Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > XRAY

Old 01-01-2015

How much have you shortened the rear arms ?

2mm

Are you running the ball diff with carbide or stock ceramic balls ?

Carbide (ceramic in the thrust race)

Have you glued the diff rings ?

I run Tamiya anti slip grease on the diff plates

What tires are you running in the front compared to the rear.

We run ballistic buggy greens all round bbt01 rear and bbt05 front. Schumacher silver cut staggers work on the front but the larger diameter of the front ballistics gives better weight transfer to the rear, the schumacher tyres tend to give snap oversteer on power out of slow turns.

On very slippery tracks we have found 5 deg rear toe helps a lot, it sounds like way too much, but we back to back tested with a bmax2 and found we'd got the XRAY to go even quicker than a standard mid motor. The only place it was slightly slower was out of a 180 deg hair pin, over a full lap the Xray is now as quick / quicker. Hopefully you are coming to Robinhood Raceway for the Euros, we've got the xray running great in the wet and dry there.

We don't even tend to run rear motors in the UK anymore, even at top national level in the wet all the cars are mid or hybrid.

Last edited by andoiwebb; 01-01-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoiwebb View Post
How much have you shortened the rear arms ?

2mm

Are you running the ball diff with carbide or stock ceramic balls ?

Carbide (ceramic in the thrust race)

Have you glued the diff rings ?

I run Tamiya anti slip grease on the diff plates

What tires are you running in the front compared to the rear.

We run ballistic buggy greens all round bbt01 rear and bbt05 front. Schumacher silver cut staggers work on the front but the larger diameter of the front ballistics gives better weight transfer to the rear, the schumacher tyres tend to give snap oversteer on power out of slow turns.

On very slippery tracks we have found 5 deg rear toe helps a lot, it sounds like way too much, but we back to back tested with a bmax2 and found we'd got the XRAY to go even quicker than a standard mid motor. The only place it was slightly slower was out of a 180 deg hair pin, over a full lap the Xray is now as quick / quicker. Hopefully you are coming to Robinhood Raceway for the Euros, we've got the xray running great in the wet and dry there.

We don't even tend to run rear motors in the UK anymore, even at top national level in the wet all the cars are mid or hybrid.
Testing with Schui MiniPin, Mini Spike and Ballistic Pin/Spike have ended in us running the Yellow Cut Stagger in juts about all conditions even matched with rear Ballistic Greens.
Malin hate the Pin or Spike front tires and are way faster and more consistent with the normal Staggers.

Glue the diff rings with LocTite 648 and you will have a more consistent and longer lasting diff.

5 degree toe-in is no problem but as you have experienced it will bind up and slow it down in some corners.

We have shortened the rear arms 4mm and have adjusted accordingly with spacers to fine tune depending on grip level.

Rear motors are used here and in Sweden for the blown out dirt tracks……..everything else has been mostly mid motor for the last 2 years.
Almost everyone have separate cars for different conditions now.

We ran the B-Max2 in both rear and mid last year on all track surfaces.

We're entered for both the EUROS and WORLDS this year

Time will be spent by the entire team to work on new setups ahead of the EUROS and WORLDS

Here's her 2WD with the setup on the Xray site on astro and carpet:

And here's a newer video of her current Xray 2WD setup

Bent
Old 01-01-2015

Bent

On your set up sheet I can't see which camber link hole you're using on the front shock tower. Top, middle or bottom?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoiwebb View Post
Bent

On your set up sheet I can't see which camber link hole you're using on the front shock tower. Top, middle or bottom?

Thanks
Bottom or middle depending on grip.

Bent
Old 04-03-2015

Hi guys I'm hoping to do the Mid East regional at silverstone on the 15th March just wondered what the best tyre combination would be, would I need a shock tower protector making? plus any other help would be greatly received ( I'm going to need it) thanks
Old 04-03-2015

Low profile yellow cut staggers front, 2 sets of yellow mini spike rears with Medium inserts will be fine

Shock tower protector just use an old bit of lexan from a wing - easy!
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 15-03-2015

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to luniemiester for helping me sort and set up my car at silverstone today. I did try and find you near the end but you must of gone, shame I can't improve my driving as quickly as you improved my car.