially as the video footage I've seen seems to confirm it. It will require a very different driving style, and a very consistent one probably, but it could prove to work very well!

I've been posting about the project in this topic. I want to thank the oOple members for their input and advice on the car so far, it really helped to make it the car it has become. Also, Jonathan supported me in making this with some great advice too, as well as the manufacturing of carbon and 3D printed parts! I think I wouldn't even be able to afford building the car without his support!