Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 05-03-2012

Default New Season, New Mardave Rules

CHASSIS AND COMPONENTS
GENERAL CONSTRUCTION RULES
Cars to be Mardave V12 chassis and suspension.
Ball races allowed on both front and rear axles.
Either 32 or 48 dp pinion and spur gear to be used.
Mardave Differentials will be allowed.
V20 & V20a wheel carriers & S1048Z – S1054Z white delrin Gears are allowed.
Car suspension and wheel carriers shall remain as kit although any commercially available springs may be used.
The use of countersunk holes and screws on the underside of the chassis are mandatory.
Body mounts may be changed or altered.
Battery mountings may be changed from original.
The motor may be fitted to either side of the pod, either directly or via a spacer/plate(to prevent heat transfer and
softening of the blocks, or for weight distribution) providing that there are no alterations to the mounting blocks.Mardave V8AB alloy
pod may be used.
No external bumpers are permitted, and no metal bumpers are permitted.
Any make of servo, servo saver or track rod ends can be used on the cars steering system.
Heat sinks with cooling fans are allowed.
Plastic whip aerials are allowed but no metal whip aerials or rollover masts

BODYSHELL
.any commercially available shell can be used
ELECTRICS
BRUSHED
Any type, make and capacity of speed controller may be used
Cars to use a maximum of 2s lipo or 6 cell nimh all lipos must be in a case Battery mountings may be changed from the original.
Brushed Motors will be the hpi saturn

BRUSHLESS 13.5
Only the hobbywing ez run 17.5 motor and esc to be used
a maximum of 2s lipo or 6 cell nimh all lipos must be in a case
TYRES
The tires may be changed from the original kit tires Any foam tire make or compound allowed
GENERAL SETUP
Minimum car ride height will be no lower than 5mm,
Old 05-03-2012

Looks good to me.
One point regarding the rear pod. There is an optional alloy pod produced by Mardave, which by the rules above would be perfectly legal. I don't see why any other aftermarket pod should not also be allowed. I think a more directed version of this rule should be used - floating rear pods must be used and no independent rear suspension is allowed.
Old 05-03-2012

trouble is dave if you do that it would mean you could use any rear pod from a 12th car which would give a massive advantage
Old 05-03-2012

Not sure about that, wouldn't that push the rear out to beyond the standard track width? Might also want to stipulate the use of standard Mardave width wheels, as the big advantage that 1/12th pan cars have probably mainly comes from the tyre width.
Old 05-03-2012

even the original rc12 rear pod is a far superior design to the mardave and would give a huge advantage over a stock mardave pod. if you start changing things like that it wrecks the whole one manufacture class and you might as well be running 12th pan cars. the mardave alloy pod is a direct copy of the original in function so other than motor cooling and ride hight gives no advantage.
Old 06-03-2012

Looks gd to me gordy area already legal, well when mark/James has countersunk the chassis it will be :-)

Think there be a few people that moan like anything at are club tho who don't hav c/s chassis and like to run there care slow as f***
Old 06-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Be interested in seeing how this works out, I'll hopefully be back at club very soon and always said that hall is perfect for 'daves.
Old 06-03-2012

Do we need any specific rules around front bumpers? i.e. that it needs to sit inside the shell and be made of plastic? or be restricted to the genuine Mardave one, I know the one I've got is the "Mardave Racing Rebel" bumper.
Old 06-03-2012

Might want to specify a bumper is required, but really it is mainly your own shell that gets trashed if you don't have one so I am not sure it should be in the rules. Definitely shouldn't be plastic only though, as I would much rather run a foam one which is also safer. Maybe welded steel or billet alloy bull bars should be outlawed though
Old 06-03-2012

What about robot wars style hypnodisk defence system?
Old 06-03-2012

AWOOGA!
Old 10-03-2012

Had a chat with all the Mardave drivers last night (i think all) and all seemed happy with the new rules bar one. but at the end of the day we'll gather all the Mardave drivers up and have a vote on it. And if most are happy then the rules will go through .
Oh yes, no metal bumpers, no hypnodiscs and defiantly no small shot guns hidden under the shell!! That's not the write way to blow your competition away !
The rules should be easy to stick to, as Mardave now produce a bloody good range of cars and upgrades, and they also have a really good website now for parts. I'm not sure who's in charge of Mardave anymore but who ever it is they're doing a bloody good job of it.
Old 11-03-2012

I'd heard there was a reasonable amount of Mardave activity over on http://rccircuitcars.com/ so I thought I would post a question on there about Mardave power rules. I know a lot of clubs don't run with 2S and use a 4 NiMh or 1S rule which I personally think is a bad idea. Without going in to detail the thread turned into a complete mess with various stupid comments coming across as seems to be so common on Mardave forums. However there seems there might be an undercurrent of appreciation for the 2S LiPo battery amongst a few clubs, running with a 21.5T motor limit so that the performance is equal to a 1S car on 13.5T. This sounds to me like a really nice idea, and it would possibly pull the Mardaves at our club more into line with what might well be happening BRCA-wide in the future.
At the moment we are running rocket ship Mardaves at Gloucester with way more power than other places seem to be. Maybe if the Mardaves get much more popular at Glos we should consider a fast and a slow class.

SLOW - 1S 13.5T minimum
SLOW - 4 cell 13.5T minimum or any brushed motor
SLOW - 2S 21.5T minimum
Anything 6 cell or 2S with less than 21.5T is FAST.

This way people wanting to fall in line with the speeds seen elsewhere and possibly also race elsewhere can do so by running in the slow class.
To summarise why there is a little bit of friction with this, running 1S LiPos does not work if you are trying to make a cheap class of racing work. You need an expensive speedo and often also a voltage booster to run your electronics, and even then the 1S packs and are much more heavily stressed than a small 2S. If Mardave continues to be seen as budget racing I don't think 1S is going to cut it.
Old 11-03-2012

I must admit Dave, I've also been round a lot of the Mardave forums and the hostility between the people who do the BRCA events is horendous and worse than any other class I've raced in. I'm sure this isn't all the people that do it, but it's a good few of them.
I also must admit my personal view on motors and blah blah blah is that 13.5 and 2 cell is way too fast, it's alright for someone like yourself who has the reactions of a rattle snake, but for us mere mortals it's just too fast.
I personally prefer the old rules of 2's Lipo and 21 turn saturn motor, which was plenty quick enough for our club.
Doing a stock and modified class is absolutely fine, but we need 5 people to make a class. and at the moment we have about 20people in mod and one or two in stock.
At the end of the day everybody needs to vote on this, we don't run the club as a dictatorship, it's got to be what the racers want.

The rules I posted above are just an idea, if people want it different they need to speak out, but we have to go with the majority.....
Old 11-03-2012

Agreed. As I was alluding to in the previous post, I'm not sure there are enough people racing Mardave at Glos to justify what I was saying just yet. I also think the Saturn and 2 cell setup is a great sweet spot, but also it isn't sustainable to have no brushless equivalent. If you have the gear already that's cool but I think in the long term something of equal performance but brushless is eventually required.
Old 11-03-2012

go on then mate find me a equivalent brushless and we can go from there there must be one somewhere
Old 12-03-2012

version 2 of the rules now at the top of the page
Old 12-03-2012

dave I wouldn't worry too much about your thread on the other forum I spent a lot of time going round the Internet today researching everything i can on rules and what's going on in the mardve world. it would appear from an outsider looking in that not many are even doing mardave nationals this year due to the bickering and the very dated rules .however there does appear to be really healthy club scene with most clubs running their own variations on the rules so I think our rules will be absolutely fine as most clubs run different ones to each other anyway
Old 12-03-2012

Yeah looks like you're right there Gord.
Still I think 21.5T brushless might end up being the Saturn equivalent. I might buy one to perform this experiment. There's a nice looking motor here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speed-Pass...item2a17b17a76

Which is a decent price. Should be somewhere around 1800kV which gives an added Mardave bonus - getting the gearing right is going to be much easier. With 3000kV on 2S I am running the smallest pinion I can fit and 75T spur and in reality my car is still over geared. The motor can't get any closer to the axle. Pretty sure most of us are up against this. With a 21.5T something more like 26-70 might be suitable which is a much more comfortable ratio in the car. Also smaller spur = smaller diameter tyres possible which will be better for stopping roll-overs of course.
Old 12-03-2012

That motor does seem a good price Dave. Your probably right about 21.5 and Saturn being fairly equal, trouble is i need a motor that's easily available from a UK supplier to be able to put it into the rules. A 17.5 may also be fairly close. Do giant cod do any ez systems around this performance?