The full release,
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801....08-01-29054823
Quote,
"The current feedback system isn't where it should be. Today, the biggest issue with the system is that buyers are more afraid than ever to leave honest, accurate feedback because of the threat of retaliation. In fact, when buyers have a bad experience on eBay, the final straw for many of them is getting a negative feedback, especially of a retaliatory nature.
Now, we realize that feedback has been a two-way street, but our data shows a disturbing trend, which is that sellers leave retaliatory feedback eight times more frequently than buyers do ... and this figure is up dramatically from only a few years ago.
......starting in may.........sellers may only leave positive feedback for buyers (at the seller's option)."
It makes business sense for them to do it. It obviously differs from what I suggested, but it's in the same ball-park.
I like the change to the feedback percentage display also, I'll be back at 100% -
Re. the cost thing, you'll only be better off if your item sells for less that a couple of quid, they are being greedy there in my opinion.