Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 06-04-2017

Default New radio/servo for TC

I've been running a Spektrum converted KO Esprit Vantage since my return to racing a few years back (I used to race with an Esprit 2 and always loved it, so it was natural to fall back to that shape when returning), and it has been absolutely faultless. Along with this, i've run various different servos in various cars, but have returned to TC in the last few months running a Savox 1251MG low profile servo.

This is a combination that I ran when first going back to the track and didn't have any issues, but last run I found a glitch that popped up every so often over the night. This glitch felt a little like a 'brown out' type of situation, where I lost throttle completely and coasted to a stop, and if mid-corner, the lock 'locked' - like someone had flicked the switch off.

In each event this happened for a couple of seconds or so. Long enough to notice, short enough to come back to life before a marshall got to the car.

With this in mind, i'm wondering if it might be worthwhile updating some of the electrics. What is a good call for a servo to replace the Savox? In the same mind, what is a good stick tx to call to now? I know they're a bit thin on the ground now steer wheels have taken over, so is it really a case of dropped a few hundred on a Sanwa or Esprit 4?
Old 06-04-2017
Mad Member

Have you considered putting a booster (capacitor) in the receiver?

Savox servos do have a bit of a rep for high current draw - if you're suffering a brown out on lock that could be the answer? The high current draw means your radio is momentarily going to a failsafe position - especially if your batteries aren't at their peak or you have voltage cutoff on the ESC set a little high.

Just a thought.....
Old 06-04-2017

I had the same thing happen to my touring car when using a savox servo. I fitted a power capacitor to the receiver and its been fine since, Some receivers don't like the high current draw of savox servos.

If you're happy with your transmitter just buy a power capacitor, it's a lot cheaper
Old 06-04-2017

I chucked a few old bits in my TC3 including a Savox 1257TG and an LRP IPC Speedo. It glitched before the power cap, and was fine after. Certainly worth a try.
Old 06-04-2017

I have one you can try. I'll bring it Friday.
Old 06-04-2017

Cheers all, I'll give it a go and see if it solves the glitch. At least I'll find out if that is the issue!

Wig - thanks mate, but I won't be there this week!