Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-04-2009
jkonline's Avatar
jkonline jkonline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fareham
Posts: 84
Default Getting Started

I am just getting started in RC Cars and had various advise from people on what eclectics to put in my B4 chassis but just had some more questions.

As I am starting from a blank canvas what direction should I start from. For example should I pick a esc** in my price range then buy a motor based and batteries on what it can take or work from the other direction.

Also are there any components it is worth spending that little bit extra on?

Finally as I am buying everything I want to keep the overall cost down should i not stick to well known brands?

Any other general advise would be great too.

Thanks in advance

John

**narrowed it down to brushed motor with fwd brake and reverse like the Metronick Viper RV 11
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-04-2009
Chris Green's Avatar
Chris Green Chris Green is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hereford
Posts: 707
Send a message via MSN to Chris Green
Default

Hello,

what is your budget? are you planning on racing too?
__________________
˜”*°•. Chris Green •°*”˜
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-04-2009
jkonline's Avatar
jkonline jkonline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fareham
Posts: 84
Default Plans

I don't plan to race I am fairly flexible on budget.

I really want to buy stuff that is not going to limit me upgrading in the future but is not going to cost the £100's per component. Also nothing too powerful as I am new too all of this.

I don't see me buying brush less motors straight off nor lipo batteries but may be in time.

As I said I am very new to this so picking it up as I go along.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-04-2009
Chequered Flag Racing's Avatar
Chequered Flag Racing Chequered Flag Racing is offline
Spends too long on oOple ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In Early Retirment
Posts: 5,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonline View Post

**narrowed it down to brushed motor with fwd brake and reverse like the Metronick Viper RV 11
That brand of esc can be a bit fickle. Well known for the Magic ESC smoke.

used to have a good back up service for when things go wrong but it may have changed

you may be better off buying a used full spec esc as they can be more reliable, like the LRP, Nosram brushed esc with warranty card
__________________
o0ple Trader Feedback
NE Venue's New & Old
my space on YouTube
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-04-2009
Chris Green's Avatar
Chris Green Chris Green is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hereford
Posts: 707
Send a message via MSN to Chris Green
Default

I'm not really sure about battery choice, but perhaps a couple of sport stickpacks would be a decent enough starting point.

For the motor and speedo, I would definitely consider a brushless setup. Brushless doesn't necessarily mean fast.
Brushed is almost a thing of the past now (Might get slated for saying that!). Motor maintenance isn't fun, and the last thing you want to be doing is replacing brushless and skimming commutators after every 3-4 sets of cells through the motor.

If you'd prefer to buy new, LRP, Nosram and Novak offer a budget range of brushless speedo's. The nosram system is called the Evil, and the Evil Power if i remember correctly. These are pretty much fit and forget, with limited setup options. that said, they have a near automatic setup.

There are some 2nd hand bargains to be had too. decent speedo's are around £80-110. LRP and Nosram are a good option, as are Novak. an LRP Sphere, Nosram Matrix, or Novak GTB would be a wise choice if looking 2nd hand.

Motor choice is good too. Again, there is a budget range of Nosram and LRP motors. The nosram used to be the dragon range, not sure if this is still the case. a 13.5T motor would be a good starting point. It is worth getting a speedo that can handle down to maybe an 8.5T brushless motor however, as it is inevitable that you will want to upgrade in the future.

As I don't really understand bashing, I'd also pop along to your local racetrack.
__________________
˜”*°•. Chris Green •°*”˜
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-04-2009
stox217's Avatar
stox217 stox217 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The track!
Posts: 862
Default

might as well go lipo as you need to get a charger ect so it may be worth going that route?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-04-2009
stox217's Avatar
stox217 stox217 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The track!
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Green View Post
I'm not really sure about battery choice, but perhaps a couple of sport stickpacks would be a decent enough starting point.

For the motor and speedo, I would definitely consider a brushless setup. Brushless doesn't necessarily mean fast.
Brushed is almost a thing of the past now (Might get slated for saying that!). Motor maintenance isn't fun, and the last thing you want to be doing is replacing brushless and skimming commutators after every 3-4 sets of cells through the motor.

If you'd prefer to buy new, LRP, Nosram and Novak offer a budget range of brushless speedo's. The nosram system is called the Evil, and the Evil Power if i remember correctly. These are pretty much fit and forget, with limited setup options. that said, they have a near automatic setup.

There are some 2nd hand bargains to be had too. decent speedo's are around £80-110. LRP and Nosram are a good option, as are Novak. an LRP Sphere, Nosram Matrix, or Novak GTB would be a wise choice if looking 2nd hand.


Motor choice is good too. Again, there is a budget range of Nosram and LRP motors. The nosram used to be the dragon range, not sure if this is still the case. a 13.5T motor would be a good starting point. It is worth getting a speedo that can handle down to maybe an 8.5T brushless motor however, as it is inevitable that you will want to upgrade in the future.

As I don't really understand bashing, I'd also pop along to your local racetrack.
Stay away from the dragon range no good to newbie's as you need to gear them just right one tooth out ect and thats it bang the sensor's have gone! or is that just me??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-04-2009
Chris Green's Avatar
Chris Green Chris Green is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hereford
Posts: 707
Send a message via MSN to Chris Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stox217 View Post
Stay away from the dragon range no good to newbie's as you need to gear them just right one tooth out ect and thats it bang the sensor's have gone! or is that just me??
Umm, I'm not sure. I ran a 10.5 Dragon for quite a few indoor meetings, including the Newbury Open. Its still going strong now in a mates car.

I could have been lucky though, and had a good one.
__________________
˜”*°•. Chris Green •°*”˜
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-04-2009
jkonline's Avatar
jkonline jkonline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fareham
Posts: 84
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the nosram Evil, and the Evil Power or at least at the moment seems quite well priced and the esc supports all battery types and both brushed and brusless motors.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com