View Single Post
  #62  
Old 25-10-2014
Si Coe's Avatar
Si Coe Si Coe is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wigan - World of Pies!
Posts: 2,737
Default

Comparing the old SCE days to now is a bit unrealistic because CELLS were approved not BATTERIES. It didn't matter what brand it was, just that they were Sanyo SCE's or Panasonic SCR etc.

Today though the same cells can be provided by multiple brands, with some brands legal and others not. Due to the way cells are made now its not so obvious those are Kokams or whoevers so the only way to police it is a list.

The problems isn't the list - its the way you get on the list. The requirement is that a UK importer provides the sample for inspection plus a fee. This means the only approved items are one with a UK distributor who is interested in racing.
But this is the 21st century - Why can't I buy stuff from China? And if I want to use it, why can't I submit it for approval? Just because I'm not an importer doesn't mean I can't ask if its OK - and if it is OK why can't it be approved? Why does it need a UK dealer when I can just as easily buy anywhere?

Oh - and yes I can tell you about potential new regional racers turned away because they didn't have approved list cells. Well not turned away because they never came on race day having already found out but its the same.
They bought non-EB list cells before they started racing, and their cells work perfectly well so even if they can get EB cells cheap why do so when the ones they have now are fine. The result is they just don't race regionals.

Finally I should point out that ROAR approve cells too. There are plenty of ROAR approved cells that aren't on the BRCA list because they've never been submitted.
__________________

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Reply With Quote