Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 15-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaFan View Post
Are these mags up for download somewhere? Would make interesting reading on those cold winter evenings.
Every issue of R/C Car Action from 1986 to 1999, each year as a zip file
http://e12m535i.com/MISC/radio-contr...ion-magazines/
Old 16-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post

Cool, I'll get these downloaded when I am home again. Will make some nice passtime to read up on rc car history.
Old 16-12-2014
Mad Member

Fantastic! Should keep me busy on those long journeys to the Desert
Old 17-12-2014

Quote:
Thanks terry, that's a big help !
I was just wondering who did the scans, are these from rc car action themselves? Also what happened to the mail order ads ?

Last edited by alcyon; 18-12-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 21-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
LWB mid with ZXR towers and ZX arms. With ZX arms no grinding is needed. I have plenty of used rear arms so if you are afraid to grind yours I can give you some.
Sorry for the late reply. I've got some longer bolts and some black nylon spacers to move the rear shocks into the correct position when using the Lazer towers.

I took it to my local club today and had a 20 minute practice. It was a tight track on a slippy hall floor and the car was absolutely brilliant. The problem of the rear suspension binding has gone and it felt really balanced in the air and very planted.

This is what I used:

image.jpg

I'm a bit unsure about grinding the rear arms down. Did you find it made a big difference
Old 21-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Thanks terry, that's a big help !
I was just wondering who did the scans, are these from rc car action themselves? Also what happened to the mail order ads ?
The scans are from R/C Car Action themselves. When you subscribe to their website you get access to the full library of Car Action magazine, from the first issue right up to the latest ones.

When they first went online an RC10talk member managed to find them on the website in an unsecured section, but didn't last long before they moved them. Another RC10talk member has plenty of free web space, so uploaded them and hid them on his site.
Old 22-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by J77MYF View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I've got some longer bolts and some black nylon spacers to move the rear shocks into the correct position when using the Lazer towers.

I took it to my local club today and had a 20 minute practice. It was a tight track on a slippy hall floor and the car was absolutely brilliant. The problem of the rear suspension binding has gone and it felt really balanced in the air and very planted.

This is what I used:

Attachment 74848

I'm a bit unsure about grinding the rear arms down. Did you find it made a big difference
I am running my car on dirt and I do find a big difference. I had a lot of on power oversteer ,like I said, I can give you 2 ground down arms so you don't have to grind yours. But if you like it as it is run it for some time and let us know if you are still happy with it. I now notice that you did not flip your arms. Since you did not flip them, then grinding the arms are not necessary.
Old 22-12-2014

Quote:

This is what I used:

Attachment 74848

I would add a second mount on the front of the plastic that the shock mount plate is screwed onto. The longer bolts will put more strain on the shock mount plate.

Quote:
The scans are from R/C Car Action themselves. When you subscribe to their website you get access to the full library of Car Action magazine, from the first issue right up to the latest ones.

When they first went online an RC10talk member managed to find them on the website in an unsecured section, but didn't last long before they moved them. Another RC10talk member has plenty of free web space, so uploaded them and hid them on his site.

I enjoy reading these old mags. I've checked a few so far, only thing that is a little complicated, is that articles are sometimes split in 2 or even 3 parts, and you get a "continued on page" and later another one. Maybe that gets better as I get to more recent issues, we'll see. But big thanks for the links.

Last edited by OptimaFan; 22-12-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 23-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaFan View Post
I would add a second mount on the front of the plastic that the shock mount plate is screwed onto. The longer bolts will put more strain on the shock mount plate.
Something like a washer on the front?
Old 23-12-2014

Quote:
Something like a washer on the front?

No, more like doubling up the shock tower. Daniel Rowland has something like that on his Custom Mid, can't find a pic right now.
Old 24-12-2014

[QUOTE=J77MYF;891141]. Hi bud, Are you racing at batley on the 28th? if so i may have a zx tower so you can double up, i have at least 3 zxr towers would they work? if you are i can bring them along with me if you like?

Last edited by rob m; 24-12-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 24-12-2014

[QUOTE=rob m;891511]
Quote:
. Hi bud, Are you racing at batley on the 28th? if so i may have a zx tower so you can double up, i have at least 3 zxr towers would they work? if you are i can bring them along with me if you like?
Hi Rob,

Yes I'm racing on the 28th.

It would be good if I could see if they'll double up
Old 24-12-2014

Here's a pic of Dan's double shock mount on his Optima Mid Custom:

He has the shocks on the rear, but it's also possible to flip the long bolts 180 degrees, and get the shocks mounted on the front. The main benefit of a double shock tower is much less impact force on the hole where the long bolt, that the shock is attached to, goes through the shock tower.

In this example double Optima Mid shock towers are used, for your car you would need the upper section of a ZR-R shock tower, to make the extra plate.