Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 23-07-2008

Default Xcelorin overheating in Lazer ZX-5 SP

Hi all!

Perhaps this is best posted in the Team Losi Xcelorin-thread.
But I thought I'd give it a go here first...

I got the Team Losi Xcelorin 7500kv sensorless combo fitted in my dear Lazer ZX-5 SP.
Used the pinion provided with the kit (17t) and I can run for about 5 minutes (using 5s Intellect 4600mAh battery packs) then it quits on me and I have to wait for 20 second or some, then I can get going again only to get a couple of laps before it quits on me again. Typical overheating.
So I tried using a 16t pinion instead, its the smallest one I could find for the Lazer. I also cut up two small scoops so the ESC and motor could get some more cold air.
But I still have the same problem with overheating.
I took a closer look at the gearing chart provided with the motor. And it says "14,4". Guess I'm a bit off
But the smallest pinion gear Kyosho supply is the 16t. And I don't really want to go down in speed...

Anyone else running a similar configuration??

Also the, absolutely beautiful, body is really, really tight.
The fan sometimes scratches it.
So I got a theory here. That sometimes the body get wacked and keep the fan from rotating. So I removed the fan today and fitted it with straps on the side instead. Gonna give it another go tomorrow.
But if this doesn't do it... Any suggestions?
Did I get the wrong motor for this car?
Should I try and get an even smaller pinion and add another cell to my 5s battery packs?

Oh, forgot to mention that I've tried different timing-settings. Normal, High and now for the last run, Low.
Old 23-07-2008

why just use kyosho pinion'sany fitdon't no much about brushless system's,i would try 14 tooth pinioncould be over geared,can you tell if car is reaching top speed,before end off stright?
Old 23-07-2008

Well.... I don't know. I could use other pinions of course
Just thought there might be some odd reason they didn't produce any smaller ones

Gonna take a look around for some 15t and 14t's

And yes, the car reaches top speed at about half the straight.
Old 23-07-2008
Woop Woop Member

1. gear down to a 14-15 tooth the losi motors do rev very well so can afford to be geared down a little
2. cut a hole/scoop above the fan to allow the fan to pull air through to the speedo as the lazers shell is so good at hugging the car that it struggles to get air through it so open up all air vents and trim the rear of the shell to allow air out as well. if you have a steady flow of air through the car it will run a lot cooler

hth

ps just seen your last post. leave gearing alone and just get air flow through the car

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline