Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 13-02-2013

Default I have been PayPal scammed by sandon18 on eBay, a tale of stupidity

Hi guys, I have been using PayPal for about 10 years now and up until recently had only had one scam attempt and it is easy to become complacent. I recently had a an picco engine on eBay and a seller called sandon18 expressed interest and he said he had a problem checking out the immediate payment required Item so he asked for my payment details and I awaited the money, to my amazement I then received 9 x £10 payments! He said keep the change, I thought this was suspicious as he was so blasé with the money but after listing the engine 5 times I just wanted to sell it. The second nail in my coffin was the fact there was no address on the payment.
PayPal investigated the transaction and the seller is refusing to verify the payments were authorised so PayPal are saying tough tits.
Yes I was stupid but I took a chance, my advice to my fellow ooples is ALWAYS stick to the PayPal guidelines or trusted names or hard cash.
Old 13-02-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

did the engine get sent to the paypal buyers address if so its his tuff titts as long as u sent it recorded
Old 13-02-2013

The PayPal payment did not have an address on it, he told me the address in a separate email. I sent the item special delivery, cost me £8.00 that rubbed salt in the wound, PayPal don't want to know
Old 13-02-2013
Administrator

Is he just ignoring you on ebay?
Whats his real name? Might as well out him
Old 13-02-2013
Administrator

In fact, put his address up too
Old 13-02-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

i would never ever send to a unconfirmed or any address other than what is on there paypal, if in doubt don't send refund, but i agree with Jim bob on this one out him name address and all
Old 13-02-2013
Mad Member

If you have recieved the payments first I don't get what the issue is. Did he open a case and get the cash back?

Even then its 9 individual payments so I doubt paypal would take it back from you.

Can you give a bit more info please?
Old 13-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yer, have to admit mark I can't quite follow whats happened, Has he opened a dispute, and because there is no trace as to what the payments were for he has got away with it? did he pay gift (petit style) as if you sent recorded special you have proof of postage, who received the engine?

The only time I have heard of something like this was when a friend of mine sent £80 worth of models to france, non recorded, the chap then open a dispute saying he never received them, with no proof of postage they gave the french chap the money back. to add insult to injury my friend runs a die cast models shop all on line, they froze his paypal while they looked into the case, he could recive money, but nothing else

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 13-02-2013

The guy sent me 9 £10 payments for a £75 engine and said keep the change. PayPal put the funds on hold as they looked suspicious and asked the buyer to confirm he authorised the payments, he says he has but I phoned PayPal twice and they say he has not responded and if they do not receive a response they will assume the funds were not authorised vanish into the ether.
I was stupid, i was suspicious from the start but took a chance, the guy swears he has responded to paypal. I will give it a couple more days and if unresolved I will post his name.
He had the cheek to accuse me of sending a faulty item coz the piston kept jamming( new and tight) and says it is in the shop. This as you can imagine was infuriating and I nearly smashed my iPad I was that angry.
Old 13-02-2013
Mad Member

By Sending 9 transaction for the same amount the buyer can and has in this case not verified the transactions when he questioned them to payapl, most properly after delivery has occured, i would guess then paypal refund the buyers the transactions look fruadulent to them. In the meantime the seller loses out as the address would be a mate or works address to which paypal can`t match to the buyers account details.
buyer wins, seller loses.

Next time the buyer says they cant use the checkout, invoice them instead.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 13-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You can see from his ebay history this must be the first time he's tried this on as he has no negs You could ask the stoke on trent lads on here if they know himas he may race with them.
His previous ebay name was kirstymatt18 so do they know a racer called matt with a wife/gf called kirsty. Maybe they could lean on him for you as he would'nt want to be known as a scammer with his racemates.
From his record he uses a Spektrum DX3C 3CH DSM2 2.4GHz Radio System and runs a HoBao Hyper 7
Old 13-02-2013

Just To clarify sequence of events..
Payment sent by buyer
PayPal are suspicious of the multiple payments
Funds held while PayPal investigate if the account holder made the payments
Seller has ignored paypals attempt to verify he authorised the transaction
PayPal say if seller does not verify he authorised payments I will lose the money
Very different to usual scams but seemingly able to make use of a loophole

Funny you say about his old account kirsty and matt although I don't know how you found that info, his name is Mathew and it Is because of his flawless feedback I took a chance on the unconfirmed/unusual payments."

Particularly infuriating as responding with all pertinent info to 9 separate disputes was a right palava of multiple browsers and copy and paste taking about half hour and n to be accused of sending a faulty itm was the cherry on a very unsavoury cake.
Old 13-02-2013

Ps, I don't think he races due to. The noob questions and inability to start an overly tight engine (picco) thanks god it was not a go engine, I broke my box and nearly my fingers on my old 7 port, mad power tho!
Old 13-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

His other name is in his previous id history. Maybe some body from stoke on trent knows him . Hope it helps
Old 13-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbd500 View Post
Payment sent by buyer
PayPal say if seller does not verify he authorised payments I will lose the money

So at what point did you send the engine?

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 13-02-2013

I sent the engine as soon as I saw the funds showing in my account, then PayPal took an Interest and froze the funds, he was emailing me every hour rushing me to send it, like he. Knew i Would get an email
Old 13-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Payment sent by buyer

Funny you say about his old account kirsty and matt although I don't know how you found that info, his name is Mathew and it Is because of his flawless feedback I took a chance on the unconfirmed/unusual payments."

Particularly infuriating as responding with all pertinent info to 9 separate disputes was a right palava of multiple browsers and copy and paste taking about half hour and n to be accused of sending a faulty itm was the cherry on a very unsavoury cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
So at what point did you send the engine?
Exactly - if you (or paypal) was not able to verify the payment it makes no sense you should have shipped the item.

Quote:
I sent the engine as soon as I saw the funds showing in my account, then PayPal took an Interest and froze the funds, he was emailing me every hour rushing me to send it, like he. Knew i Would get an email
So, you let him pressure you into doing the wrong thing twice?
First by devoiding the ebay/paypal system, designed to protect the buyer and the seller - and then again by sending the item the moment the funds started to appear in your account?
How long did it take for the bells to start clanging and the lights to start going off in your head?

Seriously - you should have no shame or feeling of regret in outing this dude publicly!
Old 13-02-2013

The funds actually cleared in my account when first paid. I transferred them into my bank account which only takes a matter of hours now so as far as I was concerned the money was mine, then the transaction caught the attention of PayPal and was frozen and I had a negative balance for that amount which I have had to clear using my card to pay my eBay fees. I did not mention that in the first post as it is confusing enough already but yeah I admitted I was silly to send to an unconfirmed email. I posted to remind people to be careful so they do not have to go though this.
Old 13-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Exactly - if you (or paypal) was not able to verify the payment it makes no sense you should have shipped the item.

So, you let him pressure you into doing the wrong thing twice?
First by devoiding the ebay/paypal system, designed to protect the buyer and the seller - and then again by sending the item the moment the funds started to appear in your account?
How long did it take for the bells to start clanging and the lights to start going off in your head?

Seriously - you should have no shame or feeling of regret in outing this dude publicly!
Constructive as ever. I'm sure the seller feels a whole lot better about his situation now..... Hi 5 ! #keyboardwarrior
Old 13-02-2013

you might be lucky and he just hasnt checked his emails...

over paying would get me worried from the outset