Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 29-08-2017

Default Durango dex210

Hi,
I'm new to this having had an Optima mid when I was a kid. I've seen 2 x Durango Dex210s for sale. Seems a good option for me and my son to race as they come with everything including 4 lipos for about £200. However, a bit worried about the fact that Durango have gone out of business. They seem good value but would it be a mistake to buy?

Thanks

Kris
Old 29-08-2017

I would probably avoid them, what a lot of people do is find what is popular where you intend to race and go with that. That way someone will have spares and there will be plenty of set up knowledge too.
Old 29-08-2017
Mad Member

Hi Kristian,

Design-wise the Durango cars are well thought out and from that point of view I'll sorely miss the brand. Still I would definitely avoid a Durango since you have the choice. Here's why:

(Revell-)Hobbico (Durango's distributor/owner) announced that no more parts will be produced. Since Durango's production partner (KingStar) went bankrupt somewhere last winter, I wouldn't be surprised if no parts have been produced since then. Whatever is the case, it does leave uncertainty about how many (new) spare parts are still out there. And even if there are a lot of parts, the stockpile is riddled with quality problems varying from batch to batch - some batches are great, some are useless even if you got the parts for free.

Instead, I would go for a brand like Associated or Schumacher - just to name two examples. They have a long history, good reputation and parts are easily available. Both brands have a tendency to re-use parts where possible when a new model is introduced and thus parts are generally available for some time even after the model is discontinued.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 29-08-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 30-08-2017

Thanks both. I have always been an associated fan and the current Schumachers look really good so will likely look at those. Kyosho quality has always been good, are they worth the extra? Also like the look of the Yokomos.

I've just restored an original RC10 and also building a Cat XLS now. Would these be hopelessly slow against modern cars?

Having got back into looking at this, especially vintage cars, I'm really mourning having sold my Turbo Optima mid about 15 years ago, what a mistake!

Thanks

Kris
Old 30-08-2017

I still run an original Optima Mid against modern cars from time to time and it does pretty well. Your vintage cars will be OK against modern stuff but you might struggle for parts.

If I was you I'd look for something more modern that has good parts backup.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC