Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 25-02-2008

Talking UKMICROX TRACK DESIGN

UKMICROX TRACK DESIGN
Right then Guys and Gals below is the track design for the UKMICROX to be held on March 16th in Cardiff.

Remember that there are still 2 weeks until entries close and entries have gone over the half way mark now.

If this doesn't want to make you enter i dont know what will. Come and be part of the BEST independant micro in the UK

Old 25-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks tidy, just one thing though, unless that bridge is to be made of clear perspex it needs to be flipped though 90 degrees so you can a. see the down ramp and b. see under it.

If you don't you'll be hitting the corner after it flat out with no idea when or if the car is going emerge out the other side of the bridge
Old 25-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You'll have to get on the rostrum on the day champ and see what you think

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 26-02-2008

Craig's point is quite valid and one that Bill and indirectly Steve have already pointed out.

Bill and Steve both raised the point about going under before going over the bridge to ensure all of us "honest" drivers can't take advantage of accidently jumping off the bridge and gaining half a lap or more (we wouldn't do that would we!!!)

We will make the decision on the "under / over, over / under" option on the bridge when the track is laid.

Internally the tunnel will be "lined" with 3 ply to try and reduce the incidence of coming off the track.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
We will make the decision on the "under / over, over / under" option on the bridge when the track is laid.

Internally the tunnel will be "lined" with 3 ply to try and reduce the incidence of coming off the track.

Thanks for the feedback.

lining the inside is a very good idea, if a car should end up under the up/down ramp it is almost impossible to get it out without completely blocking the track, and the poor ol marshall will end up with cars hitting him from all angles
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My only thought is to move the double back towards the dog leg corner just after the top left drift section..keep it as a double though cos doubles are ace!!

That way if you crash you dont crash under the bridge

Cant wait..its gonna rock my socks off

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 26-02-2008

now what i was thinking might be quite good would be to turn the tabletop through 90 degrees so you go under before you go over. the reasons are

1/ it stops the cheating beggers from cheating and

2/ you could then move the double closer to the tabletop so that you come off the down ramp of the double and litterally go straight onto the takeoff of the tabletop kinda like a quad jump but not lol... if that makes any sense. it would really make that part of the track quick for the people with self contol and land on the downramps and slow and time consuming for the people who just wanted to go full throttle everywhere.

what do you think?
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Post a piccy!
Your good with paint

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 26-02-2008

Old 26-02-2008

something a bit like that
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

hmm..interesting.
Have a word with Roy

Paint r0x0rs!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
unless that bridge is to be made of clear perspex it needs to be flipped though 90 degrees so you can a. see the down ramp and b. see under it.

If you don't you'll be hitting the corner after it flat out with no idea when or if the car is going emerge out the other side of the bridge
I was thinking of you when I wrote this Bill, must be why you agree

Down ramp to up ramp sounds a good idea tho'
Old 26-02-2008

no i'm just hoping that with my brushless i'll be able to take off on the double and land on the bridge downramp lol
Old 27-02-2008

Thats looking the biz fellas, the "s" bend under the bridge at full bore should be scary, fun tho !!!, how about a bit of drift at the and of that section ?

Either way it's gonna sort the men from the boys !!!
Old 27-02-2008
Mad Member

Looks much better like that! Seeing as Cris has no noobish admin powerz over here thought id add my input. And with the revised version is a tour of whats different

1) As you come down the main straight, instead of turning and then hitting the drift section you enter a drift section while turning. Having a drift section once your car is already moving won't make much difference to your driving style to be fair so having the drift while you turn will make it much more technical

2) You follow the track round and go under 'Craig & Bills Bridge mod' and instead of hitting a jump you enter a nice drift section for the first hair pin and then the 2nd lot of hair pins is with the flip flop jumps as it was planned.

3) Follow the track round and then you will get the curved take off (Which they have already) but instead of the cars just landing to flat (Which was a bit painfull at the FTX GP) have a nice sheet of hardboard stuck up for the landing over the edited round bridge by Bill then hit the straight!

And thats it, to me thats much better! What you think?

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 27-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think you should let the club build the track the day before, and be happy that a club is willing to put a lot of effort into it. To be honest, we ALL have different idea's of what should and shouldn't be on the track, personaly I think there is far to much carpet for an 'off-road' track but that is just me.

Dan, where are the pics from the FTX?
Old 27-02-2008

Yea good point IMO i think we should have a big indoor dirt track but it aint going to happen.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 27-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The drift sections are where the carpet is stratigiaclly placed unless you plan on taking a stanley knife to COBRAs carpet I suspect it will stay as is.

I've no idea what you meen by "have a nice sheet of hardboard stuck up for the landing" is that some kind of brizzle talk

To be fair to COBRA this track is being built as a micro track and I recon they've learned a bit from the last track, which remember was their first off-road indoor track ever, I recon this one will be ace!

Bill , Oxley are you gonna be in Cardiff for the track build on the Saturday?
Old 27-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I think you should let the club build the track the day before, and be happy that a club is willing to put a lot of effort into it. To be honest, we ALL have different idea's of what should and shouldn't be on the track, personaly I think there is far to much carpet for an 'off-road' track but that is just me.
I'm sure everyone is more than happy that COBRA are willing to host this event that will be awesome and design the track, but development is the steps to perfection. It's not hard to post up our ideas on a forum is it? We might aswell have the input to make this the best track it can be! It's not like the tracks been constructed yet so constructive criticism is all adding to make this the best track it can be

Also i just sent the whole write-up from the FTX Grand-prix and the snaps to Roy

Quote:
I've no idea what you meen by "have a nice sheet of hardboard stuck up for the landing" is that some kind of brizzle talk
haha sorry craig, i mean have a hardboard sheet or something for a landing. At the FTX GP there was quite a nice curved take off but no landing as they didn't think we would be doubling it

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 27-02-2008

problem with track design, as Craig will know, if to many people are involved in the design, more often it isn't a hit more a miss. You just got to trust us that the track will work and be good, I have a vested interest in the track being right, as I want to race on it.

I do think though, that if you can't drive with a restrained right thumb, you deserve to go turtle for 20 seconds waiting for the marshal. We can ALL fly over jumps, but landing in the right place is the hard bit.

Maybe track pics should be kept secret so it is a nice susprise for the racers on the day?