Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 05-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Exclamation Communication?

Hi all

after last sunday I am left scratching my head a little, what is the best way for you all to communicate with me? Oople is ok but the thread for racing last sunday had well over 100 views with only 2x reply's, we had 5 turn up,lowest turnout for months, dan would have saved himself a long drive and I could have saved time packing all the gear needed to run the meeting considering I had to drive to london and back in the afternoon

I don't want to start ringing round everyone saturday, the chap who ran the rallyx club before us started doing that and ended up with massive phone bills.

I have no problem if people can't race for any reason,it's only a hobby, but if we get a situation like last sunday when most people seem to have been busy I would have called the meeting off or moved it to another sunday.

So whats the answer? facebook page or everyone gives me their Email addresses so I can send mass Emails out for you all to respond to, or text messages.

It would just be good to know what people want to do, last meeting we had a great turnout and everyone had a great time,with new race system...next meeting great weather,no racers? I want to invest in improving the club biggest thing being AMB,I can't do this if I don't know if we are even going to be having enough people to run a meeting.

Please don't think I'm having a dig, I'm not. I just want to know whats best and I know nearly all our members are lurking on oople

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 05-12-2013

Talking

hi dave i think oople is fine like u said most members are on here its just getting people to reply perhaps some sort of cut off system where if people have,nt let you know by a certain time you,ll have to assume there not coming or racing and arrange or move the meeting accordingly just a suggestion.
Old 05-12-2013
Mad Member

Set each new date up as a poll, then you can have a flick through the responses if you want, but at the top you have the numbers.

IN.
OUT.
POSSIBLY.

or similar, then you can make a call on running, or not.

Dunno if you can make it so you can see the respondents to the poll on here or not, but even without that function, you can at least gauge the level of interest (as opposed to 100 posts and 5 drivers.)
Old 05-12-2013

Hi dave,
I'm guilty for regularly checking in on Oople but not necessarily posting to indicate whether I can attend or not. I find this platform (Oople) the easiest to use as far as updates go on club news and upcoming meetings are concerned. Perhaps all club members need to commit to posting whether or not they can attend on the week running up to a race meeting with a deadline of Saturday morning..if by then numbers are not confirmed a view can be taken as to whether or not to hold the meeting. I know I haven't been able to join in as much as would have liked to over the last few months but I really enjoy it when I can... I am more than happy to post on a weekly/fortnightly basis by the Saturday to say whether I am "in" or "out".
Just a thought but hope it helps.. JB
Old 06-12-2013

Hi Dave
With 100+ views, there seems to be lots interested and informed.
The poll seems a really good idea.
Combination of weather & other commitments, means I've missed out recently.

Could the drop in numbers be linked to the switch to dirt track & new tyres?

This time of year, One thing I've struggled with is the 10/11am start 3/4pm finish, meaning a full day is needed, would a more focused am OR pm get numbers up?, I know I would be more able to attend.

Andrew
Old 06-12-2013

This is the wrong place for capturing info like planned attendance. There are free services like meetup.com that I am a member of many groups that enables members to RSVP. It's a good service and provides many features. Perhaps creating a NBC group and adding everyone as members would work.

When you create a meeting within the group, everyone in the group will get notified and can RSVP with either "Maybe", "Yes" or "No". So you know where you stand. These updates get sent out via email.

An example of this is SyncNorwich - a technology group in Norwich: http://www.meetup.com/syncnorwich/events/150047742/

It supports comments per meeting and photos to be uploaded and hosted on meetup. It is a better place than oople for this I think.

I work in the tech field @ Microsoft so use meetup a lot.

I'm finding most of the meets at NBC clash with Coastal and as I prefer to race on astroturf because it's clean and I have very little time to strip down and clean my car between race meetings, I tend to drive down to Ipswich and race there.

Simon
Old 06-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

ok good stuff so far,food for thought.

I have realised that I have half a club that love the dirt, and half that do not.It's a great shame that if people find the dirt hard they don't come

can't help with the clean car stuff,I can't see us moving from natroturf .

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 06-12-2013

I love the dirt track, I just don't love the cleaning and stripping the car down bit! In the dry the dirt rocks as it's just dust that you can blow off, the problem is when it's wet just like wet mud.

Perhaps revisiting the indoor racing option during the winter months would also be a good idea, assuming we can find somewhere suitable in the Norfolk area. I would be up for that. I was thinking of trying the Colchester club but it's a long way to go for a touring car style track.

Simon
Old 06-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think you would be surprised the last couple of times we used the dirt damp the cars were cleaner than if we ran on grass,only needed a brush off, dirt was damp, the grass was holding water, so was wet errrm if you see what I mean

Right, indoor,as long as the weather holds I want to keep NBC outdoors as long as possible, and in the past most members have wanted to also, as they don't like the flat indoor racing and the need for mini pins.
From my self centered point of view I need to use the NBC tracks to creat funds to pay the rent etc for as long as possible, if we stop NBC from October to march and head to another club NBC looses money and I end up paying the rent out of my pocket.
If the weather turns realy nasty with snow etc we have headed indoors before to get our RC fix
If I were a rich man I would move the club indoors with a worksop/Martime style offroad track for some realy good racing over the winter months.

but I deviate from the original thread so back to communication......

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 16-12-2013

Default Communication (lack of)

Hi Dave

I am really only interested in racing buggies in the warmer / dryer months, as I don't really find being cold and wet and a filthy car much fun.

I do come on here to check and keep up with the news but don't post if I am not intending to race until next year.

Maybe others feel the same as me which might explain your high page views and low posts.

Chris