Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 31-10-2013

Default Where to buy??

I am currently without a car and not racing at all, but am considering getting back in to things in the new year. I have always previously raced 1/10 electric but have always loved 1/8 nitro. For a variety of reasons, but mainly the additional expense and the necessity for increased thechnical know how it has never really happened for me though.

If I start up again I am currently considering whether to go back down the 1/10 route or whether to have a stab at 1/8 electric where I can race the larger scale buggies that I love, combined with the simplicity of electric.

I have been trying to find somewhere to look up all the options of models though but am struggling to find anywhere much that stocks the kits. I have found JE hold the Losi, MB the Durango, Inside Line the Kyosho, and Herts the Mugen. None of those mentioned though seem to take it seriously so I was wondering whether there was a dedicated go to for all things 1/8e where they stock multiple models and options?

Last edited by Skye; 31-10-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 31-10-2013
Mad Member

Try Future World Models.

My paintwork thread
Old 31-10-2013

Thanks Ian, that's more like it. What about the Serpent, does anywhere sell those? Not that I have a particular affinity to them, I am just trying to cover all angles!
Old 01-11-2013
oOple Advertiser

We carry Associated, Losi, Hobao, ECX 1/8th E buggies in stock (and Team C to order) here at DMS with full ranges of spares and options also all in stock - click the link to see the full range of kits here - http://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?...ategory_id=115
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 01-11-2013

Thanks for the link Darren. The 8.2e is a good looking piece of kit, and at £100 less than the Mugen and Losi it has a good looking price too! And it is £250 cheaper than the Kyosho!

Of course, I don't know the relevant merits of each buggy, but on value for money it definitely scores highly....
Old 01-11-2013
Mad Member

Hi mate,

I've been running a DEX408 and I love it, very similiar in layout to a 1/10th and has been bullet proof so far..

Loads of people tried to put me off it, but its great, plus it looks very sleek compared to the majority of bloaty 1/8ths...

Adam.
Old 01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by x313 View Post
Hi mate,

I've been running a DEX408 and I love it, very similiar in layout to a 1/10th and has been bullet proof so far..

Loads of people tried to put me off it, but its great, plus it looks very sleek compared to the majority of bloaty 1/8ths...

Adam.
Hi mate,

How long you been running the 408, where do you race it?

I found myself struggling with Tuesday nights so havent raced since Feb/March. In the new year I am going to try and juggle my time to get some racing again, but am now thinking if 1/8 electric might be the answer so I can race at weekends and not worry about rushing around on a tuesday. Also my XB9 nitro was my favourite car I've owned so would like another 1/8. I just struggled with the nitro racing element of things before, so 1/8 electric might be the perfect compromise?

Are there many 1/8e race where you go? What cars tend to be the most popular? For me the cost is a huge factor, so as much as I like the Kyosho I will never pay £600+ just for a kit. That is a scandalous price.

I have seen a DEX408 once and it did look good, so it is definately one to consider....
Old 01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
Are there many 1/8e race where you go? What cars tend to be the most popular? For me the cost is a huge factor, so as much as I like the Kyosho I will never pay £600+ just for a kit. That is a scandalous price.

I have seen a DEX408 once and it did look good, so it is definately one to consider....
I agree that the price of the Kyosho on face value is very steep, but you have to consider that it has several parts as standard that others only supply as an option (and not a cheap one at that).
The tki models come with aluminium (cnc) rear hubs and steering knuckles, radio posts and wing posts for example.
Some of the manufacturers may supply plastic parts (wing and radio posts) or simply cast aluminium (knuckles) instead.
I know that the cnc rear hubs for the mugen are circa £100, whereas the kyosho are around the £45 mark.
Maybe look out for a good used one for sale on here or ebay, I picked up my Mp9e second hand.
Old 01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPR8 View Post
I agree that the price of the Kyosho on face value is very steep, but you have to consider that it has several parts as standard that others only supply as an option (and not a cheap one at that).
The tki models come with aluminium (cnc) rear hubs and steering knuckles, radio posts and wing posts for example.
Some of the manufacturers may supply plastic parts (wing and radio posts) or simply cast aluminium (knuckles) instead.
I know that the cnc rear hubs for the mugen are circa £100, whereas the kyosho are around the £45 mark.
Maybe look out for a good used one for sale on here or ebay, I picked up my Mp9e second hand.
I give you that, I agree that machined aluminium parts improve the overall quality but it simply puts it out of my target price range.

I would rather spend almost half that amount on the kit initially (AE 8.2e is around £350) and then upgrade over time as and when I can afford it and once I have identified the weak points that need upgrading. All of the fancy alloy is not always necessary, so although it certainly looks nice then some of it may be little more than bling.

I dont know enough about this Kyosho specifically to comment on the pros or cons of this model, but unfortunately my pockets arent deep enough to justify purchasing a kit at around £650.

Having owned several Kyosho 1/10 buggies in the last couple of years though then I do know that unfortunately, whilst some of the higher price may be due to alloy hop ups included as standard, a large chunk of it is also down to exchange rates and such like. I am afraid that I refuse to pay over the odds for something due to the exchange rates, I will always buy something else that doesnt incur the same burden of such rates.
Old 01-11-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Hi mate,

How long you been running the 408, where do you race it?

I found myself struggling with Tuesday nights so havent raced since Feb/March. In the new year I am going to try and juggle my time to get some racing again, but am now thinking if 1/8 electric might be the answer so I can race at weekends and not worry about rushing around on a tuesday. Also my XB9 nitro was my favourite car I've owned so would like another 1/8. I just struggled with the nitro racing element of things before, so 1/8 electric might be the perfect compromise?

I've done a couple at Nene Valley and one of the E8 nationals, but I had some electrical issues with the motor I was using so had a naff day...

Not a huge number of electrics, but they are just so easy compared to the nitro's!!! (now I have a decent motor!)

Looking to do a few more next season
Old 02-11-2013
Mad Member

You know Xray have made an electric version of the XB9 don't you Rich ?

As you know I have no physical experience of this but off the shell you could get an Mugen which would work well ( having spoken to a few drivers ), aside that my knowledge is limited. I know I have 2 shells sat here for the DEX408 as the owners counld't get on with the cars and didn't want their shells back...

I know Nasir positively loves his Kyosho. He's owned, Mugen, JQ and AE. I'd ask him his opinion actually, worth considering what he says. I'll email him and let him know you're after info.

My paintwork thread
Old 02-11-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Thanks Ian, that's more like it. What about the Serpent, does anywhere sell those? Not that I have a particular affinity to them, I am just trying to cover all angles!
Russ at FWM did have a Serpent in stock a while ago. Give him a ring on Monday, you may have to bear with him if he's half asleep as he's getting used to his new born daughter keeping him up at night

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 03-11-2013
Mad Member

UNBIASED REVIEW=

Had my Kyosho for a couple of months now, Kyosho's been great so far, not had any issues with it and it just performs! Only driven it once, so can't say much about the driving but its a excellent bit of kit, Don't think its worth 650 pounds though, Kyosho make a HELL of a profit on those...... Even with all the Aluminium stuff..

Problem is this- Kyosho's anodizing wears too quickly and makes the shock towers, shock bodies and chassis look like shit after 1 run. They do now make the hard coating ones which are a HUGE improvement but cost around a million pounds.

and my very last issue with the Kyosho is the Instructions are a pain compared to Mugen. They aren't as clear as i hoped they would be.

Overall its a GREAT car and i love it! Its a very stable and comfortable car to work with it.

I wouldn't touch a JQ with a Barge pole to be honest with you..... If you want more details you can message me as i don't want to start a argument on Oople.

Mugen MBX7- FANTASTIC car!!! LOVED IT, the only reason i sold the Mugen is because it was a nitro and i had a lot of engine issues, i consistently won my finals with the Mugen. It was a super car to drive and to this day i love Mugens! If the MBX7E was out by the time i was considering my electric car i'd go for the Mugen as its MUCH cheaper and performs just as great or even better...

Associated RC8.2E-I had a Associated a couple of years ago and didn't really enjoy it that much. Problem was to make the car better you needed a lot of KYOSHO parts! i just didn't settle in with the car very much. 90 percent of the Associated team run Kyosho Towers,shocks, front vertical hubs,rear hubs etc etc.

Serpent- Good car, never owned one but seen them around the track couple of times. They handle pretty good once set-up correctly and are very nimble and quick around corners the layout of everything is super neat and tidy just like Sworkz.

Sworkz- Couple of my friends own this car and they seem to love it! I've noticed its a very stable setup, batteries on each side, esc on top etc. Its a real performer and for the price nothing beats it!

If you get ANY car, i recommend you get it from Russ at Future World Models,Excellent service,always quick and very helpful!

Hope that helps!

Couple of pics of my MP9E TKI:

Old 04-11-2013

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ive had no internet all weekend so apologies for seeming like I was ignoring you all....

Thanks for the lengthy write up Nas, it is very informative and much appreciated! You have sold the Mugen well to me, it sounds very appealing! I have just had a quick search online though and cannot see anyone listing the MBX7 Eco here in the UK. How does its price measure up against the competition?

I had seen that there was an XB9E, but the reviews seem a bit mixed on them. It appears that the conversion is a little like their recently announced XB4 2WD, ie a half assed effort at a conversion. I dont know that as fact, it is only what I have read so I am happy to stand corrected if this is innaccurate!?

How does this class currently fare on the quality of the conversions from nitro to electric. Are any of them completely redesigned to build a good electric car, or are they all a nitro car with a few different parts thrown in the box?
Old 04-11-2013
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Skye;814166]I have just had a quick search online though and cannot see anyone listing the MBX7 Eco here in the UK.

http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...nfo_E2010.html

Must say that is a very tasty bit of kit, very very tempted but know nothing about 1/8th racing so may have to be something for the future, apart from herts & slough where else is there to race these things?

Last edited by gainsy; 04-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2013

how did I miss that!?

Its a thing of beauty isn't it! I am no expert on 1/8 either mate, but with these electric beauties they aren't so different to the 1/10 buggies we know and love.

I'm not sure what tracks are in our region, other than Herts and Nene Valley (at Santa Pod, near Bedford) but I am sure there must be others. Can anyone else advise??

To be honest though, with Herts on your doorstep then you have a cracking track close to you already so that's a good starting point.
Old 04-11-2013
Super Moderator

I am trying to resist but the lure of the big buggies is strong, oh crap this is going to get expensive isn't it
Old 04-11-2013

Maybe, but it will be fun!
Old 04-11-2013
Mad Member

Guys I know your after new but have a chat with Matt Owen. He had am MBX6 that belonged to a good friend of mine. He kept it in tip top condition and I think Mat only used it for a race or two.

If you really want new then you will never go wrong with the Mugen, they are strong and very reliable. The X7 NITRO platform is the current BRCA RallyX champs car which is always a good start.

ESC and motor wise you won't go wrong with a V2 tenshock motor and hobbywing combo from "funs hobby "

Not sure if that helps or not

Ross

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 04-11-2013

owned or driven most of the e buggies but one stood out way above the rest for me personally. the tekno rc eb48 is by far the best rc car ive ever owned. so easy to drive an control in the air. I dont think anyone sells in the uk is the bad bit. i got mine in france 500euros.

The mbx7eco arrived in spain around 2 weeks ago an has been selling like hotcakes 600euro. not had a go with one yet but everyone i know with one loves it.