Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-04-2015

Smile Alien Power Systems!

Hi all,

I am trying to generate some hype about the Alien Power systems 10th scale Electronics as I am aware most of you have not heard about them before!
(Hope I am allowed to do this mods?)

So firstly, abit of background about me and my racing, I live in Huddersfield and race at Bury Metro Club. I have been racing 10th scale off-road for 2 years now starting at the bottom and rising to be a mid-level club racer.
I have approached the owner of Alien Power Systems Bruno, and he has agreed to sponsor me with his electrics.
His intentions are to get his LiPos (at the moment, 2S stick, saddle and shorty) registered with the BRCA as well as his modified spec (and possibly stock spec) motors.

I am running these electrics in a Cobra Xb4 2wd which I have owned for a few meetings, I used to run the Vampire SR1 + esc with a HPI Flux pro 7.5t motor with Turnigy nanotech A spec Lipo’s.

Bruno has supplied me with a 120A esc, 8.5, 7.5 and 6.5t motors and the esc setting box. First impressions were that the esc looks very similar to the Hobbywing 3.1, but with what appears to be a better cooling system. It has holes drilled through the fins to allow the airflow to be gathered in all 4 directions (which is really hard to show in a photo) and the top casing is one piece aluminium which will also help with heat dissipation. Also the fan is one of the quietest I’ve ever heard and is abit bigger than most other esc fans.

The motors look really good, they have a one piece aluminium CNC machined can and some nice tabs to solder too, (unlike the HobbyKing ones that are a beast to solder too!)

Soldering to the battery posts is also very easy, at any angle due to the slotted design (please see pics) and the esc comes with nice coloured heatshrink for the posts. It also has a nice feature built into the on/off button where it flashes;

Function LED LED Status
Low Voltage of the Battery Red LED Blinking
Overhead of the ESC and Motor (95℃) Blue LED Blinking
Sensored Mode Red and Blue LED On
Sensorless Mode Blue LED On

This is quite useful when wanting to check your sensor cable (as a just in case!)

First impressions when using the program card were, “Wow, that’s a LOT of options” if you have a look through the esc manual it shows what the adjustment parameters are. (http://alienpowersystem.com/wp-conte...ESC-manual.pdf)

I was a bit confused by the setup for the esc, as it says set the esc throttle to reverse in order to set the end points for the throttle. I haven’t tried this yet as it seems that the esc was set right as soon as I plugged it in (I will check with Bruno about this and update accordingly)

I started with the 7.5t with 23t pinion and the following settings.

Punch rate1; 15
Punch rate2; 15
TH SW Point; 50%
Initial brake ;10%
Drag brake; 10%
Brake strength; 75%
Brake Rate1; 20
Brake Rate2; 20
BR SW Point; 50%
Boost timing; 10 deg
BT start RPM; 15,000
BT End RPM; 25,000
BT Slope; Linear
Stability; Yes
Turbo timing; 10 deg
TB activation; Full Th
Turbo delay; 0.3s
TB start rpm; 20,000rpm
TB Eng slope; 15deg/0.1s
TV DEng slope; 24deg/0.1s

It seemed at first that this setup had 2 stages of “boost” but it is the advanced timing settings that causes this, (it’s not noticeable on the track) the difference between turbo and normal running is almost un-noticeable just hit the straight and keep accelerating!. For saying I was using a 7.5t motor it felt really really quick, almost like a 5.5t with turbo down the straights. I put a solid shorty pack through the electronics and after a 10 minute run the motor was hot enough to touch comfortably and the esc was nice and cool.

At Bury the front straight has a raise and table top at the end. It felt almost as if the brakes wouldn’t be able to stop the car at the speed at which I was carrying up and onto the table top. But each time I was able to get the car round the corner at the end without grip rolling or overshooting, the brakes are phenomenally good. I changed to a 24t and it was even faster at the end of the straights, and still the brakes caught the buggy.

All in all, after one setup and I feel like the products are solid and much smoother and quicker at power delivery than my old sr1 plus esc’s I think the 7.5t is a bit too quick at the moment and so I will switch to an 8.5t for the next round of testing or lower the settings a tad.

Round 2 of testing
I swapped the motor out for the 8.5t and found it was very smooth on the infield but didn’t have the initial up and go from the 7.5t, I played around with some of the settings, upping the boost etc but I still thought the 7.5t was nicer to drive and nice and punchy.

Bury Metro race weekend
Switched back to the 7.5t for the Bury race weekend and the car was much better, the speedo was just getting warm after a 5 min run and the motor was still fine to touch, I managed to achieve 2nd place on the start line of the E final and went on to win the race in the end!

I was also running 4wd with the Vampire sr1+ esc and HPI flux pro 7.5t, I always felt like it didn’t quite have the up and go that the Alien electrics do, so I will hopefully be running the alien gear in the 4wd for the next meeting.

Bruno has also informed me that the first shipments of Li-Po’s will be here soon so I am very much looking forward to testing with these, (although they will sadly not be on the BRCA list until next year)

The motors have had the necessary changes to hopefully pass the homologation process and I am awaiting shipment so I can send them off to the BRCA for approval hopefully some time soon!

I'm hopefully in the process of trying to set up some sort of discount for people reading this thread with Bruno too.

Thanks for reading!
Any Questions please feel free to message me and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150327_105509.jpg (108.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20150327_105445(small).jpg (119.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20150327_134248(small).jpg (131.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20150327_170933(small).jpg (116.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20150419_175808_001(small).jpg (127.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20150419_175729(small).jpg (128.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by diago999; 24-04-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 25-04-2015
Mad Member

They look good but are essentially a hobbywing speedo and motor just rebranded.
Best of luck with you venture.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 25-04-2015

Hi tyreman,
Thanks for the well wishing,
The alien power system escs are very similar to the 3.1 but not just the same product rebranded, the motor can and endplate are different as well as the reciever wires for the esc, instead of being fixed in the casing itself the alien esc uses (I think it's called jst?) Connectors instead,
The heatsink also has a completley different design too
Old 25-04-2015

Hi Tyreman
More competition in the market is always a good thing.
There are also many racers that race on a budget.
If the product is good what's the price ?
Old 27-04-2015

Hi Fencer,

The price for a 150A speed controller (pics to follow as I dont have one of these yet) and a pro spec modified motor is £116 posted