Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 27-09-2013

Default Dex410 Noisy when pulling away

Hi Folks,

I picked up a new Durango DEX410RV3 this week and have just finished building it tonight (put a Turnigy 80A Trackstar Waterproof ESC in with a Turnigy Trackstar 5200Kv motor (21 Pinion gear)

All seems fine except for initial pulling away - I get this rapid knocking sound (something like a jackhammer (but 1/10 scale ) for the first meter or so, then its fine. If the car is rolling and you accelerate, you don't hear the sound. If I pick the car up and accelerate hard, no sound. Its only when its on the ground.

I thought it could be the slipper clutch however the only video I can find on youtube that has the sound on it, makes more of a whoosh sound when it slips.

The motor looks meshed against the spur gear (and not slipping) so I am at a loss what it could be.

I have found that I have installed my diffs upside down in the car, but I don't suppose that makes that much difference but will swap them back tomorrow morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 27-09-2013
Mad Member

Difficult to say without seeing the car. But sounds like the rear diff isn't shimmed correctly. Check the manual
Old 27-09-2013

Hi,

Maybe have a look to see if the screws that hold the motor in are not touching against the pinion.

Thanks

Old 27-09-2013

Thanks guys - I will pull the diffs tonight (turn them the right way) and then check them over.

The motor mount screws aren't touching the gears. Although if they were I would assume I'd get the noise all of the time rather than just for the initial second or so of acceleration from a standing start?
Old 27-09-2013
Mad Member

I had it when my diff wasn't shimmed correctly. The gears can slip under high loads. I got it under heavy braking too.
Also check the outdrive bearings are seated in the diff case correctly, this can cause the same symptoms.
Old 27-09-2013

Sorry for OT but: Are you sure you have diffs wrong way? If they're upside down car would go backwards. Rear diff can go in only one way (there's a cutaway in plastic part on bottom on chassis to make diff easier to slip in) and front diff have to go in according to rear diff because it would turn opposite way (backwards) if inserted wrong. Check in manual how they should go in, there's only one way for them to work properly (go forward).
Old 27-09-2013

Well I am not sure So according to the manual and from what I have found elsewhere, the screwheads should be on the bottom.

However I have managed to fit mine in with the screwheads on the top (on the front and rear)

As for them running forward or backwards, I guess with the brushless motor I can just change 2 of the wires to make the motor spin the other way so it doesn't really matter which way they go?
Old 27-09-2013
Mad Member

When u say swap two wires ova I guess the esc is sensorless? If so the first couple of feet when u pull away the car will judder an make some noise like that until the the esc can find the position of the rotor in the motor (something like that anyway) an then it will run smooth when its going
Old 27-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Brewer View Post
I guess the esc is sensorless? If so the first couple of feet when u pull away the car will judder an make some noise like that until the the esc can find the position of the rotor in the motor (something like that anyway) an then it will run smooth when its going
+1

This is known as cogging and is common with sensorless systems.
You may be able alleviate the problem somewhat by using a smaller pinion.
Old 27-09-2013

Wow - You could be onto something and I have learnt something new Thanks guys.

Yes, I tried a couple of thingsthis evening before stripping down the diffs. I removed the front dog bone, same problem. Replaced that and removed the rear one - Same problem. So I deduced it was something with the slipper. I loosened that right off and the judder went away (but with loads of slipping)

So I guess it is cogging (yes its a sensorless motor). Nothing to worry about then and no need to tear down the diffs (although I will look at flipping them over)

Thanks chaps - has put my mind at rest
Old 27-09-2013

I would have thought it is the shimming of the bevel and diffs in the gear box.
First I would recommend shimming the bevel gear and put in the lower case,shim until it starts to get bind then take one shim out,then put the diff in the lower housing (without the bevel gear in) and shim until it binds and go back one shim then you know how many shims are needed. Then put the bevel and diff gear back in and move the shims about on the diff until it spins freely(not too freely though).
Another thing I would recommend to make the car run smoother/quieter is to put diff oil on the bevel and diff drive.
Hope this helps. With all the power drive you get with the 410,the gearbox must be shimmed correctly,I know because mine made the same noise when I first built mine!