Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > West Bridgford Model Car Club

Old 04-03-2012

Default M03 Tips Please

Right then fellas.. I've had enough of you guys leaving me in a trial of carpet dust.

So could someone please advise me how the hell to build an M03 that is capable of going in a straight line and also any worthwhile tweaks.

On my list currently is:-

Better servo mounts as the servo does seem able to move.
Better servo saver ( recommendations please ?? )
Adjustable turnbuckles with some other joints ?
What pinion should I run with a HPI 20t ?

My chassis is totally standard so all plastic, is it worth getting ally bits, bearing in mind in the last two weeks I've broke two steering knuckles!
I've seen the cost of the ally hop ups from Tamiya and just a set of "C" knuckles costs more the same as I got the mini for..despite it being new. So not really willing to fork out another £70 for front set for genuine Tamiya.

I'm currently M03L, should I shrink in size ?, if so what I can't decide is what to reduce to... suggestions again please.

or do i dump it and get a xevo, abc genetic etc ? I love the mini but getting rapidly p'd off with crashing all the time as I'm fighting it down the what should be straights etc so keep messing up the corners

Ebay Feedback http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/chrisfoster1971
Old 04-03-2012

Hello mate, the first thing would be speak to charlie fogg or chris gresham, they are the mini masters. Dave dodd runs an mo3 so could speak to him. From watching the mini heats though, id reccomend selling the M03, and getting a M06 as they seem to be the one to have at the min.

Life`s Boring unless your sideways.
Old 04-03-2012

Hi,
You dont need better servo mounts as you can easily mod the tamiya ones to stop the servo moving.
The servo saver is good as long as you dont overtighten it. It needs to centre properly so the car can go in a striaght line.
The steering knuckles are the weekest part of the car. You can change them for m05 ones. They are loads stronger. Ally bits are not needed either but if you like them then you can get none tamiya ally ones. Try 'rcmart'. Its a Hong Kong website thats really good. 'Stellamodels' is good too.
With your motor, try an 18 pinion and then see howhot the motor is after. If you are not sure then ask someone at the club to check the temp after.
Weight can be added to the car too in order to help the handling as well as a rear roll bar.
I may be there on friday so have a chat with me. If you want me to try your car so I can help then thats ok too.

Chris.
rb5, Mission, F109, F103, F104v2 titanium, F104v2 black, 2 FF01s, FF03, TA02, TA04ss, TA04r, TA05, TT01, TL01, trf 415, M01, M02, 2 M03s, M04, M05, M06, XEVO, DB01, T2R Pro, TC3, b3, SC10, RC10 R5, E Revo, MR4 TC, MR4 TC worlds, MR4 BC SP, Ym34, xxx-t, Mad Rat, Predator DTM, Holiday Buggy (red), H.B (blue), dt03.
Old 04-03-2012

cheers for the replies so far. I am right in thinking that should I swap to M05 front parts I'll need c hubs as well as knuckles, bearings.

My servo saver seems so sloppy i keep considering super gluing it solid, but its obvious I'll just kill the servo...

Old 05-03-2012
Mad Member

Weight is definatley the key for the M-03 I think. I used to fill the back of mine with lead, make sure it is low down as it will stop the car from rolling over. Back bit where the servo for a mechanical speedo should sit the best place to put it in.

Only other thing I used to do to mine was turn the shocks upside down as it lets the car sit lower for some reason.

Good luck with getting an m-chassis to run straight, the early ones always tended to be a bit wanderey.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 05-03-2012
Mad Member

I second Rob's, Chris's and John's comments above - if you want something stronger, Cleveland Models often stock the Aluminium 3Racing parts at a decent price.

You may also want to check the servo itself for play - my m06 was wandering all over the track a few weeks ago because of that problem. Changed it for a £28 Savox servo and it transofrmed the car
Old 07-03-2012

Right then here is my shopping list.. Mr Dodd if you looking if you can sort me out for similar costs its yours my friend..

Anyway
Tamiya 51000 High Tourque Servo Saver £7.99
Tamiya 51238 M03M F Parts bag £6.99
Tamiya 50882 King Pins £2.49

Currently sat in my basket on ebay...

Kind of want to spend as little as possible but dont want to waste money if they are going to repeatedly get broken. So was considering Tamiya 54177 Uprights as can get them £25 inc shipping from HK, i would still need ( i think a better servo saver or Savox 1251 and run no saver )

As I've just paid out for a HPI Blitz I need to stay under control before I get rumbled by the boss.

Old 07-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfoster1971 View Post
Right then here is my shopping list.. Mr Dodd if you looking if you can sort me out for similar costs its yours my friend..

Anyway
Tamiya 51000 High Tourque Servo Saver £7.99
Tamiya 51238 M03M F Parts bag £6.99
Tamiya 50882 King Pins £2.49

Currently sat in my basket on ebay...

Kind of want to spend as little as possible but dont want to waste money if they are going to repeatedly get broken. So was considering Tamiya 54177 Uprights as can get them £25 inc shipping from HK, i would still need ( i think a better servo saver or Savox 1251 and run no saver )

As I've just paid out for a HPI Blitz I need to stay under control before I get rumbled by the boss.
okay matey, will look into it 2moz.. cheers

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 07-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfoster1971 View Post
( i think a better servo saver or Savox 1251 and run no saver )
The Savox 1251 is an excellent and popular servo, but is probably wasted in an m-chassis (unless of course you also plan to run it in a buggy).

Dave and I both run the Savox 0254 which is £20 cheaper and does a perfect job - really quick and there is no play