Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 10-12-2011

Default the scrt10 myth

I recently bought a Hong Nor SCRT10 and asked the question , What power system should I be using?
There was two definite sides one said it has to be a 550 or 1/8th scale system and the other said a 540 car system would be fine.
So it was quickly decided we would go and test systems ourselves and find out what worked?
So me and the guys gathered up as many brushless systems as we had and could find and headed off to the Ledbury 1/8th buggy circuit.
All testing was done on 2 cell Lipo 90C, we started off with a Novak 1/8th Scale system which was around the 4000KV mark - so I was told. We immediately fell in love with the truck and the system. It really is stonking round the 1/8th scale buggy circuit. We figured the other systems would have a hard job keeping up with the 550 system. ( I Should also add that all testing was done on stock gearing)
After a 10 minute run, the ESC and motor came off cool to the touch.
We then installed a NOVAK 10.5 540 system, followed by An LRP 10.5 540 system and a TEKEN 10.5 system and to be honest there wasn't a huge amount of difference anywhere on the track, between the 550 systems and the 540 systems and all were coming off after 10 minutes cool to the touch.
The 550 may have had slightly more torque but not enough to warrant the extra cost of a 550 system over a 540 system.
And the last system we chucked in was a real shocker. and EZ run 60 Amp ESC and EZ run 8.5 motor (which is actually 4000KV, which is much the same as a top line 10.5) again the system performed as well as any of the others and came in after a 15 minute run with the speedo at 30 degrees and the motor at 37 degrees.
4000KV and 2 cell Lipo seems just about perfect on a racetrack for this truck, with a good turn of speed down the straight and good punch out of the corners.

So in my opinion (and this is just my opinion) having an 1/8th scale or 550 system is nice to have if you've got the money, but isn't really necessary in this truck.
I hope this helps others to decide on a system.
Old 10-12-2011

nice test, the scrt´s are alot of fun. you should of played with some gearing to see the difference also as those motor esc temps are very low to say the least. I know some dont like the 540 in the truck as it can overheat, but they are normally living in sunny cali not in freeze your ass of uk.
Old 10-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good test but was it 2 or 4wd,i know 2wd sct run fine with 1/10 buggy electrics,if it was the 4wd you ran then that is good news

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 10-12-2011

Yep 4wd
Old 10-12-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

i run an associated sc10 4x4 and can highly recomend the Novak Sc and thier 550 motor
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es..._sc/index.html
i find it faster than a 10.5 540, though my 2wd has a 10.5 or 8.5 540 motor is it.
all down to cost and taste i guess
Old 10-12-2011

I probably haven't worded my initail thread very well.
I know a lot of people are put off this truck because they think they have to run a dedicated 550 system and can't use their existing stuff - which isn't the case. Hell I almost sold mine last week untill I did the testing. My point is : if you can afford a 550 system then go for it, but don't think you cant run the truck on your 540 system.
Old 10-12-2011

Understand exactly where you're coming from Gordy - I've run a '540 size' cheapy 9.5 turn EZrun system in an SCRT and it performed well against other 4WD trucks....now using the same electrics in an Associated SC10 4x4 - just as capable in that.

Sometimes I reckon manufacturers press home the need for bigger motors just to bump up sales - and the 'must-haves' fall for it.
Old 10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukeboxman View Post
Understand exactly where you're coming from Gordy - I've run a '540 size' cheapy 9.5 turn EZrun system in an SCRT and it performed well against other 4WD trucks....now using the same electrics in an Associated SC10 4x4 - just as capable in that.

Sometimes I reckon manufacturers press home the need for bigger motors just to bump up sales - and the 'must-haves' fall for it.
I run the same system, never had any issues! Love it! Came 3rd in the HPI event last year with it too! Sod the expense of the bigger 550 systems etc! Lipo last for ever too!
Old 21-12-2011
Mad Member

Just read this with interest as i've been running 4WD SCT's in anger for around 18 mths...

ran a 6.5T 540 in a SCRT-10 on carpet indoors and astro outdoors and was running very warm (yes i know how to gear a car!)

would definitely go for the 550 systems over 540's as the extra performance and acceleration definitely helps when coming out of tight corners and needing the extra burst to clear multiple jumps/obstacles.

The listed power output of my 4.5T 550 LRP X12L against a LRP 6.5T X12 is over double... there is obviously going to be a massive difference in performance!

with most 4WD SCT's being over a 1/3 heavier than a 4WD buggy there is going to be need for more power just to get the truck moving

is the test track used a dirt surface or grippy astro?

i feel that if you threw high grip like astro and spiked tyres into the test that the temperature results would be very different.

saw lots of people struggling with thermal shutdowns on the warmer race days at NDOR SCT Nationals and our BRCA Regional events throughout summer and i would never try and run a 4wd SCT at any track without a well fanned motor.

The other point is that honestly the SCRT-10 is not really competitive at top level compared to the Durango SCT, which is wiping the floor with the class... it's still a very good truck and a great club level/basher/entry level racer

Old 22-12-2011

+1 on the weather conditions during summer you will find 540 systems shutting down on 4x4 sct, ive witnessed this many a time last year
Old 24-12-2011
Mad Member

Default interesting

I am about to invest in a hong nor.

so you have confirmed what i was hoping.

I have normal decewnt 10th electrics spare so these will be sitting in the new SC truck.

thinking a 5.5T motor or maybe a 7.5T....

after running with no turbo etc, and ots a 4wd, so prob try a 5.5t and a fan on the esc...

unless anyone wants to change my mind.....
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =