Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-03-2016

Thanks for the advice re. the diff.

Few bits done tonight.

I decided to buy the alloy Astute gearbox mounting posts as I keep reading the plastic ones snap all too easily,

I made a carbon support brace for the rear tower too,

Then.... DISASTER !!

I'm baffled, I've been very careful in handling the chassis, no screws over-tightened, no force put on it. I was literally in the process of mounting the rear tower when I noticed the gearbox was loose & found the chassis cracked. Whilst removing the gearbox & hingepin screws bits of plastic were just falling off, like it just decided to disintegrate I'm a bit gutted as I'd also ground off the cracked front bulkhead posts & replaced them with steel threaded posts.

I have one spare chassis (apart from the vgc one on the complete car I bought, which I don't particularly want to use) but this has seen a good amount of action.

I'd like to source another good chassis (if anyone has one let me know...)

I'll re-build it again with my only spare chassis whilst being SUPER careful, I'll also take the motor off until I've fully secured the gearbox to the chassis with the shock tower in place to prevent excess weight breaking the chassis. I will then move on to the front end, I guess it's all part of vintage tinkering

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/

Last edited by Dandare; 09-03-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2016
Awesome Admin

I think you need to talk to Jerry (jerzi) on here about him making you a carbon tub for that ��

http://www.oople.com/forums/member.php?u=9484
Old 09-03-2016

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandare View Post
Thanks for the advice re. the diff.

Few bits done tonight.

I decided to buy the alloy Astute gearbox mounting posts as I keep reading the plastic ones snap all too easily,

I made a carbon support brace for the rear tower too,

Then.... DISASTER !!

I'm baffled, I've been very careful in handling the chassis, no screws over-tightened, no force put on it. I was literally in the process of mounting the rear tower when I noticed the gearbox was loose & found the chassis cracked. Whilst removing the gearbox & hingepin screws bits of plastic were just falling off, like it just decided to disintegrate I'm a bit gutted as I'd also ground off the cracked front bulkhead posts & replaced them with steel threaded posts.

I have one spare chassis (apart from the vgc one on the complete car I bought, which I don't particularly want to use) but this has seen a good amount of action.

I'd like to source another good chassis (if anyone has one let me know...)

I'll re-build it again with my only spare chassis whilst being SUPER careful, I'll also take the motor off until I've fully secured the gearbox to the chassis with the shock tower in place to prevent excess weight breaking the chassis. I will then move on to the front end, I guess it's all part of vintage tinkering
OUCH! is it worth making a plate to shore that up with instead of using a new chassis, like I did for the front of my Xfactory car? I have a n old modelsport brushed speedo you can libererate from me next club meet if needed. Can't wait to see it going
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Last edited by Ben The Bike; 09-03-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I IZ RUBBISH AT SPELLING
Old 10-03-2016

Cheers Ben, but I'll go with 17.5 brushless for now as I also have a few brushless esc's spare. The car won't be getting lots of use so I'm hoping the tranny will cope

Got a bit more done today.

I've shimmed the hinge pins to reduce some of the 80's slack ! Can't say I like the way the wishbones twist when the suspension is compressed but I guess that's old Tamiya's for you

Schumacher turnbuckles fit nicely & nothing fouls throughout suspension travel. I've lost confidence with the rear of the chassis as the other one disintegrated.

I've managed to track down a brand new 'old' chassis from a model shop in.... Athens ! Yes, you read it right ! I might fit it to the other Madcap which is hardly used & use the removed chassis as a spare. I do wonder if it's possible/viable to almost make up an aluminium 'backbone' to run underneath the length of the chassis as I can see this one breaking too...

Anyway, tomorrow's job to assemble the diff using the Hop Up kit...

Old 13-03-2016

That's it, you've inspired me to get my super astute going

The rear of the madcap chassis near the 'diff hatch' was always a weak spot. The front kick up plate (where the wishbones attach) is worth keeping an eye on too.
Old 16-03-2016

Well, no pics but a brief update...

Things not going well with my little project. The second chassis has started to crack just like the first, not as bad but close. Also, the hinge pin blocks are cracking.

I carefully made up a 1.5mm alloy rear plate to secure to the underside of the chassis in an attempt to save it, it fits well but I've also noticed a section beneath the shock tower mount has also cracked !

I feel like giving up at this point, it's getting expensive & I've little to show for it except a pile of parts, some of no use or cracked. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my brand new (old stock) chassis, but I haven't decided whether i dare use it for this car or to bin the project entirely.

I suppose I'll have a look at things again soon with a different frame of mind, but not tonight...

Old 16-03-2016

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

Quote:
Well, no pics but a brief update...

Things not going well with my little project. The second chassis has started to crack just like the first, not as bad but close. Also, the hinge pin blocks are cracking.

I carefully made up a 1.5mm alloy rear plate to secure to the underside of the chassis in an attempt to save it, it fits well but I've also noticed a section beneath the shock tower mount has also cracked !

I feel like giving up at this point, it's getting expensive & I've little to show for it except a pile of parts, some of no use or cracked. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my brand new (old stock) chassis, but I haven't decided whether i dare use it for this car or to bin the project entirely.

I suppose I'll have a look at things again soon with a different frame of mind, but not tonight...
NEVER GIVE UP DAN I'm sure you could get an aluminium chassis made if you look around a bit, is the plastic cracking on bits from just one car or are they all brittle? I heard somewhere that you can soften some plastics by boiling them, but can't remember which plastics they were.
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Old 17-03-2016
Mad Member

I have a Madcap that my kids thrash around the beach with a 21 turn brushed motor in - even then I can hear the gearbox hurting so unsure how the torque of a brushless will end

I also have a parts car you can have mate, unsure how good it is but drop me an email and I'll send you pics.

Dan
Old 18-03-2016

Well I haven't really done anything since but here's the plate I made up, ignore the screws as it isn't quite finished & I've run out of countersink m3 screws. You'll noticed I haven't cut a hole for the access plate, i'm not sure whether to maintain max rigidity & accept the hassle in removing the gearbox if I need to adjust the diff or cut the hole & risk making the plate weak...

One of the two remaining good hinge pin blocks is cracked too I wonder if these could be 3D printed... Otherwise, not too bad. I'll build the diff, finish off the rear end & make a start on the front.

Old 26-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan,

I think there is a Mad Cap on ebay with a carbon chassis. May help you out.
Old 26-03-2016

Well I've been I bit busy during the week to achieve much except for building the diff,

Anyway, today I've pushed on. Rear is almost done, I need to order a few things including a pinion. The front end now has the carbon shock tower brace fitted,

This assembly then bolted to the chassis with the adjustable camber & steering links fitted. I've also replaced the awful 'coat hanger' steering linkage. There is still some slop but given it's design now it's acceptable,

And with the upper bulkhead fitted, I had to raise this 2mm to clear the revised steering linkages,

So this is it for now with the servo fitted, rolling chassis almost finished,

Next is the ESC & receiver, wheels & tyres.
I haven't decided whether to use one of the 2 original shells for it or to buy a new shell & do my own colours...

Does anyone know what other 2.2 wheels will fit the front of a Madcap ? I have the 5 spoke Ballistic 'vintage' rims along with being able to use my normal Team C/Kyosho rears but i'd prefer to have matching front solid white front rims.

Old 26-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Dan,

I think there is a Mad Cap on ebay with a carbon chassis. May help you out.
I've seen this, it's in my watch list thanks fella.

Old 26-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

!! Go Dan Go !!
Old 27-03-2016

I'm going I'm going

I've ordered a brand new shell/wing too so I'll do it my normal 'race' theme

Old 27-03-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats the way Dan.........
Old 28-03-2016

So tonight I've completed the electrics so we're nearly done. I cant do much else until I order a pinion(s), front tyres, battery & wait for the new shell to arrive.

A few pics:

Old 28-03-2016

That's mintier than a minty thing
Old 05-04-2016

Thought I'd do a little update. Tyres arrived as has my shiny new shell & wing

Thing's to do list:

Prep & spray new shell.
The front wheels are slightly narrower where the bearings seat so need to add a small spacer to the axle before mounting wheels otherwise the nut does up before the wheel is tight.
Fit pinion & check diff.
Replace oil in the shocks, rears need a heavier spring.
Still not happy with flex front to rear so will look into manufacturing an alloy top plate.
Set toe & camber all round.

Here are some pics with an existing used shell:

Getting there, should be ready for the end of July

Old 07-04-2016

That's a used shell? Already looks "killer" this way!
Old 07-04-2016

Quote:
Thought I'd do a little update. Tyres arrived as has my shiny new shell & wing

Thing's to do list:

Prep & spray new shell.
The front wheels are slightly narrower where the bearings seat so need to add a small spacer to the axle before mounting wheels otherwise the nut does up before the wheel is tight.
Fit pinion & check diff.
Replace oil in the shocks, rears need a heavier spring.
Still not happy with flex front to rear so will look into manufacturing an alloy top plate.
Set toe & camber all round.

Here are some pics with an existing used shell:

Getting there, should be ready for the end of July
OH YES!

Love the HPI five spoke 2.2 fronts

What shocks are those? Schumacher KF?

Last edited by cjm_2008; 07-04-2016 at 06:51 AM.