Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 11-07-2011

Default NW London Nostalgia

Hi all

I have got back into racing after about 20 years away from it. Does anyone remember the indoor racing club in Sudbury Hill? It used to be on a Monday night in the St Andrews church hall on carpet. Pitting used to be done in the entrance foyer and also on the stage. The rostrum was on the stage also and track markings were made using sand filled hire hoses. I do remember there was one committee member called Roger Brown, who was quite a character. Also, a top racer called Pete Stevens used to come along, who I was told at the time was a World Champion? I used to race there in about 1990 ish.

Also, the old outdoor track at the Target roundabout at Northolt. Does anyone else remember these clubs and is the indoor club still going? I know the outdoor track is now houses. There was also a big track at West Drayton that I went to a few times.
Old 15-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bod View Post
Hi all

I have got back into racing after about 20 years away from it. Does anyone remember the indoor racing club in Sudbury Hill? It used to be on a Monday night in the St Andrews church hall on carpet. Pitting used to be done in the entrance foyer and also on the stage. The rostrum was on the stage also and track markings were made using sand filled hire hoses. I do remember there was one committee member called Roger Brown, who was quite a character. Also, a top racer called Pete Stevens used to come along, who I was told at the time was a World Champion? I used to race there in about 1990 ish.

Also, the old outdoor track at the Target roundabout at Northolt. Does anyone else remember these clubs and is the indoor club still going? I know the outdoor track is now houses. There was also a big track at West Drayton that I went to a few times.
I was reading the latest Radio Racecar International the other day and the tribute to Mike Reedy. In the article is makes reference to a Pete Stevens (in a photo). This looks to be the Pete Stevens that used to race at the above club. Does anyone know who he was?
Old 15-07-2011

Ooops, I have just done some google'ing and found out some more about Pete Stevens. He obviously was massive in the RC industry and yes I had some of his Pete's Awesome Products in my car. It is a shame to hear of the recent news about him. He did dominate the A finals when he raced at this indoor club. I remember that he had a son that was also quite good at racing.