Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 12-03-2012

Can I just say gord 2 things, u got brushed limited to hpi Saturn motors n brushless limited to 13.5 which seems a huge gap as 13 brushless is miles faster then saturn. I think faster brushed motors should be allowed to race against the brushless car or it's instantly a class of its own 'mardave brushless' which there is currently only one off which I'm sure isn't the idea

Also ride hight of 5mm n the brca rules are 3mm duno of u new that but just so ya no ;-)
Old 12-03-2012

Yes mate i know theres a huge gap at the moment, between brushed and brushless which is why we are looking at 17.5 and 21.5 motors. and you really can't run hotter brushed motors due to the lack of gearing available. and i know what your going to say, but your throttle is turned down and reiglers Saturn was far faster than yours down the straight anyway. as for ride height, when we tried 3.5 mm before we spent most of the night re-laying the tape.if you say 5mm it gives a bit if leeway. personally i would like to limit the hole class to saturn motors but that's probably not moving with the times
Old 12-03-2012

Chris, you are right - the 13T brushless being pretty much the fastest you can go in Mardave. There are enough of us running at a similar speed at the moment for it not to matter too much, but with a little more practise and set-up time we will get to the point where differences in power are going to be more noticeable because we will all be driving well. My car on 13T with the Extreme Stock ESC is quite a bit more powerful than anyone else's car I think. That's why I'm thinking a future plan to equalise the BL motor to something a little more gearable and not too fast might be wise, seems like Gordy agrees.

Giant Cod do have a few potential candidates. Even down to a 32T 1200kV M-car motor which is probably a bit too slow. Best bet looks to be the EZ-Run 17.5, but it would need testing as the low speed smoothness might not be great. These high inductance sensorless motors don't drive as well as the low turn ones. Exactly how much worse, we would have to buy and test.
You know what would be really great? A stock axle where the diff housing was an outrunner motor. Less pod weight, no gearing issues, controlled power with everyone the same. No gear meshing so one less thing for newbies to get wrong too. Anyway we'll have to keep that one in the dream cabinet for now.
Old 12-03-2012

I agree Dave we not gettin the most out of the cars yet and ur far from making the most out of the power you have which I'm sure you will soon but then again team Dave is currently only running 65% power on the handset so we got more power if required we just got it turned down to the speed of Si's Kinda pace as that's who we keep havin close racing with.
+ a solid axle can't take more power ;-)

Last edited by Simion Wabs; 13-03-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: removal of name
Old 12-03-2012

Ha ha Dave, I do love your vision! Always thinking outside the box. It'll make you very very wealthy one day.
Old 26-03-2012

Default Brushless

Hi Gordy,
unsure if this brushless limit has been decided or not yet (guidelines above still unclear). However, with the advent of the CE version of the Mardave, it is now clear that the standard chassis restriction of 17.5 brushless - 20turn brushed no longer applies. The new chassis can clearly handle more power than the previous aluminium slab. I would suggest that we keep the class open to 13.5 brushless / 19 turn brushed as you still require good driving skills to keep these cars on the track with that level of performance. I for one will be sticking to the Saturn 20T as this coupled with a decent battery/esc is quick enough to compete with the NKOTB (I hope so when the new battery arrives). As this is still a budget class of racing, I would not want individuals to go out and spend more money on a brushless motor that is only suitable to one class of racing. 13.5T brushless motors can be used in TC's as well so are interchangeable between classes. I agree that blinky mode (non turbo/advanced timing settings) should be set to factory.
On another point, the standard of racing in the Mardave class has improved significantly during recent weeks. Popularity seems to be increasing week on week. I have been saying for years this is the best class for indoor racing. Now if only everyone had one....
2011/12 Winter Champ (LOL)
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"
Old 26-03-2012

And I can't c the point in changing the rules so that lots of people have to change equipment. There not been a problem with things recently so y change it?
Old 26-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
And I can't c the point in changing the rules so that lots of people have to change equipment. There not been a problem with things recently so y change it?
I suppose now team Dave has a diff mr beeby will be having challenging races
Old 26-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simion Wabs View Post
On another point, the standard of racing in the Mardave class has improved significantly during recent weeks. Popularity seems to be increasing week on week. I have been saying for years this is the best class for indoor racing. Now if only everyone had one....
2011/12 Winter Champ (LOL)
Si you realise Shane has a mardave now
Old 27-03-2012

Yea but what's fun y is the standard has improved since people from other classes such as TC hav started racing mardave ;-) there just a gd heat of drivers now with the exception of Simon who takes people out when ur lapping them on the last lap costing sum1 (team Dave)5 seconds and the extra lap ;-)

But watch mardave die out now shane got one lol
Old 12-04-2012

can we add the new schuey stox to the chassis listing..... please.

It looks awesome and would improve the racing competition no end
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 12-04-2012

I'd still like the clarification on the motor classes before the new season starts. The 'rules' still state 17.5.
Old 13-04-2012

Me too - I'm really keen to try a 17.5. Not much point until we can find a reliable UK source though.
Old 14-04-2012

so when are you gonna take the 10.5 out of the team dave car then chris????
Old 15-04-2012

When we can afford to buy summit that won't quadruple the value of the car
Old 15-04-2012

wabbs....only one problem with adding the stox......its not a dave.....
Old 15-04-2012

baldy...best not break a ball link then as that could write it off
Old 19-04-2012

no longer interested in the schuey supastox as it requires saddle packs for 1S and 2S lipo
Hopefully a stick conversion will be available soon

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 20-04-2012

I don't think it will be a problem fitting the 'small' size 2S LiPo packs that we all use though.
Old 22-04-2012

Ok, so just read through the latest posts and following on from Ash's comments on Friday night, where do we stand for the summer championship?

My view is that we should stick with 2 classes based around the core rules outlined at the start of the thread but with the following class rules-

Stock - motor limit set at 20t HPI saturn

Open - whatever!

I realise this would mean that we will have mixed finals, but if we get an A final with half open and half stock thats ok isn't it?? I don't see the problem i.e. It just means that if there are 2 stock runners in the A final and the B final is won by a stock runner they would effectively be 3rd. I think this is how it currently works.

Also this approach means there are no issues with low numbers that we would get if we were to formally split the class, i.e. stock and open can always run together if there are only say 2 of each at a meeting

We would just need someone (gordy?) to check the stock cars to make sure they are legal, otherwise they either change it or get changed to an open runner

Last edited by grayslick; 22-04-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: make sense