View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012

Default newcomer - Please advise !

Hi All,

My 11 yr old son and I are looking at getting into racing Mardave V12 at a local club. I am the sort of person who likes to find out as much as possible about things before diving in, so I wondered if I could trouble people here for a bit of a grounding about the cars.

Basically trying to understand the best car to get - I initially thought start cheap (basic club kit) then upgrade. Then I wondered about that. Assuming my son (who will be the main driver lets be honest.. ) enjoys it and can drive OK, I thought maybe I should start off with a decent car that could last a while. The guys at mardave say that basically everyone is running lipo and brushless, so I don't want to get a car that would put the boy at an immediate large disadvantage. Mardave recommended the new vrx cec kit, and build it brushless and lipo, but that looks like it could get pretty expensive!

Can anyone give me their educated advice about what I would be best doing? Im not one of those people that wants to throw lots of money at things, but at the same time this would be a 'hobby' and a shared interest for my son and I, which I am sure we would both enjoy (we both have alot of fun at the moment with Tamiya M series minis, and a Tamiya Brat and use them most days!). I want to make an informed decision, and spend an appropriate amount to get the most out of the experience. We are thinking that the car could be a Christmas job, with relatives maybe contributing parts to the overall build too!

I found it confusing all the different types of car - I see reference to hot rod, racer etc and wondered what they all are? or are they essentially the same?

Many thanks for any information and advice given!
Cheers
Craig