Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 17-09-2013

Default Gluing cut staggers

I'm seem to struggle a little gluing staggers up and making sure they sit straight against the rim

What tips and techniques have you got when gluing yours please???
Old 17-09-2013

don't glue them they just bunch up
Old 17-09-2013

You need to on Kyosho rims!!!
Old 17-09-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Get James Lucas to do it, like me!
Old 17-09-2013

Lol dudders. But you don't learn that way
Old 17-09-2013
SHRCCC Legend

And you don't ask stupid questions on forums! If in doubt I give the tasks to others! LOL
Old 17-09-2013

Trim the inside diameter of the tyre, to make the diameter that sit in to rim groove(s) a touch bigger. I noticed the glue tends to cause bunching by being forced into the inner vertical step of the rim and the innner wall of the tyre as you are applying the glue. due to the tyre being so tight on the rim. or use a very slow curing super glue...
Old 17-09-2013

I thought about cutting a v in the bead of the tyre to drop glue in and work it around the rim
Old 17-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I don't glue staggers or cut staggers on centro rims. Never had one come off yet.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 18-09-2013

nope I don't glue either and never had one come off
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 18-09-2013

I usually cover my fingers in glue and some of it eventually ends up on the tyre and rim, total pita those tires!
Old 19-09-2013
Mad Member

Cleanest method I have found:
  • Mount dry tyre on dry rim. (Make sure its to the edge all the way around)
  • Pull tyre bead from the rim at the top and run a bead of glue (has to the thin stuff) on the rim and place the bead back in the position you want it.
  • Tyre bead forces the glue around the rim so it will be instantly glued in place.. (you may need another small blob on the other side if its missed any)
  • Leave it to dry whilst doing the other rim and then repeat for the other side.
This way, you dont get the glue inside the return edge of the tyre and its fairly true as you dont have to try to re-position the tyre whist the glue is drying.
Old 19-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy View Post
I thought about cutting a v in the bead of the tyre to drop glue in and work it around the rim
I cut 4 v's around the bead and drop a small amount of glue in each. Havent had a tyre come off yet.
Old 20-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy View Post
I'm seem to struggle a little gluing staggers up and making sure they sit straight against the rim

What tips and techniques have you got when gluing yours please???
I've just found a new way to glue these!

Fit the tyre onto the rim as normal, then pull up the bead and carefully work a small (2-3mm diameter) phillips screwdriver between the tyre and rim so that it comes out the other side (so it's holding both tyre beads away from their respective grooves on the rim).

When you turn the screwdriver clockwise it works its way anticlockwise around the wheel (because it grips the rubber tyre and slides on the plastic rim) meaning you can apply a spot of glue where the tyre and rim meet, move the screwdriver around a bit and do it again until you've worked your way around the whole wheel.

So far i've only used this method to glue one side at a time but it worked very well and produced no mess so I expect if you're organised you could do both sides at once. I should be OK doing the other side as the screwdriver end will be able to fit inside the tyre carcass. Just be careful when you pull the screwdriver out as these tyres are so tight on the rim, this could cause a spot of glue to go somewhere you don't want it to (I always wear safety glasses when gluing tyres).

You can also use this method to glue motorcycle and MTB handlebar grips if you have a long enough 2mm T-Bar allen key to reach inside the entire length of the grip.

Old 20-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
I've just found a new way to glue these!

Fit the tyre onto the rim as normal, then pull up the bead and carefully work a small (2-3mm diameter) phillips screwdriver between the tyre and rim so that it comes out the other side (so it's holding both tyre beads away from their respective grooves on the rim).

When you turn the screwdriver clockwise it works its way anticlockwise around the wheel (because it grips the rubber tyre and slides on the plastic rim) meaning you can apply a spot of glue where the tyre and rim meet, move the screwdriver around a bit and do it again until you've worked your way around the whole wheel.

So far i've only used this method to glue one side at a time but it worked very well and produced no mess so I expect if you're organised you could do both sides at once. I should be OK doing the other side as the screwdriver end will be able to fit inside the tyre carcass. Just be careful when you pull the screwdriver out as these tyres are so tight on the rim, this could cause a spot of glue to go somewhere you don't want it to (I always wear safety glasses when gluing tyres).

You can also use this method to glue motorcycle and MTB handlebar grips if you have a long enough 2mm T-Bar allen key to reach inside the entire length of the grip.

Just done bead number 2 and it's all good