Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
So you won't use a website provided by a multi billion dollar corporation, which is based in a country whose government puts many many (many) rules in place about how data is handled and stored. (And you can use Facebook with virtually no personal information, other than your name and ip address (which are easy to fake))

But you do put all your details onto a website run by a bloke in a house near Leeds.

I'd say it's an epic failure to understand how the internet works.
No, I don't use a website that is required by the US Government to send it's complete server-based details of all posts to it every seven days. That same US Government that is now railing against Apple and Google for implementing encryption that the FBI and CIA can't hack and trying to get the Law changed so that they have a backdoor into any encryption. And that's before we start on our own GCHQ how are looking at all our data with no reference to Government or the Law. Frankly my data is better off with a bloke in Leeds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymanski2oo1 View Post
I would guess that fb is a preferred method to use, it's not limited to a closed network of users ( ie if your on oople your probably a racer anyway ) but fb offers greater visibility for attracting new blood to the sport, friends of friends can see how much fun were having ! 😃 fb has got to be a good thing I think. How about you sign up to fb lock down all the privacy settings and just use it to view the clubs fb pages that your interested in.
That's the best reason I ever seen or heard for using FB - well argued and a very good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY View Post
I'll second that jimmy does an awesome job far better than other sites
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Yep really easy to know how the internet works, nothing is private!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymanski2oo1 View Post
I agree that in an ideal world all clubs would have up to date ( modern ) websites designed well for easy access browsing etc along with fb and oople being updated, with a team of admins that can manage it all ... But the reality of the situation( I think) is that not all websites are the same, some websites can't be updated as easily as others, some websites will need an admin with a certain amount of technical knowledge ( that you will be reliant upon to update the site when he / she is not working ), some websites are just too old and need a complete re vamp, but this all costs money and time. When you have a free resource such as fb where info can be updated by almost any club member and viewers can view the info by simply opening their Fb app on their phone at any time quickly and easily it's hard to think of a good reason not to utilise the service. I agree there are always going to be trolls posting un interesting or even offensive stuff on fb, but it takes no more than 2 clicks on the mouse to block that user so you never have to see anything from them again.
There is a good reason to put in that effort. A lot of people who take up racing are over 35 and they are not on FB. They search the internet in different ways and searching for clubs is one of them.

Recent research shows that teenagers are deserting FB in their droves because it has become the favourite haunt of their parents, and they don't want to be on anything their parents think is cool.

Multiple platforms work best, so club websites and Oople and others are worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupz View Post

Long live oOple!
Yay!