View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What is the condition of the rear wings on these cars?

It sounds like the rear wing is not absorbing any crash impact and the shock tower. I've heard a lot of people that now use the now popular 'thick' rear wings (the LMR wing for example) suffer from less shock tower breakages.

Does it always break motor plate side?

As pointed out a few times above, this was an area of weakness for the v1 car, and why the v2 tower was designed and used.

Its been pointed out above how to improve the reliability of the v1 tower. I've not used any of these tricks as I use the v2 tower as standard, but to expand on the points above your options are;
- Dremel a small flat on the side of the gear cover lug that faces the tower
- space the shock tower away from the gearbox by 1-2mm. to maintain exact geometry you would need to then space the shocks back out again, but to be honest its not going to make much difference to driveability. if you wanted to look in detail at performance then possibly look at mounting the shocks on the rear of the arms using the v2 rear arms as this has often been much more consistent to drive on most tracks.

Essentially you want to be seperating the gear cover mounting lug and the rear shock tower. anything you can do to gain some distance between them will help (and probably remove) the breakage point.
A thicker rear wing will also shield the corners of the shock tower from load/flex/force.