Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-07-2008

Default Transporting my rc stuff overseas?

I'm considering taking my buggy with me when we go and visit my partners parents in Slovakia this summer and wanted some advice.

How do I go about taking my kit (cars, batteries, chargers etc) on a plane? I plan to go with Ryanair.

Thanks
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Schumacher Cougar Classic -
- Xray T4 2013-
- Tamiya Monster Beetle Black Edition -

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 09-07-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

I know most guys that I have talked to in the states have a seperate bag. They put the majority of their stuff in it & check it. The radio, car & I think a battery they use as a carry on. I don't know the rules where you live but it would be good to find them. I have heard of some people just boxing it up & shipping it to where there going.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
IRT Member #193, IRT Est: 1999 - Team Mediocre - "Just good enough"

Rest In Peace, Susan S.(Mom) 5/14/44 - 12/24/07.
1st Win: June 26, 2008 - Trackside Dirt Oval

Old 10-07-2008
Mad Member

It used to be easy, but these days...

As regards packing the kit, buy one of those bags with wheels on that has a decent shape, and then line it with pieces of hardboard to give the contents protection. Put your pit box contents into fishing tackle boxes, and your tyres into cardboard boxes, and seal each one with tape. Pack these things around the outside, and put chargers (in boxes) and other delicate stuff in the middle.

Now you've got the get on the 'plane!! You will have to take your kit as 'sports equipment' in order to get additional weight allowance. This will cost you about £15 per segment (£30 return). You will have to trawl through the Ryanair booking details for some time to find what you need!

Put the Tx and car into boxes and into your clothes luggage for maximum protection - watch the weight. You can try and take them through security as hand-luggage, but if Security don't like it, you've lost them. Some do, Some don't...

When doing fly-away races, I prefer to fly easyJet as Ryanair are a pain, although on the last trip to Germany, Ryanair were fine. Scheduled airlines are much less hassle providing you are in the weight limit, and you get a higher weight limit. And in case you think I am being too picky, take a look at this pic - yes that's my racing kit on top of that luggage trailer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car stuff on trailer.jpg (31.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

When I went to Florida I put all my gear into 3 b4 boxes and put them in a normal suitcase, the Tx went with my clothes as carry on. Lee Farrer just took his team magic hauler and it got there ok

Airport security do wonder what the Tx is though...
Old 10-07-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

this tx,it's to fly the plane officer, that wouldnt get you arrested would it
Old 10-07-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

Some people I have heard carry an rc magazine with them. If they ask alot of questions pull out the mag and it helps explain.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
IRT Member #193, IRT Est: 1999 - Team Mediocre - "Just good enough"

Rest In Peace, Susan S.(Mom) 5/14/44 - 12/24/07.
1st Win: June 26, 2008 - Trackside Dirt Oval