Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 19-02-2007

Default Oople...Question about 501 & BX

Hey Oople,

Between the Yokomo BX and the Tamiya 501, which one did you like better for racing? I know they are similar, but I don't know anyone who has tried both. Thanks!
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

I don't like to reccomend one car over another too much, but the 501X was definately easier to get on the pace. The car needed no work really, the only thing I added was a front one-way, personal preference. The 501X is also closer to what the (UK) Yokomo team drivers (and others) are running, with lower rear ball studs, good shock lengths, flat chassis.

The BX felt to have too much grip for high traction surfaces when I raced it - something that the team modifications have sorted out. With the right setup both cars are pretty equal I'm sure - it's just that the 501X might be easier to get there.

Yokomo have a proper distributor over here and strong racing team, where Tamiya don't, so thats always worth considering if you want to race the car competitively.
Old 19-02-2007

Yeah, a couple of guys over here are running the new Tamiya's and they are fast right out of the box. Great handling car. No Yoke's around here yet though to see. I was really impressed with how well the 501's looked on the track (this was only the second race on both of them too on two new tracks).
Who would have thought Tamiya would nail it the first time out! LOL
Old 19-02-2007

One of the guys I race with has just bought a Yok BX, he was running my DF-03 for 2 weeks before he bought the BX and he was getting on really well with it. He had a quick go with the 501 and said that went even better, even though it was only its second run and it still wasn't set up very well. Last week he ran the BX for the first time and was rather disappointed with it, it wasn't quick enough (due to under gearing) and didn't handle as well as the 501. I'm sure he'll get it set up to handle well, but the 501 just seemed to go that much better straight away. The Yok seems a lot more "picky", in that you seem to have to get it set up right before it'll go well. We shall see.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X