Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 28-04-2010

Default TRF511 vs DEX410

Guys, :-)

I am thinking of swaping a 410 for a 511. The thing is the 410 is ultra resposive, so was thinking the 511 would be less, more forgiving?

Anybody think differently?
Old 28-04-2010

Jimmy will have to tell you. As he has a DEx410.

Ive seen 511's go for $435 on some websites, but you have
to buy the body separatly. So it totals close to $500 us dollars.

I beileve the DEX410 is just a trend, if it didnt win the worlds
people wouldnt be buying it. None of the top usa drivers
were in attendance so it didnt really matter who won.

No Tebo, No Cavalari, No Maifield.
Old 28-04-2010
LeeOtard

Werner,

I think you will find the 511 to be very easy to drive. The cars forgiving and likes to be pushed aswell, this makes for one fast 4wd!!!
Old 28-04-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Agree with pidge, easy to drive car and very smooth/forgiving. 511 rocks!!!
Old 28-04-2010

Also agree with pidge...On smaller, thight tracks I drove fast with the durango. But on bigger tracks with high speed cornering, large jumps and so on, I actually drove faster and was more secure with my 501...and 511 should just be better
Futaba 4PL
GMBK
Norway
Old 29-04-2010

Ok sounds interesting.
So anyone know who has a TRFand would like to swop for a DEX410 ..?

The DEX410 is not bad, it's just the older you get the slower the reflexes become. :-(
Old 30-04-2010

You can also wait for the "R" parts that seems to make DEX easier...
Old 30-04-2010

I would never pick a dex over a TRF. Just from what ive seen on the small tight track I race on. Its usually the xx4 and a 501 that lay it down while the durango constantly plays catch up. and most of these guys are pro/sponsored drivers. The 501 looks comfortable everywhere on the track and the xx4 just looks so dialed all the time. The dex just looks sluggish. Mind you the same driver running the dex has driven other cars, kyoshos, and hes faster with those. So my vote is 511. I personally have a 501 and its great, Im never scared to go hard and it never bites me in the a$$. Just an observation...and the 511 is easier to work on...so Ive heard at least.
Old 30-04-2010

Durango is probably too heavy with all that aluminum.
Sure the 511 and 501x have alot of alloy, but not as much as the durango.
Im sure the Durango is strong, but parts support is better on the 511.
And will flat out eat a durango for breakfast in the right hands.
The durango kinda reminds me of the predator car that team xtreme makes, just for show and tell.
Old 30-04-2010

i think the durango more than betters the tamiya for build quality and in turn value for money, the aluminium is very light and the whole kit is still underweight for brca rules hence the add-on weights. i would expect to be spending more on spares and repairs with the tamiya than with the durango - which would you rather have to pay for and rebuild after a game of chicken?
Old 30-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
i think the durango more than betters the tamiya for build quality and in turn value for money, the aluminium is very light and the whole kit is still underweight for brca rules hence the add-on weights. i would expect to be spending more on spares and repairs with the tamiya than with the durango - which would you rather have to pay for and rebuild after a game of chicken?
To be frank the 501 that I have is a strong car trust me I have had some bad crashes and just kept on racing.

TEL 01706 250007
For your trackside support.
Durango/Kyosho/Losi/Team associated/ Schumacher/ stockist
Old 30-04-2010
Mad Member

How many Durango's were in the A final At Taly...? And what car won the meeting...???
Old 30-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ELA View Post
How many Durango's were in the A final At Taly...? And what car won the meeting...???
To be fair though, pidge could be driving a tonka toy and would still be somewhere near the front!
Old 30-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpac View Post
To be fair though, pidge could be driving a tonka toy and would still be somewhere near the front!
To be fair there was a durango in the A final and it went really well... I think they're good cars and think this is a pointless discussion.

After all the proof is that there was 8 different manufacturers in the A final...

This is because there are alot of great cars on the market these days and I think personal preference plays a big part...
Old 01-05-2010
Mad Member

Think your rite neil, its also about hype and 'brand'. When tamyia 501x came out people where like 'plastic fantastic' not having one of them. Now as the results speak for themselves people are buying them.
Every new car that comes out is the next big thing to buy and the best thing out there, but 6 months down the line they are all on here for sale. Its take some people 6 months to adjust driving a new car especially if you only drive it 4 30 mins a week.

I am on the market for a new 4wd but i aint got a clue what to get, i was leaning towards a dex410 but i also like the 511x.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 01-05-2010

That whole build quality thing is an argument of them past that doesnt hold true, unless the car is a genuine P.O.S. If you crash bad enough you will break ANY car you drive. You will have to buy spares for ANY car you decide to buy. No choice will save you money in the long run as long as you use the darn thing.

For instance I own an XRAY truggy and I was told that they break less, have less problems and require less maintenance... while my diffs and drive shafts are bullet proof I still occasionally break a steering knuckle or rear hub. I dont have nagging little issues like some other manufacturers have but I still break parts....thats racing...if you never broke it would be called..I dunno...Fun time with out a care in the world lol. Is it better built than other cars, probably but believe me, no matter what you buy you will still break stuff. No car is indestructible and to believe so is bonkers. The guy I know that has the durango at my track sits there maintaining and fixing it all the time. I think Ive seen it run like 3-4 times. Yet I see the Losi and tamiya cars out running all the time.

This hobby unfortunately, is not one that is cheap. Theres always something to buy and theres always something breaking. I dont care if your car is a mixture of carbon fiber and gold. Sh1t will break. And it all rests on your driving skills. If you're a good driver it wont break...as often. If you are still learning, chances are you will break repeatedly no matter what.

Parts support is def. better for the Tamiya as parts can be found on EBAY, tamiya.com and other sites. I know none that sell durango parts but I havent really looked, but from what Ive seen I would get Tamiya. Just because you run a Durango doesnt mean you will automatically be better or vice versa for that matter. Buy what you want, but in the end its all up to how the car is in YOUR hands.
Old 02-05-2010

I agree, most cars good these days.

Some manufacturers just support their product beter than other. Lets say you release a car and later realise some of the parts are not up to standard? The righ thing to do would be to issue the right stuff to all the new car owners. Just my take on things.

Anyway, I would still like to trade my dex410 for a 511.
Anyone brave enough to test their reflexes with a ultra responsive dex410?

Thx. :-)
Old 03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV2382 View Post
I dont care if your car is a mixture of carbon fiber and gold.
i wonder what the downpayment would be on having all the non-metal parts in a kit refabricated in titanium or more realistically aluminium alloy..
seriously though, you're not wrong Tony - the pressure to perform better than the rest of the competition puts stress on the car and driver, and has to come out somewhere, sometimes it comes out as a win and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 03-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

iv got a 410 and love it,yes they have had some problems but who hasnt,iv seen my lap times improve and because they respond well to changes iv learnt on the track what different changes make,it was a very twitchy car when i first ran it,i ran a B44 and it was very easy to drive out the box,i used to run rallyX and started with an MBX5,i thought it was the best car i ran because it was so neutral,i then went to XRAY and my lap times went up because i didnt know what i was doing with setup,i think because we all love new toys we want somthing else and think it will be better than what we have at the time,like its been said all the top cars are very good,i tend to just get to grips with a car and then sell it because i think i cant get anymore out of it,in reality iv just learn how to drive it and now should be making the most of it...............i just hope XRAY dont bring out a 1/10 buggy

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
i just hope XRAY dont bring out a 1/10 buggy
lol, soon..